Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Society & Obesity

Aztec

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by check_mate_kid_uk

At least girls apreciate me working out, although they still think £1100 for a bike is crazy :p
That's crazy! :D

Vincent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by diplomatic_lies
"Fat people are people too!"
(More like 3 people)
That is probably one of the funniest things I've ever read.

I think it's funny how people are always complaining about how models are "Unhealthy". Which one can run a mile? the fat chick or the skinny chick who works out. Hmmm.

WesCottII

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Leave 'em to it. I recently got voted as having the best body in the school. My motivation? Every person who cannot be bothered to get themselves to a gym. Can't be bothered to run. Thats why I do it.

Plus it helps me to get laid.

SELF-MASTERY

Banned
Reaction score
I dont know where any of you are from, but being thin, fit, buff, and concerned about health is not considered negative where Im from.

The new thing i've noticed in the media concerning being thin is that the focus is abut being healthy not having the perfrct body. Being realistic about your goals is the most important thing....That is why scales are trash....

At the same time I do see more fat acceptance; fat guys with hot hos on tv, that whole bbw thing (not entirely negative).....

The truth is thAT NO one wANTS a fatty!!!

Healthy to me consist of----

a good fat to muscle mass ratio

a whole food diet (no processed food--from Gods kitchen to my dinner table)

Blood pressure within a healthy range

Low blood lipid profile, cholesterol readings, better than avg heart rate....

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by check_mate_kid_uk
Fact is people like themselves and there for the voice of the majority always comes out on top.

At least girls apreciate me working out, although they still think £1100 for a bike is crazy :p
I think that the reason the majority comes out on top in this case is because fat is more buoyant.

And even though they may feel £1100 is a lot for a bike, people tend to spend more here in the states each year on health club memberships (which they may not use) or eating fast food each year. Give me my road bike and I'm happy!

Oxide

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yesterday i went to the grocery store. I decided to actually pay attention to people and what they are buying... and of course there was a nice correlation: all the fat people had 24 packs of soda in their carts, plus some quick snacks.

This guy was at the register when i had to get by. I said "excuse me" and tried to get by, however he was so fat he had to move out of the isle in order for me to get by... i looked at his wife... fat lady with a gut..and then his daughter, who was joyfully singing while carrying a 24 pack of coke on her already overweight stomach. She was around 9-10.

This is nuts. In foreign country fat people stick out and usually are critisized. Francisco, you just pointed out that we miss this while living in US, and i completely agree... i myself havent been paying much attention after living here for 6 years...it is more like "yeah, another old guy" rather than "he is WAY to fat"...

I dont know about you guys, but this all just adds to my fire of desire to stay healthy and fit.

Gus

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I think that the reason the majority comes out on top in this case is because fat is more buoyant.
:crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

If you do a Google search on "causes of obesity" the first cause everywhere is "genetics". I have NEVER EVER EVER seen a consistently physically active person who is obese. I think we can partly blame our doctors (who are also obese) for this problem. Perhaps it's even intentional...more obesity = more health problems = more drugs (Americans like quick fixes) = more money for the drug companies.

<rant>
People get fat and then lose 20 years of their life...and they KNOW it's going to happen, but they don't even care...they want to die...deep down inside there's nothing really that motivates them to live. Life is just a boring, stressful routine...there's nothing to shoot for, no goals, no aspirations, no dreams...just...sliding by.

Meanwhile...it makes it a whole lot easier for those of us who choose to live.

</rant>

Alpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Of course the big thing now is 'Passive Fattening', research has discovered that just by being with people who are fat you are 10 times more likely to become fat yourself.

This is a very worrying although some medical authorities disagree with these findings.

Experiments with rats found that fat rats gave off chemical 'signals' similar to pheromones that made other rats eat more. The findings concluded humans may well have a similar chemical 'messenger' that induces overeating where fat people are present.

MetalFortress

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The overabundance of fat acceptance is something that has been done to death because of the whole eating disorder problem in this country, but maybe if there were less single-mother homes, the eating disorders would be less effing COMMON.

Funny, I bet there are people who will think I'm shallow for requiring that any girl I date care for her body and appearance, too. I expect no less from myself, either.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Alpine
Of course the big thing now is 'Passive Fattening', research has discovered that just by being with people who are fat you are 10 times more likely to become fat yourself.

This is a very worrying although some medical authorities disagree with these findings.

Experiments with rats found that fat rats gave off chemical 'signals' similar to pheromones that made other rats eat more. The findings concluded humans may well have a similar chemical 'messenger' that induces overeating where fat people are present.
I believe it. Masses of people tend to reflect the environment they share. I was in France for several weeks last winter and without working out I ended up loosing weight and became more fit! All I did was eat like the Parisians and walked instead of driving. I didn't change what I ate, just the amount plus I ate more frequently. It was difficult the first week but after that it was a piece of cake! :crackup:

Now I understand why Health Clubs aren't on every other corner in Europe as they are here in the states. They just aren't necessary.

Alpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Despite being only 30miles from the English coast, France's culture and lifestyle is very different to ours, in fact ours is much more like the US, and increasingly so.

One main area is diet, in so far as if you go to France most food is home prepared and unadulterated with fat and sugar. They drink a fair bit and eat fatty meat, but they are still much healthier than us.

My theory is a big part of it is social eating. Years ago people here used to sit around the table and eat together.

It was at a liesurely pace and people talked to each other. This still is the norm in most European countries, but not UK.

I suspect unwittingly we eat less when eating as a family and unhurried.

check_mate_kid_uk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
like many other genitc problems being fat could be one, but even so it would effect under 1% of the population, i bet for every 100 fat people maybe 1 could genuinly have a genetic disorder. Yes some people have slower motabilisms but as mentioned above, if you are buying 24 packs of coke how can you blame it on genetics or even motabilism. I have been eating badly recently and my weight was climbing up and then I droped some and it would climb up again.

I sotped eating all choclate, anything with sugar in basicly, and guess what i can eat as much regular food as i want and im actuly loosing weight, which i want to do a little bit so im lighter on my bike.

The crayzest thing is, theres this girl i know, HB8 she kind of got osme meat on her, i dont mean shes fat shes just not one of those really skinny girls. So she is always trying to diet with no success and she wont listen to me! I tell her that she is doing it wrong because she is cutting back her food so much that her bodt thinks there is no food and decreases motabilism. I used to weight over 11 stones when i was 14 yes i was fat and then i lost 3 stones in 2 months, i ate healthy but no i hardly decreased what i ate i just started excersizing yet people seem to want to give up food before they are willing to excersize.

Alpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
In life, animals always follow the path of least resistance, even if they know it's no good for them.

Let's face it, most people know by now diets don't work and that our bodies in nature would be self regulating ie Hungry---go hunt some food---burn cals etc. Today you just drive to the shops.

I have yet to see a fat marathon runner.

check_mate_kid_uk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
the problem is not only the lack of excersize, although this plays a large part, there was no mucdonals, or coke or cadburys 5000 years ago.

Life back then was hard manual labour it reflected something like working on a ranch it was not like now where you are behind a desk all day and drive home.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Despite being only 30miles from the English coast, France's culture and lifestyle is very different to ours, in fact ours is much more like the US, and increasingly so.

One main area is diet, in so far as if you go to France most food is home prepared and unadulterated with fat and sugar. They drink a fair bit and eat fatty meat, but they are still much healthier than us.

My theory is a big part of it is social eating. Years ago people here used to sit around the table and eat together.

It was at a liesurely pace and people talked to each other. This still is the norm in most European countries, but not UK.

I suspect unwittingly we eat less when eating as a family and unhurried.
You are correct about the Parisians diet however they do four noticeable things that I feel contribute to their healthier appearance:

1. Although they us fat and sugar, they primarily use non-processed foods.
  2. They eat MUCH SMALLER portions.
  3. They eat more slowly to enjoy the food experience. This leads to better digestion and use by the body.
  4. They are not tethered to automobiles for transportation. They primarily walk everywhere.
    [/list=1]

Surprisingly I just received an invitation to a presentation at our Mayo Clinic by a doctor from the UK who has been working on an interesting study on exercise and weight loss. He's determined that even the most basic activities such as chewing gum and fidgeting burns calories. In addition, walking or even standing for two hours of the work day can burn over 300 calories a day. That could translate to 30 to 50 pounds per year (so he says). He also regularly works on his computer while walking on a treadmill! This will definitely be a interesting presentation.

Luveno

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
THe most disturbing thing I have ever witnessed was a 5 year old kid being hospitalized for atherosclerosis(hardening of the arteries). It was not genetic. It was because his parents fed him junk and nothing but. The kid has the heart of a 75 year old man.

VERY FEW kids should be fat. In our society, thin is the rarity.

It's a shame.

but maybe if there were less single-mother homes, the eating disorders would be less effing COMMON.
This is one of those generalizations that ruin the credibility of this site.

Accepting fatness was not really used as a way to curb anorexia. It was an excuse so fat people could stay fat. Far more people die of obesity related disease than anorexia. If anything, fat people should be treated like smokers: go be fat somewhere else, and pay fat tax. They should be continuously reminded that it's not sexy. Heck, they should be given subpoenas to the gym!

Sure, That's extreme and would never work but it would be nice if it did.

Aztec

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

Thank you for pointing that out. For example, kids see that their parents eat like they're eating their last meals, children will obviously emulate what they witness especially the young, impressionable ones. Monkey see, monkey do.

I still cringe when people defend the genetic theory. I'm not saying that it's not true, I'm just saying that most likely children are fat because of what they are accustomed at home. I have to relate that to drug addiction. None of the supposed theories have convinced me that it is genetic. But that's another topic.

Aztec

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Luveno

Accepting fatness was not really used as a way to curb anorexia. It was an excuse so fat people could stay fat. Far more people die of obesity related disease than anorexia. If anything, fat people should be treated like smokers: go be fat somewhere else, and pay fat tax. They should be continuously reminded that it's not sexy. Heck, they should be given subpoenas to the gym!

Sure, That's extreme and would never work but it would be nice if it did.

That's what we get when we live in a excessively liberal, PC nation.

GlutusMaximus86

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Aztec
That's what we get when we live in a excessively liberal, PC nation.
Oh yes our nation is just so liberal right now, especially with the Republicans running all 3 branches of government :rolleyes:. If you really think our nation is too liberal, go move to Australia.

Aztec

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by GlutusMaximus86
Oh yes our nation is just so liberal right now, especially with the Republicans running all 3 branches of government :rolleyes:. If you really think our nation is too liberal, go move to Australia.

Based on your age, I'm not even going to debate on this.