some oneitis issues and thinking of leaving my job....

Director

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey all, been lurking for nearly a year (I've read most of the really good stuff, too - most of the Bible, Pook, nearly all of the stuff from Rollo and Krassus, and I've lately been reading a lot of Interceptor's really awesome posts) and I've decided to join up and contribute. What you guys have going on here is really special - there are ideas and thoughts being discussed around here not just about women, but about Life, that are very important and can't be found in many other places online.

For almost a year I've constantly struggled to implement a lot of the stuff I've read around here that resonates with me, with mixed success. The important thing, though, is that I haven’t given up and quit. Inner game, really, is the key to all of it, and that's where we get to the subject of my post - I think my workplace is rapidly becoming a toxic environment for me. And the funny thing is, I love the place, and really enjoy being around all the people I work with. That's the problem.

In about a year, I'll be done with college, and I took the job over the summer thinking it'd just be a summer job. I soon moved up, and decided to stay through school. Last semester was rough, but I came out just fine. A few weeks ago, I honestly thought I'd be at the job until I graduate college.

My job is only tangentially related to my dream career (film director), but in the small urban area that I live in, it's honestly probably the only job that's even vaguely related to film. However, I feel like I've been forgetting about the bigger things, and what I want out of Life. I've gotten really comfortable there, and I'm afraid if I stay too much longer, I'm going to start missing opportunities that could help me achieve my larger goals. I desperately want to do some long-term, round-the-world travel, and I also have a passion for film. But I've found myself getting into the mindset where I am forgetting these things, or pushing them off to the side. A few months ago, a family member told me that I "barely ever talk about film anymore," and with a shock I realized she was right. I almost felt ashamed.

I could easily pursue some really cool film-related internships this summer, but I had found myself thinking that I didn't think I could get the time off work, so I'd rather just stay at work instead of quit to go after the internships. I look back on that kind of thinking now, and it seems so backwards to me. Of course, it doesn't help at all that I work with my Oneitis.

I've fallen hard for her, and it happened pretty quickly as well. I could feel the Oneitis coming on, and having been on here and other DJ type sites, I knew exactly what it was, but at that point I really couldn't stop it (the AFC mindsets were still too entrenched, and in some ways, still are - At 21, I've never kissed a girl, and it honestly doesn't bother me that much, but there it is all the same). A few months ago, when we were still getting to know each other as friends, I probably even had somewhat of a shot with her. I had tossed around some really basic C+F type stuff, and she gave me that "shocked grin" look a couple of times, which I hadn't seen from her before, and haven't since. There were also a couple of occasions around the same time where she touched me or invited me to touch her. Nothing too big (she didn't sit down on my lap and ask me if I wanted to f*** or anything), but a little spark nonetheless.

However, I've blown all of that now, to the Friendzone Hell point of no recovery. I'm sure of that. The other day, I was hanging out with my friends/coworkers and ended up in a situation where I had to touch her in a vaguely sexual way as part of a game. And she smiled and everybody laughed and all of that, but I saw it in her eyes. Repulsion. I think I would have felt better if she'd just straight up kicked me in the balls.

For a while I thought that I would just get good at all this DJ stuff and find my right path, and then maybe I could go after her. That thinking, though, is deeply destructive and 100% counterintuitive. I'm not really in a position to GFTOW right now (and I'm not sure it can help me from falling right back into the oneitis trap - I see this girl a few times a week), so I've really only got two options for getting over my Oneitis:

1. Ask her out AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, and get rejected (I'm almost certain this would be the outcome). However, this would inevitably make things pretty awkward at work, especially among our group of mutual friends/coworkers.

2. Quit, and cut contact with her.

Obviously, the second choice is the one I am leaning towards, for more reasons than one.

I'm so close to crossing that threshhold and really getting on the right path, I can feel it. If I can just get motivated enough to take that first step, there'll be nothing that can stand in my way. I've been an AFC all my life, but there's a fire inside of me. I can feel it grow when I think about how I'm going to be once I get past my AFCness. I can feel it grow when I think about travelling and film. I can feel it grow when I read some of the better, more enlightening posts on this board. It's the Unquenchable Fire of Manhood. And I feel like if I stay at my job for too much longer, I'll just be throwing water and dirt all over it - even though I really like what I do (for now), and like the people I work with.

There's some part of me, though, that just can't help but feel that I'm wussing out. Quitting anything, on the face of it, just sounds wussy. I also wonder if asking the girl out and getting rejected would be a more correct way of going about solving my Oneitis crap.

However, there's an enormous difference between quitting something because you're a wuss and walking away because you know something will damage you. One is borne out of cowardice, and the other, courage.

I think I'm acting out of courage in this case.

Thoughts?

Augie

Don Juan
Reaction score
Don't quit the Job, if it's ever raised just say you don't hit on work colleagues, I would just remain friendly and sociable if your outgoing in time it will be taken has a joke and remember to laugh along with it.

Director

Don Juan
Reaction score
I appreciate the reply, Augie. Few things I forgot to add:

I by no means need the job. I don't need money to pay for college, and the only living expenses I have right now are gas and "go out and have fun/buy stuff" money. I'd like to keep a steady income going through college so that I can be saving, but it's not necessary, and I can just as easily find sources of income elsewhere.

