Tattoo

Purple-Haze

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi guys:

OK, so I've had some very stressful times as of late... In LITERALLY 10 days, I will know the direction of my future. I'm quite stressed out and find myself thinking the worst. Anyway, until I know for sure (either way), I can't seem to rest easy. I've thrown a few years of my life into something that, until now, I didn't even know I wanted that badly (until of course I had to deal with the possibility of it being taken away from me).

Don't mean to sound so cryptic. But anyway... This ordeal has been such a mentally exhausting one. I told myself, if I get through this ish, I am going to do something I've always wanted to do: get myself a tattoo. My bf and I are planning to go out and get tats to mark this occasion of mine.

I'm thinking of either getting something in my native tongue or getting the "Om" which is, for me, a very important symbol.

So, for those of you who have tattoos, what was the experience like? Did you spend a great deal of time designing or did you leave it up to your tattoo artist? How was the pain? I have very low tolerance for pain (I'm a big wuss). I've had my nose pierced and that wasn't too bad (although it stung quite a bit initially). I HATE needles. The last time I remember getting blood drawn, they had to literally hold my arm down because I was so nervous.

I want to hear your tattoo experiences, regrets and joys.

Also, keep me in your thoughts. I wanna get out of this little ordeal alive and shining.

Reaction score
No Tatto for me yet, but I was thinking of getting one of Giger's "Alien" on my shoulder... like this, http://www.alienscollection.com/gigerexpo.jpg

BTW I hope your life course will go the way you are expecting in 10 days...in fact I know it will, because you are one smart cookie:)

I changed my life course as well...

iqqi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have a tattoo.

I got it almost 10 years ago (heehee I feel old saying that).

My best friend (a guy) was so upset, he told me I was going to look like a gangster truck driving sailor with a 40, haha. He never got to see it, as he died shortly after I got it. But I wish he would have because...

It is so sexy.

It is simple, and black, and meaningful. It is in another script as well. The fact that I am very ladylike in the way I dress, and act when I am out, adds to the allure of my tat. It is a contrast. Men go crazy for it, and of course it is the #1 thing they use to start conversations. (SEE I AM helpful :p )

I have NEVER once regretted it, although I was scared I would at the time.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my tat, it is my favorite accessory of all time.

Purple-Haze

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
EricInTheHouse said:
No Tatto for me yet, but I was thinking of getting one of Giger's "Alien" on my shoulder... like this, http://www.alienscollection.com/gigerexpo.jpg

BTW I hope your life course will go the way you are expecting in 10 days...in fact I know it will, because you are one smart cookie:)

I changed my life course as well...
Dude, that would make one bad ass tattoo! Any idea where you want to get it (and when)?

And thanks for the kind words, Eric. I hope to get through this soon enough. Until then, I shall obsess and worry myself silly.

Purple-Haze

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
iqqi said:
I have a tattoo.

I got it almost 10 years ago (heehee I feel old saying that).

My best friend (a guy) was so upset, he told me I was going to look like a gangster truck driving sailor with a 40, haha. He never got to see it, as he died shortly after I got it. But I wish he would have because...

It is so sexy.

It is simple, and black, and meaningful. It is in another script as well. The fact that I am very ladylike in the way I dress, and act when I am out, adds to the allure of my tat. It is a contrast. Men go crazy for it, and of course it is the #1 thing they use to start conversations. (SEE I AM helpful :p )

I have NEVER once regretted it, although I was scared I would at the time.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my tat, it is my favorite accessory of all time.
Glad to hear you have no regrets re: the tattoo. See, when I do get it, I want to be able to go ahead with 100% certainty. My mom WILL flip out if she finds out about it (my mommy still thinks I am her property). But it won't be too conspicuous (i.e. on my forearm). I'm thinking of getting it over my right shoulder (or there about).

My bf and I were thinking of getting a phrase we use and split it into two (so he gets the first word and me the second)... BUT we've decided to get that later. Right now, I want something like this: http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acropolis/8891/FancyTamilOm2.GIF or even this: http://www.kalilily.net/weblog/kalired.jpg (I am named after her...so it holds a bit of significance for me).

Whatever it is, I want it to be a bit subdued but still true to its meaning.

