Starting Smolov tomorrow.

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'd be very interested to see what you could squat as low as you could go.

The 180 video on the last page was a quarter squat and an ego booster, sorry to say- but I'm saying it the way it is. Also very bad for the knees.

I would think an ass to grass attempt would definitely be below you max deadlift, which would align the numbers properly. Although I do hope you can prove me wrong.

Apart from that, keep up the good work.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Kerpal said:
The vast majority of the time, people who squat more than they deadlift are simply not squatting to full depth.
;) :p

I-tallionStallion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Flyer said:
Meal 1: egg, weetbix
Meal 2: pork, rice noodles
Meal 3: pork, vege soup
Meal 4: potatoes, chicken, smoked salmon, rice

I dont think I'm making any real progress, my bodyweight has been fluctuating between 61-63 everytime I weigh myself.

Advice is appreciated.
What's the goal with body weight? Are you eating anything else? If your trying to grow four meals is not going to cut it unless they are enormous. Pork also isn't the greatest tool for bulking as it's higher in fat content than protein. Not saying you can't have bacon but you could add red meat, chicken, turkey

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Exactly Kerpal.

Its important to remember that the powerlifters who are putting up squats several hundred pounds more than their deadlifts are using equipment to do so, and are usually only hitting parallel. If you put on one of these suits you have to load 300-400 on the bar just to be able to hit parallel.

Take away the suits, and magically the several hundred excess comes right back off, take it as low as possible, and the deadlift will be on top.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Quagmire911 said:
Exactly Kerpal.

Its important to remember that the powerlifters who are putting up squats several hundred pounds more than their deadlifts are using equipment to do so, and are usually only hitting parallel. If you put on one of these suits you have to load 300-400 on the bar just to be able to hit parallel.

Take away the suits, and magically the several hundred excess comes right back off, take it as low as possible, and the deadlift will be on top.
Yeah, and most powerlifting squats I've seen aren't even close to full depth. There's a lot of cognitive dissonance going on at most powerlifting meets. I went to an APF meet a few months ago just to check it out, and during the squats I was thinking to myself "They call that a squat? :crackup:" Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUrhOWcby3U

Flyer

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Quagmire911 said:
I'd be very interested to see what you could squat as low as you could go.

The 180 video on the last page was a quarter squat and an ego booster, sorry to say- but I'm saying it the way it is. Also very bad for the knees.

I would think an ass to grass attempt would definitely be below you max deadlift, which would align the numbers properly. Although I do hope you can prove me wrong.

Apart from that, keep up the good work.
Probably around 110. PR front squat was 102.5.

Got exams coming. Taking opportunity to ease off the gym (deload) for the next 2 weeks.

9/5/09 - Saturday

Burgener Warmup.

Deadlift
5x 80
5x 100
5x 107.5
11x 107.5

Bench
5x 40
5x 50
11x 60
6x 60

Snatch
3x3 - 40

ES chest - 7.5kg 1 minute (lol. that was humbling)
ES shoulders

Spine Decomp.

Pullups
4x8

@ Itallion
Ideally I would like to get to 69kg. Plan of attack to get there would generally be more volume work - i.e. 8x reps instead of 4x reps, and eating ALOT more.

But I think there's yet more strength/power to be achieved at current weight before moving on.. i.e At least snatching 60 would be good.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So did you ever actually hit a 180 kg full squat?

Flyer

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
To parallel on the 3rd attempt.
lol.. I'm gonna count it. :)

Flyer

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
rraaggghh.. Its been one week since i last trained. Exam on coming tuesday... grrr.

16/5/09 - Saturday

Burgener Warmup + barbell benches

Hang Snatch
3x 30

Snatch
2x3 40
3x 45
3x 50 (missed a few times before I got this)

OH Squat
5x 40
5x 45
3x5 50

Power Cleans
8x 60 (felt gooooood)

Clean & Jerk
3x 70

Pullups
3x8

@Kerpal: parallel is what you make of it.. i.e. half squat, not ATG, normal squat. No video was made since the attempt you saw on page 3.

I dont even look at mirrors in the gym when I do snatch/c&js.. reckon it messes with the 'awareness' level.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So you're counting the one in the video as a "parallal" squat?

Flyer

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Yup.

Flyer

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You said it wasn't parallel, now you're saying it was.

Flyer

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
lol. smart cookie.

It would have been something similar and slightly lower to that shown on the video on the 3rd attempt. For simplicity's sake, I responded with a 'yup'.