KontrollerX

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Great opening post.

"even though I really like what I do (for now), and like the people I work with.
"

Hey as the old phrase goes "if you want to make an omellette sometimes you have to break a few eggs.

Go ahead and quit the job man, your gut instinct sense is telling you that the chick will reject you at this point and by allowing that to happen you transfer power to her and get humiliated, instead slip away by quitting the job and regroup by moving your life to where you want it to be.

Its not cowardice. Its the right decision for you at this stage in the game. Its maturity.

You have the fire for success and you will acheive it but you must take action to do so.

Good luck brother we'll all help you in any way that we can to continually improve your mindset for success.

Director

Don Juan
Reaction score
I think you're right, Kontroller. If I do quit (which right now I am planning on), I think I'd be acting from the right sort of mindset.

The pay I am getting and straight up having a job right now is sort of secondary to me - the bottom line is that I've become emotionally attached to the place and the people who work there, and if I let myself act from that sort of mindset, I'll be trapped. This shouldn't be about my coworkers/friends, or any of that. It should be about ME, and what's best for me in my life RIGHT NOW.

And I think that would be quitting, before I get sucked in any further. When I realized what sort of mindset I was taking to this thing a few weeks ago, it just totally baffles me. It's like I had lost focus of what's important.

The only thing that I need to make absolutely sure of, however, is that I will use the time and the freedom I gain by quitting to actually make legitimate progress, not only towards my dream career, but also towards Manhood. If I know that this isn't what is going to happen, then I might as well stay, if only for the pay.

I think I have the courage to take the steps necessary, though.

Director

Don Juan
Reaction score
If I am really going to go through with this, tomorrow or the next day is probably when I'm going to give my boss notice that I'm leaving.

It's been weighing heavily on my mind, and I'm still a bit conflicted. I've been trying to dig deeply to figure out just why I've felt so troubled about the place lately.

I think a lot of it has to do with the difference between SELF-ESTEEM and EGO (take a look at some of Interceptor's posts for more on this). I changed departments early on in my time out there, and I knew I'd be working more closely with some people who are just a little older than me - they're a pretty tight-knit group, and hang out together. They've since become my friends (one of them is my oneitis). When I changed to their department, I remember wondering if I'd be accepted into their little group, even though I was younger than all of them. They're all good people, so they quickly befriended me and included me, but I think that subconsciously I've felt all along that I somehow have to earn or live up to that friendship. I've used them to build my EGO, and made an ego-investment in maintaining my status within the group. That was where I made my mistake. I should have been trying to develop my SELF-ESTEEM, and a higher opinion of myself, but I instead ended up developing my EGO. Ego is a fragile thing (not to mention an unhealthy thing), and thus needs near-constant protection if you intend to maintain it. Needless to say, this is mentally and emotionally draining, and I think it has been a large factor in my growing frustration with my work.

The oneitis stuff is related, but at the same time different, and more troublesome. There's a certain sense of EGO that has gone along with the struggle to maintain my somewhat awkward relationship with her. Ultimately though, the main source of my agony and endless frustration regarding the oneitis has been one of the symptoms of oneitis itself: When we begin to slip further into oneitis, at some point we cede our emotional control to our oneitis. This is the root cause of all the "What does she think of me?" type anxiety and near-endless mental handwringing that surrounds all of her words and gestures. Once you get this deep into oneitis, you live and die by her emotional states, which, in most cases have nothing to do with anything you've said or done. She may be having a bad day and that's why she's a little distant, but in a oneitis-infected mind, we automatically assume that maybe she doesn't like us so much anymore, and our day immediately turns sour. This is absolute madness, and I don't think I need to explain to you guys just how agonizing it is, as I'm sure all of you guys have been through it at one point or another.

When I think of quitting and escaping all of this, there's some pain (I've made an emotional investment in the place, and I'm honestly going to miss a lot of the people out there). However, more than anything, I feel a deep sense of relief. At the same time, though, I feel like this is an easy way out. The main reasons I want to leave my job (get over my oneitis and start pursuing other women, pursue my dream career, refocus on school, free up more time for personal development, etc.) will be easier to accomplish after leaving. But I can't help feeling that if I'd just dig really deep, I could get all of this done without leaving - I could overcome my oneitis and maybe even develop a healthy, genuine, and reciprocal friendship with the girl, I could clear my mind of any emotional dependence on the people out there, I could better manage my time to pursue my dream career and other goals, etc. The job pays well, I enjoy it on some level, and it's not your run of the mill retail or food industry job that most college kids get stuck with.

It's tough work, deplugging yourself from the matrix and systematically eliminating all of the damaging mental schemas that have had years and years to crystallize. I don't want to make it any harder for myself than it's already going to be, and at this point, it's painfully obvious to me that my job is weighing me down, muddying the waters, and clouding my thinking. But I don't want to feel like I'm retreating or giving up, either. If I frame leaving my job as a promise to myself to accomplish the things that I outlined above, and then make good on that promise by giving a sincere, sustained effort, then I'll probably be able to look back on the decision to quit and feel that I made the right choice. But if not...

What it really all boils down to is a question that I'm going to have to answer for myself:

At what point does a situation become so damaging that the most mature, assertive, and confident response is to quietly walk away?