So my buddy got married last weekend...

Warrior74

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
We've been friends for about 10 years now, we've worked at the same tv stations. In fact I got him on here because you know, gotta look out for your bros. Anyway, this guy was a player...he wasn't tall, didn't have a lot of money, but he had natural game. A couple of years back he was up to 7 or 8 girls in his rotation and I was up to 4. We used to chop up game and I learned a lot from him.

I watched him change though. With 7 or 8 girls, he eventually got burned out. One by one they dropped out or he dropped them for several reasons. Crazy, BDP, kids, baby daddy drama, game playing. I used to joke that the little miss goody two shoes he was dating would be his future wife. Surprise surprise, guess which one he married? She doesn't give bjs, she works two jobs, she made him wait months before he hit it (he didn't care, he had several others). She was a challenge, blew hot and cold, dated other guys. And eventually he told me he was sick of the game and was ready to give it up. They started dating exclusively, she got pregnant, and they got married. I hate to say it but compared to the other girls he used to bang, this one was came in last place in terms of looks. In her favor, she comes from a strong nuclear family, and her parents are still married. Thats always a plus in my book.

The thing I noticed though was this. As he became more exclusive with her...his frame slipped. He talked less and less about what he wanted and more and more about what she wanted. He wanted to get out of the TV business...now he's shooting for a management position at our station to bring in more income. He wanted to move out of state, but now they bought a house. I understand about family, having a had one, and I understand about sarcifices, having made them. And I understand about not following your own path in life, having given mine up for a my ex. I tried to warn him, but he wouldn't listen. He told me I was just bitter and I have a problem with women.

Leading up to the wedding he complained constantly on how much money they were spending (not alot, we are lower middle class folks, but still 5-8k is a lot for us). He was saying how he could finish paying off his car for that and they went in their savings (mostly his) to pay for it. I told him to cut that wedding budget in half, but of course she wouldn't have that so he dismissed it out of hand.

I missed the bachelor party as I had a major client in town for my side business. He went into detail about the strippers and how hot they were and how they wanted to give him bjs and have sex for no additional fee. Of course he turned them down.

And now almost a week into his marriage I asked him, how does it feel? Do you feel any different? And of course the answer was no, he felt the same. He showed me the wedding photos and I hate to say it but it looked like his wife has actually put on weight (duh, she had baby 6 months ago), but I don't really see her as being the type to get it off. She was already short and plump to begin with.

I'm of two minds, on the one hand, I'm happy for him. But on the otherhand I just can't see getting married in this day and age. If I'm going to gamble on my future, I guess I have the go big or go home mentality. I want the total package, drama free and very attractive. He said that attraction wasn't everything and that he didn't want to be 40 and single and that he wanted to be there for his son. I can respect that. As a weekend Dad I know how hard that can be. I can't help but feel he sold him self short though. She fully wears the pants now. So much so that if the fellas are hanging out and talking about girls and past conquests, he'll check his phone to make sure he didn't pocket dial her. This happened once and he was in the dog house and on the sofa for a few days. I just find it hard to live like that again. Once through the ringer and out of the cage, I don't think I could ever go back. Him and other friends/family keep telling me that I'm going to grow old alone and that I'm too picky. But hell, I was born alone and I'll die alone. I spent large portions of my childhood and adult life alone, so it doesn't scare me.

I live in a small town. Population 224,810. Lots of college and military and retired people. Night life is pretty lame. The nearest major cities are about 2-3.5 hours away. Getting married is what people do here. Especially in the south. I know people who are in their mid 30s on their second and third marriage. I get looked at like a freak when I tell them I've never been married (I was practically common law, but that doesn't count in this state unless you represent the other person as your spouse in public, thank god for lawyer friends). People get married here and then cheat. Its as common as sand on a beach. I know men who have been ruined by marriages and still jump back into the fray. I can't see doing that. I can't see being that guy who says, "oh we went through a rough patch" but we are better for it now, only to get divorced a few months/years later or end up in jail on domestic abuse or get all stalkerish. I've seen my friends go through that.

I mean do guys just get tired and give up? Do they just stop holding out for hope and wife up the first non drama chubby chic? I see so many fatties here with rings on their fingers and I'm like the Dad on Arrested Development "Her?". I've been told I'm childish, immature, afraid of commitment all the shaming tactics.

I've dated women who have told me how they have been complete sluts in college, but want me to wait 6 months for sex. How can guys even fall for that? It's insulting.

Maybe I am bitter. I dunno. I just don't see myself falling into that trap for less than average women. But that's the reality I see with grown men around me every day.

I was at my other office and my coworker there was watching the least funniest sitcom on tv. Two and A Half Men. In that particular episode, Charlie Sheen's character was basically feeling bad because he was turning 40 and had nobody. Even his stalker eventually moved on. In the next episode he was making a fool out of himself trying to keep up with a 24 year old and buying into her frame, trying to go clubbing and hanging out with her friends. I know better than to that. She can roll with me or just be and FB, not trying to hang out with youngsters. But at the end of the episode his nerdy/gay brother takes him to a club with older women to make him feel young again. I have a few older ladies who have shown me interest, but honestly they don't do much to raise the staff to half mast. The older ones that are attractive usually have some beta husband who pays all the bills while they still ride the **** carousel behind his back. I refuse to end up being that guy, and I don't mess with married women.

Anyway, I'm focusing on my finances, and now I'm focusing on my health. I work so much I barely have time to spend with my daughter, much less seriously date. I had my fun in college and in the club scene. I just can't see going to get married because its the "next logical step".

I guess this post has no other meaning than for me to reflect on my thoughts on marriage. Feel free to chime in. I'd like to hear from some of the happily married guys on here.

5string

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sounds like he "settled" for her because he was closing in on 40. You recognized it and feel bad for him because you know as well as anyone, that when one feels the "need" to get married and they "settle" for somebody, you know they are getting married for the wrong reason.

Remain friends with him. He may need you more now than before he was married.

Kailex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I wonder if it was because he was closing in on 40 or because he got her pregnant. I've seen men who try to do "the right thing" by sticking by the woman when sometimes, sticking by her could actually be the "wrong thing".

Whether you are with the woman or not, you are still paying "child support", whether it's implicit or explicit.

I think your friend might be using the pregnancy as a way to justify the reason why he felt like he was approaching 40 and lonely.

Warrior, you obviously know the situation better, but do you think this would have had a different outcome had she NOT become pregnant???

samspade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well man, you gotta do what's right for you and tune out all the opinions. Remember what we already know about people who claim that single men are bitter or sad or what have you. It's totally un-PC to say the same about an unhappily married man - "you're just bitter" or "you're not picky enough." And in the end we all walk our own path.

I've only been married a few months, so my opinion is skewed. My wife, she is foreign, and I wasn't totally sure I wanted to marry her at the time as you may remember. Right now though I'm really glad I did. We're having a blast. Part of it is that she knows I wear the pants, and I know it too. She defers to me on almost everything. She also is one of the most selfless people I've met, which I think impresses my friends and family. She doesn't engage in sarcasm or even too many head games (just some low-level shyt tests). Obviously this is due to frame and could change, especially if I ever turn AFC. On top of that, I find her hot, and she takes care of her body and health.

I do miss some things about the single life - mostly the sense of conquest. Lately I've been wondering if I even miss the varied sex itself, or just the fact that I could conquer a chick. Because after the sex, I was usually bored anyway and she was just a notch. When I was deciding whether to marry, I wondered how much I'd miss this. Once I realized that I knew I could have any woman I wanted, I didn't care as much how many more I had. I know, check in with me in 5 years.... I'll say this though, my wife is good at keeping MY interest level high.

The things I don't miss is all the b.s. from chicks. Flaking, attitude, cheating, etc. I know, all part of the game, I accept it. But sometimes when I see a chick I'd like to have, I think about all the components of seduction, and I get a little turned off. "Probably a self entitled drama queen." And I'm probably right.

What I won't ever stop doing is sharpening the old saw. I still flirt, just not so overtly. I approach too, to practice. I find it fascinating when a woman will seem my ring and continue flirting. I don't mind being married, but I still want to be attractive and mysterious, without crossing any lines of course.

squirrels

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A universe...where heartbreak and sadness have bee
That's the thing...the "good girls" have just as many emotional/psychological problems as the "slvts" do. People think those are a province of the wild girls, but that's because wild girls are just "out there" with everything. "Good girls" just hide those problems better.

Settling down with the first "good girl" you find is just as bad as settling down with the first "any girl" you find. You don't learn to spot the good and bad attributes through dating experience. It's a roll of the dice.

Rollo Tomassi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Heheh,..another "accidental" pregnancy marriage. Squat, asexual plump girl bags another chump.

High Voltage

Don Juan
Reaction score
Very thoughtful post Warrior.

I've thought along the same lines when I think about the value of women in general, and relationships in particular. I've never, ever seen a relationship I wanted to be in (including my own). I tried the LTR thing once and didn't care for it. Got out after 6 years. Right now I'm looking to sleep with some different girls to see if they're worth hanging around in any capacity.

I really don't know how other guys do it. Marry a chick and live a life of servitude. Scary.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
With 7 or 8 girls, he eventually got burned out. One by one they dropped out or he dropped them for several reasons. Crazy, BDP, kids, baby daddy drama, game playing
If the girls in a guy's rotation are all crazy, BPD, or single moms, do they even count?

Look, Warrior74, I agree with you, getting married in this day and age is a HUGE freaking risk for a guy. Your friend may have felt the way I did, that I was willing to try it once, willing to roll that dice once.

I notice you seem to think that he didn't choose the best woman, but if he was spinning 7 or 8 plates at a time he should have gotten some idea of what he wanted versus what was available. Maybe he made a good choice, let's hope so for his sake. I'm skeptical too, but you never know. You have to trust the guy to live his own life.

ChumpNoMore

Don Juan
Reaction score
I almost groan every time my buddies can't do something fun because "a happy wife is a happy life". Barf.

bigjohnson

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Rollo Tomassi said:
Heheh,..another "accidental" pregnancy marriage. Squat, asexual plump girl bags another chump.
That was pretty much my first thought, followed by "why would a guy worry about being 40 and single?"

K-man

Don Juan
Reaction score
Thank's for a very good post, Warrior.

Quote:
"I've dated women who have told me how they have been complete sluts in college, but want me to wait 6 months for sex. How can guys even fall for that? It's insulting."

This seems to be quite common. Always makes me sick to my stomach how women can be so stupid as to admit to being sluts and then refuse put out because they think it'll raise their value or something.

That kind of woman is just for using and then forgetting.

randalll

Don Juan
Reaction score
One of my good friends is pushing sixty and has just divorced his wife of 22 years. He's never been happier. Still drinks with us 20/30 year olds and no one questions it, simply because he's just like us. Chronologically much older, but not in character. I see that as the way I'd like to be at his age.

The number of years you've been around shouldn't be a barrier, and I wouldn't worry about getting old and lonely. hey, you might die before then anyway..

Warrior74

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Zarky said:
Sounds like you need to move to a bigger town.
Wish I could. The good news is that since I'm not from here I don't know alot of people and alot of people don't know me. Also most of my conquest tends to happen out of town. So doing the player/dj thing is easier. If they don't know me through work, or my circle of old club friends, then they probably don't know me.

My buddy seems happy so I wish him the best. I just know how bad it can go.

NewMan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There seems to be a lot of bitterness and negativity here. It's gotten worse, and I only come back now and again, and everytime I do, the majority of posts are all wining about the same thing.

It's really upto the individual. I've got friends who are married, but still go out boozing every week. I also have friends who got married had kids, and have not been out to a bar for years. I've talked to some of those guys - and some of them would rather spend a Friday/Saturday night with their kids than at a bar boozing.

You've got to pick a partner that work for you. some guys pick the ball buster - well because they are losers with no direction in life. OP buddy could be one of those guys - not sure.

I thought I'd never get married - and quite frankly I'm still there - although, in today's society it's difficult to continue a relationship with a woman - and have kids - unless you get married. There are so many things to think about - notably, insurance, tax, estate etc. etc.

Now, some people want kids and some people don't. I've concluded I'd like to have a family. I mean i don't want to be sitting at the bar every Friday - or constantly deal with today's flakey society.

Warrior74

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
NewMan said:
There seems to be a lot of bitterness and negativity here. It's gotten worse, and I only come back now and again, and everytime I do, the majority of posts are all wining about the same thing.

It's really upto the individual. I've got friends who are married, but still go out boozing every week. I also have friends who got married had kids, and have not been out to a bar for years. I've talked to some of those guys - and some of them would rather spend a Friday/Saturday night with their kids than at a bar boozing.

You've got to pick a partner that work for you. some guys pick the ball buster - well because they are losers with no direction in life. OP buddy could be one of those guys - not sure.

I thought I'd never get married - and quite frankly I'm still there - although, in today's society it's difficult to continue a relationship with a woman - and have kids - unless you get married. There are so many things to think about - notably, insurance, tax, estate etc. etc.

Now, some people want kids and some people don't. I've concluded I'd like to have a family. I mean i don't want to be sitting at the bar every Friday - or constantly deal with today's flakey society.
Actually I would rather be home with my kid than to be out. It's not about going out. Its more about living life on your own terms. I'd like to have a wife and family...I just don't see how it can happen to be honest. Maybe it is me, I really don't trust women. I like women, I enjoy their company...but I just don't trust them. Everyone keeps telling me that I haven't met the right girl, but even the so called nice girls I meet fail to live up to my standards. I rarely go out anymore and when I do...its just with the boys to have fun.

bigjohnson

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Warrior74 said:
I just don't see how it can happen to be honest. Maybe it is me, I really don't trust women.
Find a type you like a fetch one from the old country.

NewMan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Actually I would rather be home with my kid than to be out. It's not about going out. Its more about living life on your own terms. I'd like to have a wife and family...I just don't see how it can happen to be honest. Maybe it is me, I really don't trust women. I like women, I enjoy their company...but I just don't trust them. Everyone keeps telling me that I haven't met the right girl, but even the so called nice girls I meet fail to live up to my standards. I rarely go out anymore and when I do...its just with the boys to have fun.
Perhaps it's the people you are meeting, or the type of woman you are with.

I don't know if it's your past or what, but you can't run around the rest of your life not wanting to trust anyone.... and if you look hard enough, you'll find something - or perhaps it's a sefl fullfilling prophosy?

I don't think any of us are prefect. No woman is going to be perfect. It's about what you can and can not except. I was forever finding issues - where it be that the woman smoked to much pot, didn't have a good enough job, parents were divorced - damn i even once topped seeing a girl because one night when I got back to her place, she had holes in her socks and was going to mend them herself. I forever can make excuses - or dream up future scenarios of why I shouldn't be with someone - what it boils down to for me is, does she get it. Does she let you be the man your are, give you the freedom without the hassle and take good care of you. Respect. It's all got to balance out.

Jeffst1980

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm sure your buddy has already considered all the question you've raised on his own. Really, all you can do as a friend is continue to be supportive.

I think that the problem is that most guys don't really go out and filter out women objectively until they find their dream girl; they just do so for a period of time, and then wind up settling down with the girl that is pursuing marriage the most tenaciously. The common theme with most of my married friends is that the wife runs the show; I'd imagine she decided when it was time to get engaged, as well.

It sounds as though, for all your friend's natural game, he was never truly in control of his relationships. I don't think he "changed" as much as he was finally outmaneuvered by this one. At any rate, it's a pretty typical story, and he's probably accepted the outcome already. It sounds like hell to you and me, but it's probably not nearly as bad on the other side...otherwise, the whole idea of marriage would have been scrapped long ago.

Most people DON'T accomplish the goals they set for themselves. Most people DON'T set about to improve themselves. To them, it doesn't seem like there is significant value added to their lives, and that makes sense. Why work to try to keep a 9 when a 5 still turns you on? Why spend long hours trying to earn more money when you can relax at home and enjoy life now? Comfort is a top priority to most people, and stepping of the path of least resistance is an uncomfortable feeling. Our value system here, which revolves around trying to reach and then maintain higher status in order to have more women available to us, is not really any more valid than theirs. It doesn't necessarily make us happier or make life more meaningful, and it certainly isn't easier. It's just the life we're drawn to.

Sometimes, I share this site with other guys, expecting them to be bowled over with amazement at the treasures that lie within the sosuave domain name. And you know what? Most of them don't really care. It takes a certain kind of man to truly be interested in this stuff.