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It wasn't parallel. Not OUR parallel Kerpal :p

I still think parallel is bs anyway.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It is. That's why "hip joint below top of knee" is the right way to do it. None of this "parallel" bull****, it's just too ambiguous and hard to judge. IMO, If the top of your thigh at your hip joint was not below the top of your knee, it wasn't a full squat, and it didn't count, period. If there's any question at all, then you should have gone a few millimeters deeper and it wasn't a full squat and it didn't count, period. If you were wearing anything other than normal gym clothes, and maybe a belt, then it didn't count, period. If it was done with anything other than standard free weights and a rack (no monolift), then it didn't count, period. If anyone touched you or the weight anytime between when you descended and when you stood back up, then it didn't count, period.

I'm tired of seeing **** like this called a "squat": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUrhOWcby3U Don't even get me started on the bench. Powerlifting was such a cool sport, but the gear and cognitive dissonance have ruined it. People are claiming totally ridiculous numbers, by cheating and ****ty judging, and it discredits the sport and the lifters. It's just like story of the Emperor's New Clothes, everyone in the room knows it's ridiculous, but nobody wants to say it out loud. Powerlifting has become a joke for the most part.

I still think the raw, (belt is OK for safety, straps are OK if grip is a limitation, because you never need to hold onto a 400 lb + bar outside of a gym) conventional (not sumo) deadlift is the best all-around test of strength. Technique isn't a big factor, it's a pretty fair test (unless you have t-rex or orangutan length arms) and there's not really any way to cheat (except for hitching) so none of this garbage like Flyer is pulling, with people claiming 400+ lb "squats" when they're really quarter-squatting, and can't even pull 315 off the floor.

Sorry Flyer, but the "squat" you posted was a joke, I don't think it was even a quarter squat. If your claimed 180 kg "squat" was only slightly lower, than it still wasn't even close to a full squat, it probably wasn't even a half squat. That's why your "squat" is 40 kg higher than your deadlift. I hope you didn't "squat" that high for the entire Smolov cycle, because if you did then you wasted 13 weeks of training. If you would like to disprove this by squatting 180 kg under the above criteria and posting a side-view video, I'd love to see it and will retract my statement. Otherwise please edit your sig, because it's ridiculous.

Last edited:

Flyer

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Kerpal said:
It is. That's why "hip joint below top of knee" is the right way to do it. None of this "parallel" bull****, it's just too ambiguous and hard to judge. IMO, If the top of your thigh at your hip joint was not below the top of your knee, it wasn't a full squat, and it didn't count, period. If there's any question at all, then you should have gone a few millimeters deeper and it wasn't a full squat and it didn't count, period. If you were wearing anything other than normal gym clothes, and maybe a belt, then it didn't count, period. If it was done with anything other than standard free weights and a rack (no monolift), then it didn't count, period. If anyone touched you or the weight anytime between when you descended and when you stood back up, then it didn't count, period.

I'm tired of seeing **** like this called a "squat": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUrhOWcby3U Don't even get me started on the bench. Powerlifting was such a cool sport, but the gear and cognitive dissonance have ruined it. People are claiming totally ridiculous numbers, by cheating and ****ty judging, and it discredits the sport and the lifters. It's just like story of the Emperor's New Clothes, everyone in the room knows it's ridiculous, but nobody wants to say it out loud. Powerlifting has become a joke for the most part.

I still think the raw, (belt is OK for safety, straps are OK if grip is a limitation, because you never need to hold onto a 400 lb + bar outside of a gym) conventional (not sumo) deadlift is the best all-around test of strength. Technique isn't a big factor, it's a pretty fair test (unless you have t-rex or orangutan length arms) and there's not really any way to cheat (except for hitching) so none of this garbage like Flyer is pulling, with people claiming 400+ lb "squats" when they're really quarter-squatting, and can't even pull 315 off the floor.

Sorry Flyer, but the "squat" you posted was a joke, I don't think it was even a quarter squat. If your claimed 180 kg "squat" was only slightly lower, than it still wasn't even close to a full squat, it probably wasn't even a half squat. That's why your "squat" is 40 kg higher than your deadlift. I hope you didn't "squat" that high for the entire Smolov cycle, because if you did then you wasted 13 weeks of training. If you would like to disprove this by squatting 180 kg under the above criteria and posting a side-view video, I'd love to see it and will retract my statement. Otherwise please edit your sig, because it's ridiculous.
ok.