Reaction score
Purple-Haze said:
Dude, that would make one bad ass tattoo! Any idea where you want to get it (and when)?

And thanks for the kind words, Eric. I hope to get through this soon enough. Until then, I shall obsess and worry myself silly.
Whew, i want it perfect like you see it in these pics, and it will take some research and talking around to find the best tatooist. This isn't a simple heart or something solid, rather a complex piece of art concieved by H.R. Giger. It simply has to be perfect if it will be on my body forever.

The location of it will probably be my left shoulder at about 8"x8" or so, maybe bigger. I don't want it exposed to constant sunlight, and in plain view. I don't want it to fade, and I want to keep the mysteriousness of the alien the way it should be.

Here's another option I considered... http://www.projectfishbulb.com/minotaure/images/necronom4.jpg

Purple-Haze

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
That is the Om (the script is in Tamil). You may be familiar with this version of the "Om", which is in sanskrit: http://www.niyama.org/_Media/om-yoga-mark-green_textmedium.gif.

The Om is said to be the sound created when the universe came into existence (a vibration that formed a sound, "ommm"). Some say it was the sound that initiated creation.

It is a very sacred sound and one that some people chant during meditation (you emphasize the mmmmmm part). The Om is very intimately linked to life and breath (hence its use in mediation). There is a great deal behind the Om symbol (about states of existence, etc). When I freak out (which I seem to be doing more of lately, I chant the Om a few times...).

The Om, to me, represents calm and life. It's certainly something I'd want to have on my body.

The other pic is of Goddess Kali, who is known as the destroyer of evil, a protector of sorts. I won't be afraid with her image imprinted on me. :D

Purple-Haze

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
EricInTheHouse said:
Whew, i want it perfect like you see it in these pics, and it will take some research and talking around to find the best tatooist. This isn't a simple heart or something solid, rather a complex piece of art concieved by H.R. Giger. It simply has to be perfect if it will be on my body forever.

The location of it will probably be my left shoulder at about 8"x8" or so, maybe bigger. I don't want it exposed to constant sunlight, and in plain view. I don't want it to fade, and I want to keep the mysteriousness of the alien the way it should be.

Here's another option I considered... http://www.projectfishbulb.com/minotaure/images/necronom4.jpg
Why an alien?

Purple-Haze

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
EricInTheHouse said:
I like this one a lot...
That's not exactly what I want (it's a little too "rough" for my liking)...but I do want an image of her. There are various images available online, but none have quite captured my interest. I'd probably have to go in with a sketch like this one and get the artist to alter it so that it fits me and my personality.

Also, I wouldn't want as much colour. I'd prefer darker cleaner lines than all that colour.

Reaction score
Purple-Haze said:
That is the Om (the script is in Tamil). You may be familiar with this version of the "Om", which is in sanskrit: http://www.niyama.org/_Media/om-yoga-mark-green_textmedium.gif.

The Om is said to be the sound created when the universe came into existence (a vibration that formed a sound, "ommm"). Some say it was the sound that initiated creation.

It is a very sacred sound and one that some people chant during meditation (you emphasize the mmmmmm part). The Om is very intimately linked to life and breath (hence its use in mediation). There is a great deal behind the Om symbol (about states of existence, etc). When I freak out (which I seem to be doing more of lately, I chant the Om a few times...).

The Om, to me, represents calm and life. It's certainly something I'd want to have on my body.

The other pic is of Goddess Kali, who is known as the destroyer of evil, a protector of sorts. I won't be afraid with her image imprinted on me. :D
This is cool... That is why people say "ommmm, Ommmm in a humming manner when they do worship and that kind of thing.. I did not know this, and wow, it seems that every little thing has some sort of meaning to it.
Thanks for sharing that, and two quite well thought out tatoos no doubt.:D

Reaction score
Purple-Haze said:
Why an alien?
Well it's not just an alien, but rather the alien created from H.R. Giger, and it has a lot of meaning for me. I can explain it, but it will take a book, lol..

Yeah the H.R. Alien has a ton more meaning and representation on my life than just being merely a movie character.

It's the Alien from AVP... do you know the alien I'm talking about?.

