Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Small business ideas???

Not Quite There

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I would like to start up some kind of small business, that only keeps me busy a couple of hours a week. Kind of a part time job, only one where I am the one making the big money. I know it sounds a bit to good to be true, but i'm sure people are doing it out there.

Problem is, I have no idea what kind of stuff I could do, but i'm sure theres got to be some gaps in the market out there.

In fact, i deal with a lot of small business right now in my job, but they all seem to be a bit more 9 to 5.

anyone got any ideas? I bet some of you on here are running your own shyt on the side.

maybe some form of distribution company, any products you think are going to get big soon?

Soupar

Don Juan
Reaction score
You could always start up one of those little ebay shops, I've never been involved with one but I hear you can make good $.

Not Quite There

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
yeah, my friend basically lives off ebay.

He's got a bit of a scam with the old copied cds etc...

But I don't really like ebay, or fancy paying all the transaction fees.

Reaction score
Find a need. Then supply that need.

The greater the need, the more customers you have.

Shiftkey

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Don't expect to only work a few hours a day for the first couple of years at least.

flippinfreak

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
brucevangeorge said:
Find a need. Then supply that need.

The greater the need, the more customers you have.
no duh

Wash people's clothes, there's a need, lots of customers too...

You have to find a need people will actually buy...

That is where your problem comes up, finding customers

Door to door salesman?
Ebay salesman?
telemarket salesman?
multi-domain salesman?
base of operations required?
skilled or unskilled employment?

Are you looking for a business that will support you, something that will provide a few extra bucks a week, or just a get rich scheme?

You also have to deal with the buyers!

Anybody who buys from you has to provide payment, duh

There are going to be instances where somebody will offer to have a progressive payment system.

thederekeffect1

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I hope you don't expect a straight answer, because no one's going to give you a real idea if it's guaranteed to make money. Unless you pay them for their idea.

Okay, so a few tips:

1) Find something that you're interested in. Something that you know a lot about. For example, my mothers ex-husband knows a lot about sports collectables (especially baseball cards). He has over 10,000 baseball cards and a good number of Yankee's collectables. If he were to start up his own business, he'd probably start-up a collectors shop (buy, sell and trade).

2) Whenever you say to yourself, "I wish someone made a product where you could (insert random idea)" or "I wish someone started a business where you could (insert idea)" - Write it down. Chances are that someone else has thought about it too.

Not Quite There

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Cheers for the responses

I'm not looking for the answer on a plate, just general ideas really, help brainstorming...

For instance if someone was selling the latest gadget, and wanted to sell a 1000 to someone in britian, i.e, needs a distributor, thats the kind of thing I am interested in.

thederekeffect1

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Not Quite There said:
For instance if someone was selling the latest gadget, and wanted to sell a 1000 to someone in britian, i.e, needs a distributor, thats the kind of thing I am interested in.
That's easy enough. There are plenty of companys that could use a distributor. Try a record company that is just getting it's feet off the ground. They're almost always looking for distributors.

flippinfreak

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
To become a distributor you have to offer a down payment, and have a credit history exceeding the number of 'gadgets' you want to sell...

There are old-timer collectibles you can also sell...

If I was going to become a distributor, I'd spend a few hours a day scouring yard sales, and then chill at flea markets and host your own yard sale once a week with mark-ups:p

The thing is, thievery is the hard knock...

How would you go about being a distibutor if I may ask?

Just so I'm sure your not going to dump a $5,000 dollar loan and end up with a room full of junk...

Not Quite There

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
flippinfreak said:
To become a distributor you have to offer a down payment, and have a credit history exceeding the number of 'gadgets' you want to sell...

There are old-timer collectibles you can also sell...

If I was going to become a distributor, I'd spend a few hours a day scouring yard sales, and then chill at flea markets and host your own yard sale once a week with mark-ups:p

The thing is, thievery is the hard knock...

How would you go about being a distibutor if I may ask?

Just so I'm sure your not going to dump a $5,000 dollar loan and end up with a room full of junk...

I guess i will save up as much as I can, scour around for some stuff I reckon may sell, and get a small amount as a trial. Then try and sell it to as many people as possible....

I know that requires a lot more thought, but this is really just the ideas stage.

Whatever I do, right now I am going to start saving as much as I can for future possibilities.

STR8UP

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ebay is the way to go if you are looking to be self employed but not necessarily looking to build a business empire. It might not be where I would want to end up, but it's a great place to get your feet wet.

gimmeyofonenumba

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Go to school and learn something. Getting ideas from this board...cmon what are you thinking?

LowPlainsDrifter

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
gimmeyofonenumba said:
Go to school and learn something. Getting ideas from this board...cmon what are you thinking?
Actually it's not a bad thought at all. From what I've read we do have some truly successful entrepreneurs on this board, so why not solicit their advice?

Throughout my life, I've gotten some good advice, and interesting ideas to follow up on from people one wouldn't normally expect to have anything worthwhile to offer.

You never know where something may lead. For example, a single cold call I left on an accountant's voicemail (I was doing some B to B telemarketing), led me to one of their clients, who a few years later hooked me up with a very lucrative consulting contract.

Listen and be open to everything around you.

Not Quite There

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
gimmeyofonenumba said:
I've been to school, have a ba (hons) and a Msc degree, and am now working in that field trying to learn as much as possible and pass my professional qualifications. When I am qualified, I will then hopefully have a lot more opportunities.

However, in the meantime, I would like to supplement my income somehow.

A lot of people running their own businesses don't really have many qualifications, its their own entrepreneurship that makes them.