Strange ways people think...

countwoofoolah

Don Juan
Reaction score
So this is pretty much just a very broad observation and is open to interpretation and im just wondering what others think :

I moved to the UK to do a degree in engineering (Im South African - so from a bit of a different world) and Over the years I have dated a few students who did different kinds of degree's

I found the hot ones mostly to be doing fine art , or some other arty degree - but these ones had a bit of an "im so creative and amazing" thing going on .

Generally my opinion is that if you are so amazing at this art stuff , you dont need a degree to do it - 9/10 im usually right as they leave Uni and then have to go work in retail part time or never do anything arty at all , where the 1/10 use the degree to manage museams or art galleries which I understand and respect.

It seems that the arty people seem to get into clingy/needy relationships and are pretty much looking for some sort of support structure - making me wonder this :

Have they realised that they may not end up being as financially stable as they thought , and then just clung top the first money line that comes along while they still have their looks

Or

Are they really that dillusional to think doing an art degree makes you Da Vinci ?

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I live in the US, and I think the art classes/art school thing is bigger over there in the UK than here. I get the impression over there that if you're not good with practical or technical subjects, they stick you into art school. Probably that would include attractive women who have had to rely on their looks.

countwoofoolah said:
It seems that the arty people seem to get into clingy/needy relationships and are pretty much looking for some sort of support structure - making me wonder this :

Have they realised that they may not end up being as financially stable as they thought , and then just clung top the first money line that comes along while they still have their looks.
That explanation makes sense.

countwoofoolah said:
Are they really that dillusional to think doing an art degree makes you Da Vinci ?
I think they know that you have to bring your own creativity. But it can't hurt to learn the basics and differnet techniques, and they just give you more tools to express yourself.

TheMonkeyKing

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A lot of people think that a lot of things make them amazing, not just those doing art degrees.

The sense of entitlement and faux self worth has never been higher in our species. We contribute almost nothing to the world as an environment nor to historical development.

What was the last great invention? The internet? Wow. Big wow. It's just made (Western) life even easier and (Western) populations even more entitled yet even less self reliant.

devilkingx2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
TheMonkeyKing said:
What was the last great invention? The internet? Wow. Big wow. It's just made (Western) life even easier and (Western) populations even more entitled yet even less self reliant.
don't complain about the greatest thing ever while using it.

Vice

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've noticed the exact same thing.

Part of it has to do with affluent women taking up art because they have other means of financial support (trust fund, wealthy parents, etc.). Others who are not from affluent families do it to get their MRS degree (marrying a guy with earning potential before they graduate). There's nothing wrong with this in my opinion, as this has been going on for decades. It's part of the game, no amount of whining will do anything. It also doesn't make sense from a man's perspective, but remember that these women are already taken care of or will be able to because of their attractiveness.

Then there's those idiots that take up art because they believe the BS that their professors tell them, and take out massive loans at the age of 18 to pay for a degree that has a negative ROI. Captain Capitalism discusses this concept in great detail in his blog. He used to be an economics professor and now writes about the corruption of the universities. Here's a good post to get started:

http://captaincapitalism.blogspot.com/2010/05/liberal-arts-majors-get-hit-upside-head.html

TheMonkeyKing

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
devilkingx2 said:
don't complain about the greatest thing ever while using it.
The irony obviously passed you by :up:

Would against the 'greatest thing ever' claim. Do you have any hard evidence and/or steadfast argument to support such an outlandish claim??