Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Strength Training!!!

Lost

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Strength Treaning!!!

Hey dudes.. i stopped doin regular gym workouts like 2 weeks ago cuz i just want to do strength training for surfing

obviously i dont need a ton of size for surfing.. but i do need a ****load of strength.. trust me much more than you could ever imagine youd need for it.

anyways what ive been doin is just regular incline and decline pushups with close and wide grip.. pullups n chinups ( i guess) with close and wide grip... crunches.. and i pull the upper pulley back in a motion imitating paddling... o ya and i also do dips on the treadmill haha cuz thats the closest thing i could find to do dips on ( the handles on the treadmill)

AND BY THE WAY, I GO SURFIN EVERYDAY.... or atleast nearly everyday.. id say atleast FIVE Days A WEEK... so that might affect rest days or w/e...

obviously i need a lot of stength, speed, balance, etc for surfing.

one must have thing is amazingly strong shoulders for paddling... i want to be able to paddle through the biggest and choppiest of stuff.. and strongest currents.. also i need to be able to paddle harder for bigger waves obviously!! if u cant paddle fast enough u wont catch the wave.. and the bigger the wave is the harder u have to paddle

also im trying to learn the bottom turn right now and ur supposed to lean about as much as people in motorcycle races do.. so the upper leg muscles need to be real strong.. (will they get hella stronger from squats.. or just a lot bigger??)

and any info u have about strength training in general.. forsurfing .. instead of regular bodybuilding i would appreciate

thx.

DIESEL

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
you're a dumbass for quitting the gym.

How the hell is doing pushups going to get you stronger? - did you ever stop and think that if you can do more than 4 reps you're not building raw strength anymore? If anything it's doing the exact opposite of what you want - ADDING SIZE !

here's a tip - start training like a powerlifter (and if you lay off the roids you'll get nice and strong w/o getting too big - just start surfing the web - and get yourself back in the gym !

D

p.s. I find your claims of surfers being ridiculously strong to be rather dubious. but whatever floats your boat I guess...

Lost

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
uhm... i have gym equipment at home..

and no they are not dubious.. i would think the same thing .. but i surf everyday and i know what im up against if the surf is any big.

trust me, you have no idea about surfing until its ur life ;)

Lost

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
im researchin powerliftin right now and.......... not sure if i totally get it yet but.....

how am i supposd to do this if i surf so often.. ur supposed to have as much energy as possible..

so what are u supposed to just lift it once with the most weight possible?

pow·er·lift·ing ( P ) Pronunciation Key (pour-lftng)
n.
A weightlifting competition in which participants compete in the squat, dead lift, and bench press.

how does that have anything to do with shoulders? shoulder is probly the most important muscle in surf
bench is chest.. dead lift is back and legs... squat is legs....
altho u r supposed to "warm up" the other muscles i guess..

but still what exactly is it, just lifting the highest weight possible ONCE?

Lost

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
heres an article that has a routine....
http://houseofpaynepowerlifting.homestead.com/files/OXXOLOGY1.HTM

but what the hell.. what the difference between this and bodybuilding if u still gotta do same reps/sets?

also do i have to follow this routine exactly? i mean what if the waves have been sucking but one day its real good can i just surf that day and workout the next? er... can i just pick the days wher the surf is the worst and workout on those?

cuz u know good surf isnt something that happens all the time...

also what if 1 of the exercises i cant do with what i have?
like i have a bench with regular,military,incline,decline, leg curl/extension, preacher curl attachment, upper and lower pulley ( not sure if lower works) amd a cage system so i can really put the barbell anywhere i want.. and ive got safety holders so if on a last rep i dont go all the way up i can drop it on one of the lower ones.
oh yah and i have adjustable dumbbells ........

and if ur sayin oh u should return that well too bad cuz i got it not that long ago....

bigforearms

Don Juan
Reaction score
Powerlifting isn't likely to be the route you want to take. Powerlifting basically attunes your body to throwing a lot of effort into one burst. For surfing, you need strong muscles, but more importantly you need muscles with endurance.

Probably the best way to strengthen your muscles for surfing is by swimming and *duh* surfing. If you want to strengthen your muscles with weights, then you should probably do a bodybuilding style workout and keep the reps around 10 or so. Powerliftinng workouts drop the reps per set significantly, and over time this leads to a lot less endurance.

KmZDon

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by bigforearms
Powerlifting isn't likely to be the route you want to take. Powerlifting basically attunes your body to throwing a lot of effort into one burst. For surfing, you need strong muscles, but more importantly you need muscles with endurance.

Probably the best way to strengthen your muscles for surfing is by swimming and *duh* surfing. If you want to strengthen your muscles with weights, then you should probably do a bodybuilding style workout and keep the reps around 10 or so. Powerliftinng workouts drop the reps per set significantly, and over time this leads to a lot less endurance.
generally speaking, powerlifting are stronger than bodybuilders at the smallest size possible and that's what Lost want, raw strength

Templeton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by KmZDon
generally speaking, powerlifting are stronger than bodybuilders at the smallest size possible and that's what Lost want, raw strength
Well if he wants to be conditioned for surfing then actually no he doesn't. He wants good muscular endurance, some strength although not really explosive power and good balance and stability. Perhaps one of the few instances when balance work on a Swiss Ball or Wobbleboard would be of use. But as Forearms alluded to, the best training for any sport is to do the actual activity.

Lost

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i already surf atleast 5 days a week... so its not like i really need to up that
but surfing everyday isnt gonna make my paddling strength rise incredibly..
yall are really givin me mixed opinions on what to do.. lol ;/

and btw i dont really need a lot of size.. (if u havent already figurd that out).. in fact the bigger body mass prolly the worse.. i just need lots of strength ( and of course improving other things like balance would be goood as well)

if powerlifting is lots of strength for a short time then thats not what i need i dont believe..

i mean if im paddlin real hard ffor a wave im not sure if its too late to catch.. and i get tierd.. and another set comes right after that and i try to paddle for it i dont want to have my shhoulder sore from the last paddle ( which happens ) and not be able to get enough energy to catch the wave.. but its not just that i can catch one and then i run out of energy.. sometimes i just cant paddle hard enough to catch the bigger waves.

bigforearms

Don Juan
Reaction score
If paddling is your problem, practice paddling--swim laps in a pool. A powerlifting regimen isn't right for you. A bodybuilding one will make you look better and will make you a bit stronger, but I think there are better alternatives for increasing your paddling ability.

Lost

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
this is all i could think of ....

DAY 1: SHOULDER- Upper Pulley Paddle,
Imitate Paddling with Weights, Military Press, (Upright Row-Alternator)

DAY 2: BACK-Wide Grip Chinups (hands away from ur face), Lat Pulldown
LEGS-Squats, BB Standing Leg Calf Raise
BACK/LEGS-Deadlifts

DAY 3: CHEST-Bench Press
TRICEPS-Triceps Extension
Crunches

Swimming Laps No Stop

not sure how well that will work for strength and endurance...

how should i do these tho.. i mean should i do low reps high weight.. medium weight medium reps.... high reps low weight... or should i work up them like more reps each set or something or what would work best for my purposes???

Lost

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
if u read my post you would know i dont just want to do bodybuilding.. in fact i dont want to do it at all, try not being illiterate.