skinny guy journal

gav

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
sept 2003 - 133lbs
jan 2004 - 140lbs (started bulking)
may 2004 - 147lbs (serious bulking with supplements)

I haven't actually been eating all that much, beyond my postworkout supplements so i'm amazed to get any results.

In addition, i've completely missed out my legs, only training them about once a month, which is retarded.

However, i'm now fully committed to bulk right up during the summer. i'm eating more peanuts, milk, peanut butter and pasta than ever before and i've still got my 6pack:confused:

Goal: 160lbs by September 2004

Anyone else with similar bulking goals, post em here; i'd like some competition

FlyGuy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
OK you've got yourself some friendly competition :cool: I'm doing the skinnyguy program, currently on the fat loss routine until my bodyfat drops below 10% at which point I'll switch to the mass gain routine. I'll even share before/after pics.

Short term goal: decrease bodyfat% to less than 10% by week 8
Long term goal: 170lbs @ 7% bodyfat by September

Starting stats (4/4/2004):
Age - 26
Height - 5'9"
Weight - 148
Percent fat - 22.25%
Pounds of fat - 33
Pounds of muscle - 115

Current stats (week 6 of fatloss phase):
Weight: 144
Percent fat: 13%
Pounds of fat: 18.63
Pounds of muscle: 125.37

Total muscle gained: 10.3lbs
Total fat lost: 14.31lbs

The_Mole

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
hmmm, i thought i was skinny too

u been working out for 1 year and ur 147?

thats what i am now without working out :p

are ur a full grown 26 year old man at 148?!

sorry for the flame

FlyGuy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
are ur a full grown 26 year old man at 148?!
No, I'm a half grown man :rolleyes:

How do you figure I've been working out for a year? I started up 6 weeks ago on a fat loss routine. You need to work your brain muscles a bit more! Sorry for the flame :p

Actually I've been at 150lbs since I was about 16, even without working out. I'm a hardgainer and so far have not been able to gain any serious weight. That's why I got on the skinnyguy program, and if I do say so myself I've been getting good results so far (10lbs in 6 weeks isn't that bad! especially on a low calorie diet w/cardio)

This guy was the same age as me and the same height when he started but he only weighed 135! Now look at him:

www.musclegaintips.com/

MarkHenry

Don Juan
Reaction score
I might as well join in as well since Im about to start trying to bulk up this summer. Im using the skinnyguy.net thing as well since Ive never really lifted or bulked before.

Starting stats (5/22/2004):
Age - 21
Height - 5'10"
Weight - 125
Percent fat - 11 or 12%??
Pounds of fat - 12
Pounds of muscle - 113

I cant start till probaly the second week in June since Im moving right now but I hope to get up to at least 140 by the beginning of September and 160 by end of the year.

Good luck to you guys.

gav

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
damn, i might actually have a high fat percentage.

flyguy, how do you work out your body fat percentage?

i don't get it, because if it's just by pinching your skin, then won't stretchy skin fvck up the results?

FlyGuy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I check my bodyfat percentage using the accu-measure calipers that came with the skinnyguy program. You take 9 different measurements (stomach, lower back, upper back, tricep, etc.) to get your results, which gives you higher accuracy. Do a search on google for accu-measure if you want to get a pair for yourself. There are a whole slew of different bodyfat measuring devices out there. As far as I know calipers are the most reliable way of measuring bodyfat other than to get it done professionally by a doctor. It takes a bit of practice but once you get it down its easy.

gav

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i was pretty surprised to stand on the scales today and see that i am at 148lbs now, even though i've hardly been eating cuz of these exams

have any of you guys heard of a complete core stretching exercise? my personal trainer showed me it. you lie down on your back, put a weight on top of your feet and hold a weight in your hands. bring your knees up to parallel with the ground and put your hands on your stomach (with the weight in them). then stretch your arms behind you and stretch your feet out in front of you without dropping the weight and without your legs or feet touching the floor. then you should vary it by moving your arms out to the sides and also 45 degrees behind you.

similar to this http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/RectusAbdominis/WtJackKnifeSitUp.html
except with the additional arm movements and without bringing your head up

the guy told me that this is very good exercise for your entire body. i think the advantages are probably along the lines of greater growth, but i've found that it works your abs very well - it stretches them out instead of crunching them in

gav

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i'm back down to 146. felt crushing today when i stood on the scales. i'm hoping that it was because i had an empty stomach at that point, which can take a lot of weight off i'm told.

i don't get it though, because i look more muscly than ever looking in the mirror

i don't have clue about my bf% still, but i think it's very low. my doc told me today the only reason for my stretchy skin was not because of fat, but because it's well hydrated, which means my skin must be very frickin hydrated.

hows everyone else getting on? let me hear some nice gains

tristan22

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
January 2003:

6ft 165lbs

I was stuck at this weight for a long time. I have IBS, so i believed it was impossible to gain mass. I changed my diet and started doing leg exercises......and.......BAM!

June 2004:

6ft. 195-197lbs around 8-9% bf (my arms still look inadequate considering the amount of mass i've put on. This goes to show you just how important good genetics are in achieving awesome sculpted arms............mine obviously aren't too good). I have a long frame BTW.

I didn't start gaining until i developed a lower body routine. People underestimate the importance of training your legs.

Later

semag

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
People underestimate the importance of training your legs.
Damn straight.

Have those "upper body only" people go do a 5 x 5 workout on squats and tell you that their chest workout is "hard."

Lifeforce

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Starting stats march 2004
Age - 19
Height - 5'8"
Weight - 134 lbs
Percent fat - around 10%
Pounds of fat - 13 lbs
Pounds of muscle - 121 lbs

Goal: 165 pounds

Current Stats:
Week of training cycle: 3rd
Age - 19
Height - 5'8"
Weight - 154 lbs
Percent fat - around 10%
Pounds of fat - 15 lbs
Pounds of muscle - 139 lbs

Muscle gained: Around 18 pounds
Fat gained: 2 lbs, maybe a bit more

First Goal: 165 pounds by end of september less than 10% body fat.

I have been using the free stuff from skinnyguy.net since the order ****ed up with my credit card. Also diesels guide to bulking which is great. Just recently bought Arnolds encyclopedia of modern body building and it has some great info in it.

gav

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
nice one lifeforce. that's a big gain.

what are your lifting stats? have they improved much?

mine are pretty crap at the moment since i'm using a barbell at home and i've maxed out the weight on it. (about 25kg i think, lol)

so i'm not getting big weight gains, but i'm certainly getting the muscle definition i want for the summer.

Lifeforce

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks gav. You're acomplishment is quite a thing too. What are your plans now when the weights are beginning to be too light? How's your stats?

I'm lifting at a gym, my muscle gain seems to be concentrated to the legs and the back and now my pectorals seem to be growing :D That's good because they are weak while my legs are so strong my forearms doesn't stand the pressure in the deadlifts. I'm thinking of expanding my training, I'm still learning you know, do you know of any good exercises for the lats?

Starting stats:

Arms&Chest:
Military Press 20 Kg 44 Lbs
Arnold Press - did not do
Bench 32.5 Kg 71.5 Lbs
Biceps Barbel Curl 20 Kg 44 Lbs
French Curl 15 Kg 32 Lbs
Shrugs - Did not do
Wrist Curl - did not do

Legs and Back

Squat 35 Kg 80 Lbs
Deadlift 50 Kg 110 Lbs
Straight-leg and straight-back deadlift - did not do
Standing Calves Raise - did not do

Current stats:

Arms&Chest:
Military Press 30 Kg 66 Lbs
Arnold Press 11 Kg 24 lbs (per dumbel)
Bench 42.5 Kg 93.5 Lbs
Biceps Barbel Curl 25 Kg 55 Lbs
French Curl 20 Kg 44 Lbs
Shrugs 42 Kg 92 Lbs
Wrist Curl 20 Kg 45 Lbs

Legs and Back

Squat 75 Kg 165 Lbs
Deadlift 80 Kg 176 Lbs
Straight-leg and straight-back deadlift 65 Kg 143 Lbs
Standing Calves Raise 75 Kg 165 Lbs

gav

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
those weights are impressive lifeforce. is that for 1rep or more?

i'm 154lbs today and i'm pretty damn chuffed cuz i look good in the mirror. still only 4abs showing, but they look really good. whoever said that a 4pack looks worse than nothing at all can stick a barbell up his ass and skew it to the left

my parents are killing me at the moment. everyday it's like "you're going to hurt yourself with that stuff. you're fine the way you are. i don't think you should be lusting over rabbits"

yeh, so i'm getting pretty pissed off cuz they don't understand a little thing called self improvement.

just now i'm eating, on average, 200g of protein and 400g of carbs. that's fairly decent

i've been sick twice in the last three days, which is not good. i'm eating very healthful food and drinking plenty of water and so when i'm sick it makes me mad :mad:
i've learned a lesson though. space meals out at least 2hours apart, otherwise you'll be sick.

Lifeforce

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks man, those weights are for 4-8 reps. Have only done 1 set of 1 rep and that was with deadlift, landed on 210 lbs. :)

My parents are exactly the same, they think my whey is steroids and I shouldn't train so hard. But of course we will lust over all those young and gorgeus women and blaze through the sand on the beaches with ribbling pectorals, poweful six packs and trunks for legs. I mean, we all train just because we want to feel more healthy when we grow old. :rolleyes:

Congrats on punching past the 150 lbs line again. First to 160 lbs wins? I'm down to 152 lbs, seems like a fair challenge and gives us both motivation to stay on peak perfomance!

Get well

CaliforniaKing

Don Juan
Reaction score
It's good to see some other (skinny) people doing a summer bulk just like myself. Here are my stats.
started at 148lbs the very end of May. My previous bulk I was up to 155lbs, but I lost that weight after i stopped lifting during this semester, but it was mostly all the fat I added during my last bulk. (Last summer and winter break I added 25 lbs..beginners gain real well!)

START
Height - 6'1'' Weight 148 Bf:10% not accurate, but pretty close.

My strengths is my whole back, especially my traps. My chest is pretty pitiful as I just got a weight bench, and only had dumbells and wooden bench during my first bulk

These were my starting lifts, during my last bulk I had bigger lifts, but I stopped lifting for a whole semester, so they dropped, but b/c of muscle memory I've finnally reached what I could lift during my last bulk and then some rather quickly.

STARTING LIFTS - I'm currently aiming for 6-8 reps, but sometimes it ends up being 4-8! My Routine drastically changed over time as you will see.. my starting routine sucked..

Chest/Triceps
Sets x Weight (LBS)
Flat Barbell Bench 3 x 105
Skullcrushers 3 x 32.5

My chest was so weak when I started I could only do 3 sets ha.

Back/Biceps
Deadlifts 3 x 185
Seated Preacher Curls - 3 x 50
Dumbell Curls 3 x 12.5

Legs/Shoulders
Squats 3 x 120
Leg Extensions 3 x 85
Avoided doing shoulders because of injury, just been doing light exercises.

***CURRENT LIFTS*******
Chest/Triceps
Sets x Weight
Incline Barbell Bench 3 x 95
Flat Barbell Bench 3 x 125
Decline Barbell Bench 3 x 125
Skullcrushers 3 x 42.5

Back/Biceps
Deadlifts 3 x 215
Seated Preacher Curls - 3 x 60
Dumbell Curls 2 x 17.5
Hammer Curls 2 x 17.5

Legs/Shoulders
Squats 3 x 135 ... really working on form.
Leg Extensions 3 x 115
Gonna start workin shoulders after June15th..

June 15th soon.. halfway mark of the summer, time to step it up!!
I haven't weighed myself in well over a week, and then I currently weighed 157lbs. My modest goal for the whole summer is 165lbs, but it'd be great to reach 170lbs, I am on pace for 170!

semag

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
when you're giving skullcrusher weights, is that total + bar? or each side? I'd imagine the former right? w/ a 15 lb EZ bar?

gav

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i'm still hovering around 154lbs because i haven't been eating as i should. it's all very healthy stuff, just i'm not getting enough of it

example of absolute laziness (i've been starving most of the day)

1. 1/2 cup oatmeal 400ml milk 500ml water
2. 2slices bacon 1 slice french toast
3. 1 apple, 2 big bananas, 500ml water
4. Steak, mince and potatoes 200ml milk
5. 2slices bacon, 1 slice french toast 200ml milk 500ml water
6. 1/2 cup oatmeal 400ml milk 500ml water
7 (probably coming in at 1oclock tonight)

current pic: 08/01/04

what do you think?

in the next few weeks i'm going to start taking it all very seriously again (noting down everything i'm eating) and i'm going to buy some more whey protein