Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Surfing.

Fitch

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I am picking up a new hobby this summer. I've learned quickly on a snowboard, and I've mastered it fairly quickly. I started to do grinds, and aerial flips off ramps. I'm getting comfortable with my board.

I love sports, in general; ranging from Football (American and European), Rugby, Swimming, Snowboarding, and so on. However, Surfing was always something I've wished to do, yet it was so mysterious. I did not dare approach it, for some reason; perhaps, due to uncertainity.

But, f'uck that. This is going to be a wild summer. I'm going to hit the beach in New Jersery where the Waves are at, and learn to surf!

Does anyone here know how to surf? I would like some suggestions on good boards, and general tips. I do have balance, so I feel I can learn quickly; just as how I learned on the snowboard.

gravstar

Don Juan
Reaction score
Good man! Surfing is easily the best leisure sport. First of all if you want buy a board go for a second hand one to start off on. Trust me when I say this get a thickish board, something with a bit of length too. It is much easier to learn on these boards. Once you get your balance and feel comfortable turning you can then probably go for a short board as they are much more fun. Faster, whippier etc. But remember to stick to it, it'll take a while to get there.
Plus you get all the ladies. Awwwwwriiiight.

adit

Don Juan
Reaction score
Surfing is great!I live in Indonesia and hit Bali a couple of times an year to surf.It's an amazing sport.

Well,you really should start on a longer and thicker board.I think the best ones to begin with are 7 foot boards.Don't worry,there will be many beginners around you too,so don't expect any long time surfer to fool around with you.It'll take just 7-12 days to get acquainted with it,and after that you can try with the shorter boards.

Well,as important as balance is,you really should get your stamina up,and you should learn how to stand quickly once you ride the wave.You can learn that on sand itself,it's not too hard a deal.As for stamina,it is very important.You don't want a cramp in mid-sea.

Don't go in too far into the sea with a long board,you won't be able to get any wave.Work around in the whitewater (the wave that has already broken) first.It's really very easy,just paddle hard when you see the whitewater coming around,and you'll be riding the wave..Stand up quickly after that and feel the wind mess up your hair.

Cheers!

Mission

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Oh surfing, greatest sport ever man, I dream about it when I am sitting in class, amazing.

As far as tips go, you have to learn how to judge the break of a wave so you can paddle into it, once you figure that out start slowly paddling forward to time the wave and you will feel it picking up under you, and then give a few hard pushed with your arms and pull your legs straight under you and get a nice wide stance going. Also, when you start going on bigger waves, you will have to angle your board a little bit or else you will go head over heels.

Watch some surfing videos as well, the "Drive-Thru" series of DVD's are really good, lots of surfing and its entertaining, will give you an idea of some techniques.

--Mission

JLW

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Just make sure you stay away from the advanced surfers and breaks. There's nothing worse than catching a great wave only to see a beginner floundering around getting in your way. Try your best to stay down the beach from the best waves. After all, as you're learning, you just need a wave that will push you, not the best waves.

Other than that, have fun.

Fitch

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What makes a "good" surfboard? Which are the best brands?

And, what are the best "unknown" brands?

So, my board should be seven feet long? I am 5' 10".

How do I take care of it?

Reaction score
I wish I could serf, it looks so much fun. You get in shape from all the swimming, plus you get a nice tan and chicks dig you for having a passion. Also it seems to help people with snowboarding and skateboarding too.

Fitch

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Rocko said:
I surf, i recommend starting out with a sponge (boogy board) just to get the hang of it. Once you can ride the waves lyin down, you can definitely do it standing
I did that before; I did it successfully - I rode the waves lying down on the boogy board. It was easy.

Rocko

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
wait, can you ride the waves when you sponge? cause that also helps your control. Basically, start out surfing like you are sponging, you ride the wave (smaller ones of course) and try and get your knees up, once you got that, you jump up onto your board and ride it back to shore. Remember to position yourself correctly on the board or you WILL fall

j8snx1

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
ohhh man im on the same boat as u!!! def. learning surfing this summer!

well anyway, how can u tell whether u ride regular or goofy?? and is weight a factor in how u ride the waves and what not?

fixed_term

Reaction score
As others have suggested start with something longish like a mini mal (7 to 8 foot) and buy second hand, you'll save yourself heaps. The advantage of the mals is you won't need very big waves to have a good time and you can sit on the shoulder out of the way of the more seasoned surfers.

Cal

Fitch

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Okay, I'll look into those boards - any specific brand though?

My riding style is regular, by the way. At least, it's regular for snowboarding; however, I'm comfortable on either sides - I can handle goofy, and regular.

Rocko said:
wait, can you ride the waves when you sponge? cause that also helps your control. Basically, start out surfing like you are sponging, you ride the wave (smaller ones of course) and try and get your knees up, once you got that, you jump up onto your board and ride it back to shore. Remember to position yourself correctly on the board or you WILL fall
Yeah, I could do that. I fell a lot, but eventually I managed to hold my balance. The water is more choppy than the snow - it's a bit harder than snowboarding, but it's related.

Fitch

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Rocko said:
very true, and to answer the question of riding goofy or regular, just stand in each position and have someone push you from the front, whichever side has more resistance is your stance
What do you mean by "more resistance is your stance?" If I'm more stable, you mean?

toddC

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
last summer my brother bought a surf board and I've been using that one. Surfing is a lot of fun. Actually last summer as I was coming out of the water, 2 girls asked me to give them surfing lessons (I SUCKED at the time so surfing = hot to girls :))

Fitch

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
toddC said:
last summer my brother bought a surf board and I've been using that one. Surfing is a lot of fun. Actually last summer as I was coming out of the water, 2 girls asked me to give them surfing lessons (I SUCKED at the time so surfing = hot to girls :))
Awesome! But, that's not my motivation; I actually enjoy water, and watersports.

However, it is an added bonus! :up:

toddC

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
^^ yea it wasn't my motivation either, it was just a perk :) hehe

VIVAlasVEGASBaby

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Lost - Great Surf brand from San Clemente, California http://www.lostenterprises.com/prod/index.php

HIC (Hawaiin Island Creations) - Brand a lot of the pros use

I have a 6' lost, a 9' lost longboard and an 8' infinity (which i started out on)

Ripcurl makes good boards, as does infinity. I don't know what is available to you in New York though.

With your height and weight you should be on a "fun board". 8 ft tall, 3 and a quarter inch thick. Youll have fun on it and itll be easy to ride.

You should get a lesson. I've never heard of anyone just picking up a board and hitting the beach and learning on their own. Usually a lesson about 2 hours long will get you standing up; believe it or not but there is some form to it. You could also try an instructional video. Check out the ripcurl store on Times Square for a board, i bet they could order you one. OR i bet there are plenty of surf shops down by the beach.

Lemme know if you have anymore questions

NYtomb

Don Juan
Reaction score
Rocko said:
dont go to your knees. what the hell are you talking about?
Pop up from your belly to your feet then stand. dont go to your knees.

Get a soft top foamie board. Its more forgiving when you get bashed in the face, and you will, and its good to keep around for a loaner. Check craigslist for deals.
I would get either a long board or a funboard to start. Remember surfing isnt all that glamarous. Waking up at 5am in the middle of winter to catch the swell from a noreaster while wearing 6mm of rubber doesnt sound too cool, does it?

Stay away from the crowds, dont get in peoples way on the inside, respect the line up and be safe out there. It will be no secret that you are new but if you arent a pain in everyone's ass people will throw pointers your way.
Dont drop in on anyone! doing so could be hazardous to your health.