Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

SKINNY GUYS: what's YOUR plan to bulk up (and look great)???

stayfly

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm keen to hear the plans from skinny guys on here that are trying to bulk up a and sculpt an awesome body. Please share your plan details and any extra comments in this thread. Hopefully we can all help and support each other to achieve some excellent results.

as for me, I'm planning to start slow by doing something similar to Scooby's Beginner Workout as found here;

http://scoobysworkshop.com/schedbeginning.htm

basically working out 3 times a week doing pushups, crunches and pullups. Then in three months from now I'll reassess and take things to the next level.

I also plan on increasing my food intake slightly every two weeks and basically eating as clean and as healthy as possible. I'm aiming for 6 meals a day, 6 days a week with one free day.

SKINNY PEOPLE UNITE! what's YOUR plan? Please share it here

Last edited:

CaptainJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
lol... you'll never bulk up on that bodyweight program. Plus it doesn't even have squats in it. Also cardio? That'll only curb your bulking progress. My friend, if you want to go bulk hardcore, then you need to go hardcore. Squats, deadlifts, bench press, over head press and power cleans are what you need. You also need to shove vast quantities of food in your mouth, it does not really matter whether its healthy or not, as long as it's alot.

Do you have access to a barbell and power cage? Because without those you can't get big unless you get really creative (I'm talking huge ass tire creative).

Get on a program like Rippetoe's strength program which has you squatting 3x a week.

In a year I've gained 3 stone whilst on stronglifts 5x5 and rippetoes, just remember to drink ****loads of milk too.

I-tallionStallion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Skinny Guys, for a little extra help coming up with somethign check the 'Where to Start' and 'Simple Starting Diet' links in the Vault. Do workout B.

As for eating and not caring about what it is your shoving down your mouth as CaptainJ suggests, this should only be done if you are extremely skinny and or have a really hard time gaining weight after trying a healthy bulking diet. Dirty bulking is a last resort.

Last edited:

kingsam

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
please dont do the "start off gentle then later on do harder stuff "...you'll never get anywhere

start off hard (as captainj said), and join a f-ing gym, you cant get motivated at home and there are too many distractions, the gym is a motivational environment

Cure

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
like the others have said.

Get access to a barbell and power rack,
Eat big,
Lift big,
Become big.

Push ups wont cut it.

EDIT-
LoL, I just had a quick read of your link

"Remember that adding muscle takes years, the most you can expect to add in a year is 5-10lbs"

My 15- 20lb of muscle in nine months dissagrees, and my results are fairly typical.
This man doesnt know what he's talking about.

Cure.

stayfly

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
thanks for the helpful replies guys

I probably should have mentioned that I have some significant postural issues that I'm trying to get handled at the moment and until then I've been told by my doctor and personal trainer friend to stick with bodyweight exercises only for now. I am hoping to lift big and eat big eventually though (hopefully in three months from now).

CaptainJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
stayfly said:
thanks for the helpful replies guys

I probably should have mentioned that I have some significant postural issues that I'm trying to get handled at the moment and until then I've been told by my doctor and personal trainer friend to stick with bodyweight exercises only for now. I am hoping to lift big and eat big eventually though (hopefully in three months from now).
What kind of postural issues? I would get a second opinion, because alot of doctors have unsolicited beef with weightlifting and are quick to say stop doing it. So ask another doctor and see if they corroborate. Also take whatever your personal trainer says with a pinch of salt, the vast majority of them are useless and have no clue what they are doing. You shouldn't bother with them as they are just a waste of money, especially if they aren't telling you to do squats.

Drum&Bass

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I specialize in posture issues. Your main goal will be the strengthening of your upper back, erector, hips, glutes and hamstrings (you will also have to develop flexibity since a majority of al of my clients who have posture issues also have flexibility issies as well). You will need to rely heavily on machines for awhile until your ready to start transition exercises. Stick with bodyweight !!!! DO NOT ATTEMPT to start barbell training yet.

Drum&Bass

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thats right stayfly ! Your doctor and PT friend who actually see you in person and have a good idea of your condition better than any of us...made a mistake when they told you to TEMPORARILY do bodyweight exercises. It would be a whole lot smarter to go hard and heavy because you WILL become a giant mass monster within the next 2 weeks of doing so. 3 months is way to long to take the time to develop correct posture and learn things the right way !!

it seems form and technique dont really matter to guys on this forum..especially a rounded back when squatting or deadlifting...because lifting heavier weight with technical flaws and muscular imbalances combined with a lot of food will fix your problems and keep you safe from injury.

...good luck !! (because luck makes it all better)

Last edited:

I-tallionStallion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Drum&Bass said:
Your main goal will be the strengthening of your upper back, erector, hips, glutes and hamstrings (you will also have to develop flexibity since a majority of al of my clients who have posture issues also have flexibility issies as well). You will need to rely heavily on machines for awhile until your ready to start transition exercises. Stick with bodyweight !!!! DO NOT ATTEMPT to start barbell training yet.
Follow this opinion and your doctors. I didn't know you had issues with your posture.

Well anyways this post was about what's skinny guys plans, not big guys plans for skinny guys hahaha that includes myself and a good lot of you. I have to learn to read the post titles a little better.

Don Wha

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm trying to bulk up as well. Just started up on a new work out regimen. It's pretty simple. Exercise 1. chest + shoulder, Exercise 2. arms + back and Exercise 3. legs, each once a week. I was told to use heavy weights that only allow me to do 6-8 reps per set and do about 4-5 sets each session.

Before when I was trying to bulk up, I would just focus on my chest and arms. This was bad because 1. after a few weeks I hit a plateau without knowing and my progress stopped and 2. I didn't implement any other body areas in my workout especially squats.

Throughout high school and college, my weight always stuck around 115-120 and I'm 5'7". Ever since implementing squats(3 weeks), I'm up to 130, which is still skinny but it's improving.

I need to be eating more too. I can only fit in 3-4 meals a days. I need to somehow manage to squeeze in 6.

PhunGar

Don Juan
Reaction score
i read diesels way to bulk up
his diet section really helped , withtout a solid diet you will not get anywhere or atleast anywhere fast.

JDiddy

Don Juan
Reaction score
Be careful with GOMAD and Starting Strength, for me it was so effective i had stretchmarks running down my hamstrings

CaptainJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
JDiddy said:
Be careful with GOMAD and Starting Strength, for me it was so effective i had stretchmarks running down my hamstrings
^^ I still have stretch marks on my ass. I think of them as hard earned battle scars. Shame they are fading.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
CaptainJ said:
^^ I still have stretch marks on my ass. I think of them as hard earned battle scars.
+1

Got them on my arms too, and I feel the same way about them and also the scars on my stomach from my hernia surgery :up:

PhunGar

Don Juan
Reaction score
that plan doesnt' look very effective
my bulk plan
hit the gym 4 times a week
increase weight every week
Eat like crazy..

pretty much it
also sleep alot been working so far dont' see a reason to stop

BringTheNoise

Reaction score
I am a pretty skinny guy. I have been working out for a while and have made decent progress but not what I wanted. I have recently started the squat and milk program and am a little over a week in. Its pretty tough but it might work for you. Make sure you have good form on the squats though or you will hurt yourself.

Don Wha

Don Juan
Reaction score
It's been about 4 months since I've been working out (had a couple of off weeks). Went from 125 to 140lbs.

Just started up on the 5x5 program. Still looking to gain at least another 15 lbs by the end of the year.

Keep it up and keep goin at it skinny guys!