Talking About God is NOT Religious.

Helter Skelter

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think a discussion on God would not be complete without hearing from one of the great minds in history Albert Einstein. In fact, Time magazine voted him their person of the century.

Einstein believed in Spinoza's God. Einstein rejected the conventional image of God as a personal being, concerned about our individual lives, judging us when we die, intervening in the laws he himself created.

To keep it simple, he believed everything is God. We are all God. His views are complicated, but fascinating. I think what he is saying is because we are all God we created ourselves. But to get a better understanding, I would do a google search of "Einsteins thoughts on God"

Here is a quote from Einstein:

"I cannot conceive of a God who rewards and punishes his creatures, or has a will of the kind we experience in ourselves. Neither can I nor would I want to conceive of an individual that survives his own death; let feeble souls, from fear or absurd egoism, cherish such thoughts. I am satisfied with the mystery of the eternity of life and with the awareness and a glimpse of the marvelous structure of the existing world, together with the devoted striving to comprehend a portion, be it ever so tiny, of the Reason that manifests itself in nature"

Permission

Banned
Reaction score
"What I have done is to show that it is possible for the way the universe began to be determined by the laws of science. In that case, it would not be necessary to appeal to God to decide how the universe began. This doesn't prove that there is no God, only that God is not necessary. "

-Stephen W. Hawking

whistler

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
"I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly.

"If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it."

(Albert Einstein, 1954)

quoted on:
http://www.spaceandmotion.com/albert-einstein-god-religion-theology.htm

whistler

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
One more... ouch!

Anyone religous who likes Einstein should read this:

I'll highlight the more incendiary parts...

"... During the youthful period of mankind's spiritual evolution human fantasy created gods in man's own image, who, by the operations of their will were supposed to determine, or at any rate to influence, the phenomenal world. Man sought to alter the disposition of these gods in his own favour by means of magic and prayer. The idea of God in the religions taught at present is a sublimation of that old concept of the gods. Its anthropomorphic character is shown, for instance, by the fact that men appeal to the Divine Being in prayers and plead for the fulfillment of their wishes.

"Nobody, certainly, will deny that the idea of the existence of an omnipotent, just, and omnibeneficent personal God is able to accord man solace, help, and guidance; also, by virtue of its simplicity it is accessible to the most undeveloped mind. But, on the other hand, there are decisive weaknesses attached to this idea in itself, which have been painfully felt since the beginning of history."

(Albert Einstein, 1941; same source as above)

HEAVENLY FATHER

Reaction score
My children, how you do amuse me with your many musings!

Since this thread is about Me I thought I'd clear a few things up

1 - Despite what my screen name suggests, I am neither male nor female. In fact you couldn't personify me if you tried because I happen to be the collective awareness of you and everyone you've ever met in your life. I bet you never thought you'd find Me on a seduction forum, yet here I Am..all 22,147 of Me trying to get laid! :p

2 - It is useless to try and understand the way I operate. Your puny minds can't even grasp the concept of a ten-dimensional universe, but that is how I designed it (always did like that number). Still, I think it's kind of cute how you guys think you have it all figured out when you haven't scratched the surface. It's like watching hamsters run in their little wheels, convinced they are actually getting somewhere.

3 - Reincarnation is real. You die and return, often repeating very similar lives until you learn the lesson you were meant to and move your consciousness to a level beyond the material world. Right now humankind is caught up in a time loop devised by a parasitic race of alien spirits that feed off your collective fear. But I wont even bother getting into that can of worms... moving on

4 - Matter is an illusion. The universe will always conform to the electro-magnetic impulses of your mind and its assumptions, so unfortunately, science will never be able to establish a universal explanation for everything, since reality is ultimately a subjective experience. The best part is that the irony will be completely lost on the intellectuals who discover this.

5 - There is nothing wrong with masturbation. Why would I put your penis within such easy access of your hand? Do you think a dog feels guilty after licking his own balls? Of course not, because I decided that little Scrappy needed a good time every once in a while and rightly so... you wont hear him complaining either (or asking his friends to join him on a long hiatus of NOT licking his balls) Which reminds me...

6 - You don't even realize how friggin hilarious you all are! The delivery is classic... you all take the script so seriously that even I am almost convinced you are That Person, even though you are oh, so much more.

In closing, none of You will begin to comprehend any of this nor ascend the heights of Our Kingdom until you dissolve the imaginary boundries between yourself and the world. In the end, everything is everything, and it's not so bad if I do say so Myself!

So shall it be written, so shall it be done,

The Great "We Are"

Helter Skelter

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
He see's you when your sleeping he knows when your awake. He knows when you've been bad or good so be good for goodness sake.

Is this describing Santa Claus or God?

Is God the Santa Claus for adults?

grinder

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Since we're all gettin philosophical.....and a little edgy, I can't resist this one to help lighten it up........

Immanuel Kant was a real pissant
Who was very rarely stable.
Heidegger, Heidegger was a boozy begger
Who could think you under the table.

David Hume could out consume,
Willhelm Freidrich Hegal
And Wittgenstein was a beery swine,
who was twice as schloshed as Schegel.

There's nothing Nietzche couldn't teach ya
'bout the raising of the wrist,
Socrates, himself, was permanently pissed.

John Stuart Mill, of his own free will,
On half a pint of shandy was particularly ill,
Plato, they say, could stick it away,
half a crate of whiskey every day.

Aristotle, Aristotle was a bugger for the bottle,
Hobbes was fond of his dram,
And Rene Descartes was a drunken fart,
"I drink, therefore I am"

yes, Socrates himself is particularly missed,
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed.

Helter Skelter

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
From November 28, 2005 Newsweek Magazine cover story on Charles Darwin:

And there was an even more troubling implication to his theory. To a species that believed it was made in the image of God, Darwin's great book addressed only this one cryptic sentence: "Much light will be thrown on the origin of man and his history." That would come 12 years later , in "The Decent of Man," which explicitly linked human beings to the rest of the animal kingdom by way of the apes. "Man may be excused for feeling some pride at having risen, though not through his own excertions, to the very summit of the organic scale," Darwin wrote, offering a small sop to human vanity before his devastating conclusion: "that man with all his noble qualities...still bears in his bodily frame the indelible stamp of his lowly origin."

I've always thought that last quote by Darwin was one of the greatest quotes in human history.

diplomatic_lies

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well if the gods don't exist, how do you explain the Battle of Krest-Nurell, where paladins of the god Hallonholt won the battle against cultists of the death god Sjaelland, aided by magical fire that poured from their arms?

Or what of the God-Emperor Leprose, ruler of the Hollenhertz Empire, who defeated five thousand Arish warriors by himself?

If gods don't exist, how do you explain the victory of Markas the Great, Grand Paladin of the god Alunda, who conquered the Klassirian Empire with only 100 men in 514AD?

Helter Skelter

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
diplomatic_lies said:
Well if the gods don't exist, how do you explain the Battle of Krest-Nurell, where paladins of the god Hallonholt won the battle against cultists of the death god Sjaelland, aided by magical fire that poured from their arms?

Or what of the God-Emperor Leprose, ruler of the Hollenhertz Empire, who defeated five thousand Arish warriors by himself?

If gods don't exist, how do you explain the victory of Markas the Great, Grand Paladin of the god Alunda, who conquered the Klassirian Empire with only 100 men in 514AD?
I guess when you look at it that way. That would explain the 1969 New York Mets championship.:crackup:

I think I stole that from Oh God (the George Burns flick)

Nocturnal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
diplomatic_lies said:

You're right! Now that I think about it, if gods don't exist, how did Luke ever defeat Darth Vadar! How was Rapunzel able to grow her hair so long! How did Hercules rise from the underworld! How did Noah build a ship big enough to hold all of the animals in the world! Oops that one's supposed to be real...

A-Unit

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re:

When I am positing that there was a "beginning" and a "creation," I'm by no means suggesting any one entity or means. I am however suggesting SOMETHING did "flick the switch," and yes, it is a paradox that is neverending, and can only be theorized or related to or extrapolated, but never TRULY proven. We can suggest that we know what the North Pole is like through second hand observations, pictures, and extrapolation, but you can't do the same with the universe, or with life.

Is there a God of some sort? Well, to each his own. The damning catch-22 is that by NOT believing in some way along christian guidelines, you have a lesser chance of glorious heaven. However, by believing, by default you end up somewhere decent. I'm not quite sure HOW people come into life already owing a debt, not only to God, but to Society as well since most people are required to work just exist. That's quite the lien on life.

Whether you're god is THE GOD, or it's the god of knowledge, people end up idolizing SOMETHING. Themselves. Books. Authors. Opinions. Money. Their desires. Sex. Drugs. Alcohol. A true christian would suggest people are worshipping Science and It's "Priests" (i.e. Scientists).

It sounds like alot more pain is the root of people's refutation of any possibility of a higher being or thing or energy or spirit. At least I sense some pain, like they feel discarded, or lack belief, or couldn't possibly believe, because their eyes don't bring it into their field of vision, and their minds have closed off or hardened to the possibility. It's a weird finality to the question, and yet so many people here are less than a quarter of the way through life and profess, even with quotations from science authors, that ALL is known.

No wonder the world is in a state of mayhem...if the this post is any reflection of the state beliefs in the realms of possibility, then Darwin's theories have won and people are mere extensions of animals, only with bigger and better weapons.

A-Unit

Helter Skelter

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A-Unit said:
SOMETHING did "flick the switch," and yes, it is a paradox that is neverending, and can only be theorized or related to or extrapolated, but never TRULY proven.

No wonder the world is in a state of mayhem...if the this post is any reflection of the state beliefs in the realms of possibility, then Darwin's theories have won and people are mere extensions of animals, only with bigger and better weapons.

A-Unit
A-Unit, nothing in science can ever be truly proven. Including 2+2=4
This is just assumed to be correct based on our current knowledge.

People who want to believe or not to believe in something, can challenge anything. No matter how unreasonable the logic.

Science at least tries to find the truth more than any other method we have. Nothing else comes close

That's why our justice system and just about everything else appeals to science to prove their case.

We wouldn't be on these computers or anything else if it wasn't for science. We'd be living in caves or living in bushes. Science has proven to be correct in so many areas which is why we continue to advance as a species.

If their is a God in the form so many believe, why doesn't he make himself known, to end all speculation that so many millions of people have? With all his "suppose" power this should be an easy task.

I wonder why the ignorant long ago with the lack of ability to verify events, had so much contact with GOD? Yet with our high intelligence of today and with the ability to verify events we have none?

I think it's wrong to base our belief in God on the ignorance of people who lived long ago. It should be based on our current knowledge.

When it comes to science even many of our great leaders were incredibly ignorant. Thomas Jefferson stated none of God's creation's could ever go instinct. God wouldn't allow it. Yet it has been proven through the fossil records of how many thousands of species have gone extinct over history and continue to do so.

Darwin's theory has continued to strengthen over the last 150 years with all the advances made in science. An many leaders including Pope John Paul II have buckled under the OVERWHELMING evidence by acknowleging in 1996 at the Pontifical Academy of Sciences that "evolution was more than just a hypothesis".

I personally believe in some type of "life force" going on in the universe. I would like to believe in a lot more but it's a challenge with all the advances made. But I will continue to refer to whatever it is as "God".

The idea of God should only bring positive meaning to everyone's lives. But I have read many scientific predictions that life will end for us in the next few thousand years due to war in the name of God.

Last edited:

Mac_Laaarry

Don Juan
Reaction score
We Shall All Know the Truth

It saddens me to see so many of my brethren living in denial. Some questions are not meant to be answered by us as humans, and to even begin to try to use human logic when talking about God is foolish, because our minds can t comprehend beyond that which we perceive to be truth. It s like comparing our mind to that of an insect only on a much much greater scale. Our level of knowledge and being far surpasses the that of the insect for he will never be able to think at our level because he is limited. Thats why the concept called FAITH exists. IF we all KNEW that God existed it would be all too easy to obey him. Throughout our life we get a chance to know Jesus, whether you accept him or reject him is your own decision (FREE WILL) but in the end we will all know the truth, and will have to answer for the decisions we made in life. God has placed enough "info" here on earth to warrant his existence to us, any true scholar will tell you that the bible is flawless (lacking of contradiction) do the research. Throughout life we are tested, and only the faithful are rewareded the choice is yours. I KNOW THIS ARGUMENT WILL NEVER END BUT I HAD TO LET THE TRUTH BE KNOWN. IM DONE, A WISE MAN SAID TO ME DONT ARGUE WITH FOOLS. goodnight.

Helter Skelter

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Mac_Laaarry said:
bible is flawless
Science is hated by many people with deep faith.
The more we learn, the more advanced we become as a society, the greater the conflict.

There is a reason "intelligent Design" is not allowed to be taught in our "public" classrooms. However, evolution is taught throughout the world, as part of our history.

Faith is a great concept and beneficial to many peoples lives.
There is overwhelming evidence that dinosaurs existed millions of years ago. This contradicts many people's
"faith"
That Noah put 2 of every animal/bird/creature throughout the world on his boat. (You need "faith" to believe this is possible)
"faith" is a good thing, but their is also something known as "blind faith"

The reason religious discussion is not permitted on this board an many others, is because it leads to arguments that are not rational, illogical and lacking any factual proof.

A few people on this thread have jokingly referred to themselves as God. Thousands of years ago, if you had charisma, I bet you could have fooled a lot of people into thinking you were God. This could be how some of these mythical stories have been passed down through the ages.

Last edited: