Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Surfing.

NYtomb

Don Juan
Reaction score
VIVAlasVEGASBaby said:
Lost - Great Surf brand from San Clemente, California http://www.lostenterprises.com/prod/index.php

HIC (Hawaiin Island Creations) - Brand a lot of the pros use

I have a 6' lost, a 9' lost longboard and an 8' infinity (which i started out on)

Ripcurl makes good boards, as does infinity. I don't know what is available to you in New York though.

With your height and weight you should be on a "fun board". 8 ft tall, 3 and a quarter inch thick. Youll have fun on it and itll be easy to ride.

You should get a lesson. I've never heard of anyone just picking up a board and hitting the beach and learning on their own. Usually a lesson about 2 hours long will get you standing up; believe it or not but there is some form to it. You could also try an instructional video. Check out the ripcurl store on Times Square for a board, i bet they could order you one. OR i bet there are plenty of surf shops down by the beach.

Lemme know if you have anymore questions
I dont think ive ever seen a rip curl board here. Didnt know they made them. Ive been wearing their wetsuits for years until I found Xcel.
Around here local shapers like Nature shapes, Bunger, Special Sauce are pretty popular as are your production boards from Al Merrick, Rusty, KG, lost etc. Not too many west coast boards around aside from some of Gene Cooper's Hornets appearing in the water.

Fitch

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think I'll go for a funboard. Which wet suits are the most reliable? I don't mind surfing in the winter - if the waves are high - as long as I don't freeze my ass off.

Do you guys recommend any particular funboard for me?

I am 5' 10'' and I weigh 155 lb. And, I plan on getting bigger - I am working out, and I should get taller, too; well, rather, hopefully.

VIVAlasVEGASBaby

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
VIVAlasVEGASBaby said:
8 ft tall, 3 and a quarter inch thick.
Any kind of board will do, just do some searching for boards around your area. When you buy the board, tell the person helping you that you are a first time beginner and give them your height/weight. They'll show you exactly what you need.

As for wetsuits its hard to find a BAD wetsuit. If the water gets really cold where you are then you need an expensive, thick wetsuit (they come in different thicknesses for different water temperatures).

My Oneil psycho 2 is an awesome wetsuit; last year it was the hottest wet suit available. Quicksilver, Ripcurl, and lots of other places make quality wet suits, just do some research and decide how much you want to spend.

Fitch

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
VIVAlasVEGASBaby said:
Any kind of board will do, just do some searching for boards around your area. When you buy the board, tell the person helping you that you are a first time beginner and give them your height/weight. They'll show you exactly what you need.

As for wetsuits its hard to find a BAD wetsuit. If the water gets really cold where you are then you need an expensive, thick wetsuit (they come in different thicknesses for different water temperatures).

My Oneil psycho 2 is an awesome wetsuit; last year it was the hottest wet suit available. Quicksilver, Ripcurl, and lots of other places make quality wet suits, just do some research and decide how much you want to spend.
Thank you for the information. I'm going to go out and buy it soon. Once I get to the next level, I'll ask you for more technical help - like maintain, etc.

NYtomb

Don Juan
Reaction score
dont worry about a wetty now. by the time you get your board it will be rashie/board shorts weather.
Also dont worry about big winter waves or swells. your best interest to learn is on hip high and below. paddling out into a big set will be counter productive.
for a board if you want the right size go to a shop, there are actually ones in NYC, Ken at Headhigh is who I Would recommend to you unless you want to come out to the island where I would recommend Long Beach surf shop. Talk to Luke there and he will square you away and not rip you off, hes a good dude. or else hit up craigs list. tons of boards on there. LEt me recommend not starting off with a shortboard unless its a fish. you want something overly bouyant which is why a funboard or long board are being recommended.
With wetsuits, you can get away with a 3/2 rip curl classic for the next week or two but its not going to be necessary until early october since the water temp is rising quickly. Ive seen people out in shorties and also in board shorts but Im still going to wear the suit for another week or two. I Wouldnt worry aobut fancy taped seams and zipperless for a 3/2 but I Would spend the $$ on a 5/4 or 6/5 Xcel when winter time rolls around

Fitch

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for the links.

If I was to go to a store, however, which store (and location) would be the best - NYC, or LI?

Is a Fish better than a longboard/funboard?

Which suit do you wear for the winter? Is it good?

VIVAlasVEGASBaby

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
You won't be good enough for a fish yet. That'll be your next board if you decide to go to short boarding. Fishes are too short for your skill level. Stick with the fun board for now.

Fitch

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
VIVAlasVEGASBaby said:
You won't be good enough for a fish yet. That'll be your next board if you decide to go to short boarding. Fishes are too short for your skill level. Stick with the fun board for now.
Okay.

NYtomb

Don Juan
Reaction score
xcel suit in winter. 6/5/4 keeps you hella warm. if you throw it on when it may be a bit too early in the sason let some water in your hood to cool you off or dont use the hood. worry about building up your paddling strength, popping up, surf etiquette/protocol, reading the rips, etc before worrying about winter swells and surfing storms. You have to learn to crawl before you can run. trust me when I say smaller days are your friend. Learning how to surf in a swell is dangerous and can be compared to learning how to drive on a fully loaded big rig 18 wheeler.

Fitch

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

Contender

Don Juan
Reaction score
Where can I buy a surfboard at a good price (not too expensive)?

Mission

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I think that you can go straight from longboard to shortboard if you do other board sports. I have snowboarded for years and I did longboard my first day surfing then went straight to shortboard the next day. You just have to gauge your skill level.

--Mission

NYtomb

Don Juan
Reaction score
Mission said:
I think that you can go straight from longboard to shortboard if you do other board sports. I have snowboarded for years and I did longboard my first day surfing then went straight to shortboard the next day. You just have to gauge your skill level.

--Mission
You mastered the basics in one day? Unlikely but good on you if its true. Popping up took me a while to perfect and the first few times I surfed a short board were different. A lot harder to catch a wave and get speed with a board thats a hell of a lot shorter and thinner.

As to the guy in Florida. You learn on the small stuff. You are setting yourself up for trouble if you dont surf the crap and wait for swells with wave heights over head plus.
I learned from surfing ****ty waves. You dont need glassy, perfect waves to learn on. Hell, whitewater at an empty break is ideal. Enough to get you moving so you can practice popping up and turning.
Kelly slater was from Florida and hes one of the best, if not the best surfer in the world.

Contender

Don Juan
Reaction score
Mission said:

--Mission
Which longboard did you start out with? Which shortboard did you switch to?

Fitch

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
NYtomb said:
for a board if you want the right size go to a shop, there are actually ones in NYC, Ken at Headhigh is who I Would recommend to you unless you want to come out to the island where I would recommend Long Beach surf shop. Talk to Luke there and he will square you away and not rip you off, hes a good dude. or else hit up craigs list. tons of boards on there. LEt me recommend not starting off with a shortboard unless its a fish. you want something overly bouyant which is why a funboard or long board are being recommended.
Where would you recommend I go: Headhigh, or Long Beach Surf Shop?

NYtomb

Don Juan
Reaction score
go to long beach. unsound surf shop or long beach surf shop. unsound has a better knowledge base, lb surf has a much better board selection. forget headhigh, i was mixing him up with someone else. headhigh is out east, i forgot the name of the shop in nyc.