Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Starting college at 24: Yay or Nay?

StateOfMind

Don Juan
Reaction score
So Im joining the air force and plan on doing four year enlistment. After that I'd like to go to a decent college since I would have the money to do so(G.I. Bill) Now, by the time im done with the air force, ill be 24... So meaning Ill be having my bachelors at age 28-29. That seems a bit old and late. And I might just want/have to get a Masters, that puts me at 30-31!!

What do you guys think? Its either that or retire In the Air Force but as of now, that doesnt seem to be the smartest thing to do. Starting a career at pretty much the age of 30 seems meek or is my youth just terrified of getting old? Haha

search1ng

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's fine as long as you're going to study something that brings you a job. A vocational degree.

Who Dares Win

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Being older than the others wont hurt you as long as you prove that you were not wasting time and instead had experience in fields that others dont.

BMX

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Exactly. Get your degree while you are still in your twenties. There's nothing wrong with retiring from the USAF either. Unless you're CCT or pararescue, there's not a whole lot of danger sitting around eating cheetos in air condition or committing fratricide on Army/Marines. Let your G.I. bill accrue.

Michele l'Arcangelo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Social_Leper said:
Experience in the armed forces is something which is well respected by employers. Go for it.
Do your research. Military is not wanted. It makes you old with no relevant experience when you get out.

FairShake

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Career military isn't all that bad. It can be limiting though and doesn't always have the kind of civvie application that your recruiters tell you.

As for 24 being too old...go to your local community college. At least a third of the students there are older than that. Plus with online schools the age of college students is more fluid than ever.

Alot of 18 year olds I know aren't ready for college. 22 is probably a better age to start college if I'm judging maturity levels of our nation's youth.

self-respect

Don Juan
Reaction score
Think of what you want to do down the road, and if that requires a college degree. It would be a waste of time to pay for 4 years of school and realize you don't like your options when you graduate. That being said, 31 is not at all too late to start a career. You still have 30+ working years until the average retirement. That's as long as you've been alive at that point. I'd say choose whatever career will make you happiest and start working in that direction, and everything will be worth the effort you put in. 24's a great age with many opportunities ahead of you.

It depends on the field but your military background should be a plus as well. It'll give you something to talk about on interviews, show you were actively contributing with a sense of responsibility instead of sitting around on your ass at home in your bedroom, and it'll really give you a sense of maturity that will make you more productive than every other 18 year old freshman.

BigJimbo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The type of guy who asks what he should do with his life on an online forum is exactly the type of guy who ends up joining the military these days.

Put me in the camp that suggests you play FIFA or COD in your mother's basement, while drinking cheap booze and creating multiple POF profiles. Hey, at least those type of guys are harmless. Just be sure to come out for some sun at least once a day. Your body needs it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E01yzhu4e0w&feature=related
BTW, FIFA all day. PES was only relevant back in the pre-XBOX/PS3 days.

StateOfMind

Don Juan
Reaction score
You just displayed your ignorance. Im very fit, healthy individual(Dont need to go in detail for obvious reasons) Who actually received his associate degree while in HS. You are jumping to conclusions for no reason at all. Giving off negative energy, for what? You sir, obviously dont have your **** together. Im asking very good questions, not basic questions that Google could answer.

Michele l'Arcangelo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you can do part time college while being in full time high school and get your associates degree, you can easily go part time school college and be active duty Air Force.

Is your associates degree relevant to the bachelors degree you want?

Gaucho

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
24, your still a kid. You have no children/mortgage or committments, which would make the decision one you would have to weigh up.

But at this point, you are young, if you want to do something, do it. Don't look back and wonder what could have been. Ever.

MisterD

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
i started college at 17 and only lasted a semester. i definitely wasn't built for it. took some time off to decide what i wanted to do with my life, got a two year associates degree at a community college to hold me until i made my decision. now i'm in my second semester of my bachelor degree at a private four year college.

there are some in my class in their 30s and 40s. once you get to college, no one cares how old you are. your age is not put on your degree. a degree is a degree

so the question then becomes do you want a degree or not. i would vote yes. doesn't automatically get you a job, especially in this economy, but it puts you ahead of the game

let me also thank you for your future service in the air force. i have a friend who's there now and he's like 22. brave stuff. God Bless

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Do what needs to be done.

There comes a time when you have to stop caring what the popular opinion is otherwise you will be a slave to it. If this is important and if this has rewards for you and it's a good and useful education then do it. If you need it then you will do what is necessary to get it.

To avoid making mistakes do your homework thoroughly on the various programs, how well respected they are and how respected the insitutions are and the bang for buck. University versus Community College, the total cost including room and board or transportation... etc. You should also look into sources of money like bursaries and scholarships and whatever your current government employer will give you for education. Plan this out because I'm assuming you won't have mommy and daddy to support you with money if you make a mistake.

metoo

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Do the 3 year army thing, and either get with Blackwater sort of outfit (150k a year) or save your Army money and build credit, then use the money and credit to buy-refurbish an old house in a seedy segment of town. Turn it into a rooming house, for 10+ men, at $100 a week. Live there at first, while you learn how it goes. Repeat as needed to assure the sort of income that you need, ie, buy and set up other such houses. they can and probably should be in different towns, in fact. you can make a 50% return on your money, pretty safe investment. The street bums WILL pay such money, now and then, at least, to get in out of the weather. They panhandle, steal, sell their food stamps, sell blood plasma, prostitute themselves to gay men, talk-beat women out of money, etc. What matters is that they DO get the money for such rooms, now and then, at least, and keep your income flowing.