Take creatine on my day off?

arcilitei34

Don Juan
Reaction score
On my day of rest should I still be taking creatine? I know I should be taking my protein shakes and weight gainers, but for creatine, should I still take it?

coolguy676767

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I have heard from a variety of sources that taking a large dose of creatine on a day off can make it hard on your kidneys to process it all. So I would recommend taking a smaller dose on your off days, but I think a small serving, say half your regular serving woud still be safe.

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
5g a daily, take in a lot of water. Carry a gallon jug of water with you no excuses.

vanwilder

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by EFFORT
5g a daily, take in a lot of water. Carry a gallon jug of water with you no excuses.
right answer, do not listen to the guy above, no offense of anything, but you must not stop. its only hard on your kidneys if you dont drink water

MrFitness880

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I have done both and really never noticed a difference. I just take it on workout days now. I noticed no benefit to taking it on off days, and my gains are just as good. My creatine lasts longer

As a side note you dont need whey every day. you really dont need it at all. If you can try and limit it to post workout and maybe a little here and there to supplement a meal thats a little light on the protien.

as far as the weight gainer goes, how much do you weigh? you probably dont need it , but they can help pack on some calories, so one a day isnt bad at all.

Rico S

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by MrFitness880
I have done both and really never noticed a difference. I just take it on workout days now. I noticed no benefit to taking it on off days, and my gains are just as good. My creatine lasts longer
Nice broad response there. How many days do you work out a week? What kind of creatine are you using? Do you even know what creatine does to you?

You want to take your 5gs of creatine every day.

semag

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
screw 5g, take 10 - 15g every day, especially if it isn't CEE.

Sexual

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
U must be doing somethin wrong, I'm supplementing no2 and creatine tablets and I've gained 5-10 pounds in 2 weeks.

MrFitness880

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Nice broad response there. How many days do you work out a week? What kind of creatine are you using? Do you even know what creatine does to you?
Wow Rico, youre one ****y sob. Ive read your posts, you dont have any reason to be. I should tell you just how much of an ass you sound like, but you know what Ill just answer your questions instead.

I worked out four times a week, mon/tues/thur/fri. Over about 2 years I tried my creatine 5g every day, to just training days. Also taking it all before, and 1/2 before and half after. Based on my experience, research and the advise of well respected vets I now take my creatine 1/2 before and 1/2 after. Up until recently it was monohydrate. Now Im doing 2 to 2.5 g ethyl ester only on training days mon/wed/fri and getting even better results. To be honest I am wondering if i can really push it down to just 2 before and after (its hard enough to measure though). There is discussion of only using it post workout, and that is something I am currently looking into more.

Esterification of the creatine molecule makes it more lipophilic allowing more of it to enter the cell. If you dont know what that means look it up.

Creatine works through two mediums. The first is increasing the rate at which adp becomes atp. This occurs when the Phosphocreatine molecule donates a phosphate group to the adp. The second is by optimally hydrating cells. There has been talk that this increased level of hydration increases protein synthesis, although I have yet to really see enough data to really support this.

My personal opinion is the second mechanism of growth due to increased intracellular water is because of the cells volume to surface area ratio, where if a cell gets too large it must split or die. This may be linked to the increased rate of protein synthesis, but Ive yet to be able to really make a conclusive decision about this. This of course is based on research and logic.

That increased rate of adp to atp is what allows you to get out that one last rep. It allows you to work just a little bit harder, increasing the intensity of your workout, and assuming your diet is in check that should aid in increasing mass and strength.

This more or less covers the basics. I have a few other posts on creatine on this board, and there are plenty of articles online for further research. Its a really interesting supplement, one of the few really worth the time.

AbAbber2k

Don Juan
Reaction score
Esterification of the creatine molecule makes it more lipophilic allowing more of it to enter the cell. If you dont know what that means look it up.

Creatine works through two mediums. The first is increasing the rate at which adp becomes atp. This occurs when the Phosphocreatine molecule donates a phosphate group to the adp. The second is by optimally hydrating cells. There has been talk that this increased level of hydration increases protein synthesis, although I have yet to really see enough data to really support this.

My personal opinion is the second mechanism of growth due to increased intracellular water is because of the cells volume to surface area ratio, where if a cell gets too large it must split or die. This may be linked to the increased rate of protein synthesis, but Ive yet to be able to really make a conclusive decision about this. This of course is based on research and logic.

That increased rate of adp to atp is what allows you to get out that one last rep. It allows you to work just a little bit harder, increasing the intensity of your workout, and assuming your diet is in check that should aid in increasing mass and strength.

This more or less covers the basics. I have a few other posts on creatine on this board, and there are plenty of articles online for further research. Its a really interesting supplement, one of the few really worth the time.
It's really nice to see someone with experience AND education to back up their claims. This is all great information that anyone interested in body building should understand. I took Exercise Physiology (Kinesiology major) last semester and let me tell you, it was amazing learning WHY my body reacts the way it does when I workout. Personally, I tend to ignore the oppinions of people who try and dismiss scientific evidence from peer reviewed studies just because they got results in a different manner. Feh. That said, I don't know quite as much about cell hydration (though I do know they can die when over hydrated), but I believe that Creatine also increases mass indirectly by allowing you to stimulate more muscle fibers than you normally would when you weren't on Creatine (you are able to replenish ATP more quickly and thus do more work).

MrFitness880

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks AbAbber2k, i appreciate both your comments and your input here.

Youre right on the mark about the atp, and recently...ie today lol...I have been looking into my theory on water increase and cell division, and based on how muscles grow, and a few other details, its looking like that isnt too likely to be the case. I will have to keep reading though. oh well thats how science goes :)

Rico S

Don Juan
Reaction score
Wow Rico, youre one ****y sob. Ive read your posts, you dont have any reason to be.
Ah, thanks buddy. I love you too. Now read your original post and notice all of the possible variables based on your response. You could be working out six times a week and think creatine gives you a killer pump or something of the sort. Now see why I would ask those questions? It makes things a lot easier to understand.

As for the "you don't have any reason to be ****y" i'm not ****y and if you disagree with anything I post then let me know and we can discuss it in the thread.