Purple-Haze

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
EricInTheHouse said:
This is cool... That is why people say "ommmm, Ommmm in a humming manner when they do worship and that kind of thing.. I did not know this, and wow, it seems that every little thing has some sort of meaning to it.
Thanks for sharing that, and two quite well thought out tatoos no doubt.:D
Eric, if ever you get nervous, I suggest you try chanting it. It's quite simple. You say "O" and then really draw out the "m". So it would sound like this: Oooommmmmmmmmmmmmm. It might sound like hippie baloney, but it does work wonders in terms of calming you down.

Magma

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I have a few. I have wristband, a shoulder cap piece, one on my foot, and one on my back. I got the one on my back when I was sixteen. The placement was lame and it was just some flash art I picked off the wall. Lame.

But I love my other tattoos. My shoulder cap piece I designed myself and had the whole piece done in a blood red with some tip shading. Then I had the opportunity to have a Hawaiian artist freestyle some designs around it. Talk about trust.

I describe the pain as more annoying than painful, kind of like going to the dentist. It's almost like someone continuously scratching you with a needle. Ha! I guess that's exactly what it is! But everyone is different. I actually LIKE the feeling of getting a tattoo. I think it's a pleasurable pain.

I've never once regretted my tattoos, even the lame one on my back. They all signify a time in my life, and I can look at my tattoos and remember who I dated, who my friends were, what I was doing, where I was living, and how I felt about love and life. My tattoos have opened more a few sets and I've actually crafted a NLP pattern about tattoos. But I doubt you care about that.

Congrats on your new addiction!

Purple-Haze

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
EricInTheHouse said:
Well it's not just an alien, but rather the alien created from H.R. Giger, and it has a lot of meaning for me. I can explain it, but it will take a book, lol..

Yeah the H.R. Alien has a ton more meaning and representation on my life than just being merely a movie character.

It's the Alien from AVP... do you know the alien I'm talking about?.
No I don't. I just wondered if you chose an alien because it reflects some of your own struggles (i.e. feeling like an outsider).

For most people, a tattoo is a very personal thing and they often choose symbols/words, etc that have a great deal of personal meaning.

iqqi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Magma said:
I describe the pain as more annoying than painful, kind of like going to the dentist. It's almost like someone continuously scratching you with a needle. Ha! I guess that's exactly what it is! But everyone is different. I actually LIKE the feeling of getting a tattoo. I think it's a pleasurable pain.
I agree with this assessment.

Even the pleasure part. But I am kind of sadistic. I also like my hair being pulled.

Purple-Haze

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Magma said:
I have a few. I have wristband, a shoulder cap piece, one on my foot, and one on my back. I got the one on my back when I was sixteen. The placement was lame and it was just some flash art I picked off the wall. Lame.

But I love my other tattoos. My shoulder cap piece I designed myself and had the whole piece done in a blood red with some tip shading. Then I had the opportunity to have a Hawaiian artist freestyle some designs around it. Talk about trust.

I've never once regretted my tattoos, even the lame one on my back. They all signify a time in my life, and I can look at my tattoos and remember who I dated, who my friends were, what I was doing, where I was living, and how I felt about love and life. My tattoos have opened more a few sets and I've actually crafted a NLP pattern about tattoos. But I doubt you care about that.

Congrats on your new addiction!
Hmmm. I also HATE going to the dentist.

Did you take any meds before going in? I'll have to read up on that (if there are any painkillers one can take). Also, were you able to go out that day itself (lame question, I know). I have a party I'll be attending and I don't want to be a sour puss nursing my tattooed shoulder. Will I be able to shower right away?

And thanks for the welcome. I wouldn't say it's an addiction (as I have yet to get one) BUT I do see myself getting a few over the next few years.

Reaction score
Purple-Haze said:
Eric, if ever you get nervous, I suggest you try chanting it. It's quite simple. You say "O" and then really draw out the "m". So it would sound like this: Oooommmmmmmmmmmmmm. It might sound like hippie baloney, but it does work wonders in terms of calming you down.
When we were kids we would play around and say Ommmmmmm ommmmmm because we thought it was cool to be like devil worshipers or something:cool:
This is the first time I actually found out the meaning of Ommmm , I thought it was just something they said while worshiping/medatating for the heck of it, lol

It's the sound the universe made when being created.... That is really cool to think about... and it freaks me out a bit, lol:nervous: