Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Tale of a Homeless Man

Burroughs

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I found this in the comments section of the spearhead.....fascinating.

a harbinger for things to come?

I was homeless for a stretch after an exit from a disastrous PhD program.

I lived in my car, sleeping in different parking lots every night in order to avoid suspicion.

Fortunately It was a state with a warm climate (Texas) and I was able to bathe myself in rivers/streams in wooded areas on the outskirts of Austin.

One day while in said woods, I encountered another homeless man.

He had been divorced and to prison twice for failure to pay child support.

After leaving prison for the the second time, he left the Northeast where he formerly lived and headed South.

He managed to get a job working off the books so that he could feed himself and lived in a shack that he built for himself in the woods.

Austin is a unique city in that it has a relatively large population in a warm climate without a real suburb surrounding it. There are quite a few wooded areas right outside the city that are wilderness that you can hide away in without interference from people.

He told me he would ride his bicycle to work in the city during the day and come back to the woods at night. It was only during the few cold months (end of November to the beginning of February) that he would find someone who had an apartment to be a roommate with and live with them. The rest of the year, he lived in a shack in the woods and did his laundry at a the laundromat.

He managed to live off the grid and at least survive anonymously in a society that treated him like a criminal.

Boilermaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
and you believed these fantasmagorias of guys living in woodland shacks and bathing in rivers ...

harbinger for your gullibility

Burroughs

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Boilermaker said:
and you believed these fantasmagorias of guys living in woodland shacks and bathing in rivers ...

harbinger for your gullibility
you believe in PHDs that take 15 years with no job at the end

I'd say you are the gullible one :up:

But you'll get wise out in the real world after your 10 years of postdoc :crackup:

Boilermaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Love the way you come at me: Such a tool for being 27 with 6-years of PhD experience at Purdue, ECE. Making me proud, old fart.

107K job lined up with everything else once I walk out the door to the real world, will send you flowers. :flowers:

For me it's simpler: What do you do? Flipping one too many lately?

U mad, Burgers?

Last edited:

Down Low

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Men were losing their good jobs all through the '00s. The rates of foreclosures and bankruptcies were at record levels and climbing all through that decade. The flood of cheap credit did nothing but delay the inevitable. Now the indicators of financial disaster are at even higher levels.

They thought it was temporary. But they couldn't find another job. Practically the entire generation got early retirement without a pension.

The newer generations waste five to ten years being unemployed at college. They emerge to discover that every position has a thousand or more applicants. Many competitors are much better educated and have decades more work experience.

Graduate school guarantees you nothing . . . nothing that is, but twice as much student loan debt keeping you down for the rest of your life.

Cheer up Boilermaker! Working for free as an intern for six months -- paying out of your own pocket for Starbucks latte frappuccino carmel grande beverages for ten "real" workers every day -- then getting b1tched at by hippos for the next four hours for forgetting the triple whipped cream and cocoa sprinkle with mace not nutmeg -- then getting sh1t-canned two days before Xmas so you can spend the next two years looking for the same thing again -- sounds like a wonderful adventure. Hey, coffee boy! Send a dozen yellow roses to Texas for me! Darn, I have no cash on me . . . just pay for it and I'll get back to you after Xmas OK?

I can't even understand anyone who'd pretend that the millions of homeless men in the US "don't exist" and should "go away." I suppose they must all be "crazy" since every sane person lives in a Pollyanna world where everybody's rich (or at least has the decency to pretend they are).

FairShake

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Most homeless men I've known were taken to the cleaners by their wives and children.

Then again, most ex-cons I've known were innocent.

Fatal Jay

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
FairShake said:
Most homeless men I've known were taken to the cleaners by their wives and children.

Then again, most ex-cons I've known were innocent.
Man more and more I don't even think I want a wife or kids

Seems like there is more cons then pros

Scaramouche

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Dear Fatal Jay,
"Man more and more I don't even think I want a wife or kids" I agree absolutely,and this is probably the reason that the Don Juans of this World have no survival value,and their behaviour will always be aberrant,they die and their genes go with them.

Burroughs

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Scaramouche said:
Dear Fatal Jay,
"Man more and more I don't even think I want a wife or kids" I agree absolutely,and this is probably the reason that the Don Juans of this World have no survival value,and their behaviour will always be aberrant,they die and their genes go with them.
Not in an era where women are owned as property which was 99% of recorded history...

many hindus and arabs practice this today

and if the west falls we white men may do so as well....don juans will own their women as property and so their genes will survive as they always have.

Buddha_Mind

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You all act like this is so hard to believe, but I have seen this and have lived this way. 3 years off and on have lived out of my vehicle exploring and at times out of necessity. There are incredible vast areas of land in our countries BLM and Natl Forest areas -- I have seen many who have lived far rougher than me. This past summer was living in a camper (myself alone) at 7500ft above sea level in Wyoming...I do not condone this lifestyle nor do I want to do this forever..in fact I am burning out and may head back home for awhile to recuperate..but it is not for the weak minded & can also be very trying at times.

I have probably spent over 600 nights camping the last few years .. almost all of them alone... the stars man...hearing wolves..**** like that...coyotes at 4AM howling...crazydudes that I've met in the forst...random folks who have given me extreme kindness and hours of quality conversation over good meals...

Unfortunately I have my degree and chose a career path of outdoor education which in some ways is part of the transient lifestyle...i have been building a web business for stability but it "ain't there yet" and I hate computers these days honestly after working with them so much.

At 6am out in Seattle ever morning the highways are buzzing and humming as people are downing caffeine, having been awake less than 20 minutes, hauling ass 60mph+ in their 2-ton-vehicles towards work-go-go-go-go, no time to waste. The urban sphere reaches wider and wider---how many coffee shops and food shops and places to buy glasses do we need? No need, keep paving, keep building--how many new homes this year? More than last year? Good--that's growth, that's good for the economy--that'll help the GDP. Go go go, grow grow grow - but I ask : to where are we going, and what world are we molding? These questions absent from the world's discussion. Money and stuff, money and stuff!

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i once met a guy when i was living in florida who lived in the woods behind the checkers in punta gora florida and his wife lived wtih him in the woods and he would let you do anything you wanted to her for 20 dollars. it was quite sad actually.

Boilermaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I once knew a guy who was going into the wild. Then he ate some cassava shrubs and he died.

He failed to pay child support and he went homeless and he had 2 college degrees. He lost everything in a case battle on TV with Judge Millian.

Quite sad.

wait_out

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There are definitely people off the grid, I've been in at least 2 homes set up to live self-sufficiently. Of course it's in the wilds of Canada.

Buddha man, make sure you have a backup plan if you blow out your knee. It's a great life but job security is nil.

Maybe this is weird too but I find that guys and girls assume more traditional behavior when camping. Something about getting back to nature I guess.