Tanning......

blinkwatt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Does anyone here go tanning? How often and how long did you go to build your 'base'? Any input would be appreciated.

Jariel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I use tanning bed between once a week and once a fortnight. It does make you look and feel great and well worth it. The first time I got burnt bad, so I recommend you only go on for short periods to begin with and build up. There should be plenty of guides and information at the tanning salon to help determine your skin type and how long you should use them for.

It's a great place to meet women too. ;)

blinkwatt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well here is the thing....I go to the tanning bed at my gym,the guys lets me in for free=I save alot of $$$. It's kinda one of those things,if I scratch his back he will scratch mine,my bud lets him into the movies whenever,he lets the both of us the tanning bed and so on. I went for 10 minutes the first time,nothing too dramatic happened just slight pinkness. I'l go for another 10 tonight,if I can handle it easily again then up another 2 minutes or so. The guy who lets us use the equipment knows nothing about tanning other then how to turn on the machine,so anything you tell me is new to me. How long did you go the first time to get burnt?

~attrACTION~

Banned
Reaction score
I was going to post about tanning but thought it would be too "metro" for the forum :crackup:

Still, glad someone else did. Anyhow, since I live in the sunshine state, I'm going to be lying in the backyard for this. Thanks Jariel for that tip, I'll try tan less each time and build up like you mentioned. I burnt myself once a long time ago, it really sucks - and hurts!

Do you guys use any lotions like sunscreen? If so, what SPF do you recommend if I want to actually tan?

blinkwatt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
~attrACTION~ said:
Do you guys use any lotions like sunscreen? If so, what SPF do you recommend if I want to actually tan?
It's a misconception that sunscreens are good for tanning, they aren't, they are actually the opposite of what you want=harder to tan. I have gone twice,10 minutes two days in a row w/o any lotion of some sort. Just 20 minutes in the booth and I'm already liking the new skin tone,and I'm not even burnt! I don't know if anyone cares but the booth I uses is loaded with 160 watt bulbs.

F.Y.I. 15-30 minutes in a booth=a day at the beach.

blinkwatt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Espi said:
I live in FLA, so I can jog shirtless to get my tan, and I love to tan. It wnhances your physique...considerably.
I noticed that my abs are benefiting from it the most,only 10 minutes 2 days in a row and they already look more defined! I can't wait till I'm actually brownish,only a couple more weeks away!

danno1

Don Juan
Reaction score
I am trying to find a good can tan. I want to keep my skin healthy

blinkwatt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
danno1 said:
I am trying to find a good can tan. I want to keep my skin healthy
Dude don't trip soo much off that 'tanning is dangerous' stuff you hear. 15-30 minutes in a tanning bed=one day at the beach. I personally haven't had a nice tan my whole life so doing it this summer won't kill me. Besides I'm only going for 10 minutes a day for awhile till I get a nice 'base',then backing off to twice a week at 10 minutes which isn't alot at all.

Just think about it,some people spend their whole lives working outside all day,some people live their lives at the beach w/o any negative side effects. Just don't go to a tanning booth like your prepping for a bodybuilding contest everyday and you will be cool.

Good Luck!

Mctwist4

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I go every once in a while. I tan moderately easily. Naturally I am a little pasty. It took about 2 or 3 fifteen minute sessions for me to develope a good base.

blinkwatt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Mctwist4 said:
I go every once in a while. I tan moderately easily. Naturally I am a little pasty. It took about 2 or 3 fifteen minute sessions for me to develope a good base.
Do you mind me asking how long you have been doing it for and letting me know if you have had any negative side effects from it?

kickureface

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i live in Los angeles and weather is sunny now. like 80-90. would playing bball outside with my shirt off be a good way to tan?

LoneSilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I do mine by push mowing the lawn with my shirt off and wearing shorts like yesterday it got up to 82 here and I didn't realize until this morning I got myself a light tan.

I have an olive complexion and tan easely but my back looks like someone who sleeps on nails and left serious indented scares and I need a good dark tan to cover this up.

LoneSilver

Rock_Solid

Don Juan
Reaction score
blinkwatt said:
Dude don't trip soo much off that 'tanning is dangerous' stuff you hear. 15-30 minutes in a tanning bed=one day at the beach. I personally haven't had a nice tan my whole life so doing it this summer won't kill me. Besides I'm only going for 10 minutes a day for awhile till I get a nice 'base',then backing off to twice a week at 10 minutes which isn't alot at all.

Just think about it,some people spend their whole lives working outside all day,some people live their lives at the beach w/o any negative side effects. Just don't go to a tanning booth like your prepping for a bodybuilding contest everyday and you will be cool.

Good Luck!

Sorry i have to burst your bubble but tanning beds are MUCH worse for your skin than a day at the beach.

(Keep in mind i am no expert, this is just some general information i've picked up)

There are two types of UV rays, UVA and UVB. You get UVB rays from the sun in the summer, which, in moderation, are generally harmless. They only get into the top layers of the skin. UVA rays are around all years, and is the type used in tanning beds. This goes into the second layer of skin, and after a while can cause serious unrepairable damage.

Now, I believe in moderation tanning beds are ok (i've gone a few times) but theres a MUCH higher risk of melenoma, the deadly skin cancer.

Plus it seems like you get orange, not brown from tanning beds.

Rock_Solid

Don Juan
Reaction score
kickureface said:
i live in Los angeles and weather is sunny now. like 80-90. would playing bball outside with my shirt off be a good way to tan?
Depends on the time of day, check a weather website to find UV index.

kickureface

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
oh i have to consider uv index? do i look for high/low and what ranges are those?

blinkwatt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
@ Rock Solid,

Thanks for the input! Always great to see two sides of the store.

Mctwist4

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
blinkwatt said:
Do you mind me asking how long you have been doing it for and letting me know if you have had any negative side effects from it?
Dry skin sometimes so put on some lotion after. It helps the tan too. Watch your ass doesn't get too tan because after I went for a while the spot where my ass pushed up against the tanning bed was a little too dark. If you tan naked, cover your junk with something. I've heard the radiation can **** up your sperm production.

blinkwatt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Mctwist4 said:
If you tan naked, cover your junk with something. I've heard the radiation can **** up your sperm production.
I leave the boxers on,no sperm decrease here.

D_Master

Don Juan
Reaction score
I would go about twice a week for 2 weeks going 10 min each time. After that up it 1 minute every time you go in (1 or 2 times a week) depending on how dark you wanna get. Don't think you have to be in there for like 20 minutes to get dark. I never go that long I end up just sweating all over the place in the bed and it makes it look very unnatural anyway. I wouldn't go over 17/18 min. if I were you. If you can tan that long without getting burned you're dark enough.