Should we be making all the effort?

ManUnited01

Don Juan
Reaction score
Should guys be the ones always making plans, asking girls out, calling/texting first in a relationship? I feel actions need to be reciprocated by women also. Your thoughts?

Friendly Otter

Don Juan
Reaction score
Better get used to it!

Men are the ones courting women, because women instinctively want to see if a guy will work hard for her before she lets him impregnate her. If he is willing to make an effort and spend time and energy on her, he is more likely to stick around and care for her and her offspring.

So a woman doesn't want to give away the sex too easily. That's why there is romance, with flowers and chocolate and poetry in the moonlight or restaurant or the movies or ice skating or what have you; the woman is raising the cost of sex.

Now you may think men would be fed up with this, but men have an instinct to overcome obstacles; you know how fun it is to blast away the enemy in computer games, something few women find the same joy in. We want to overcome and conquer. So we can find some joy in the whole courting thing, aiming for the big prize. (As long as you get it often enough, that is!)

So it's gonna be a cold day in hell before the pattern changes and women start courting men in any large numbers....

However, don't worry: when you're both married, she is the one who will have to get things for you - like a beer from the fridge while there's a game on. Imagine many years of her faithful service, and the courting seems a small price to pay. :)

ManUnited01

Don Juan
Reaction score
haha ah well...i just thought that maybe waiting for her to make an effort would show her true interest level. Plus you come across as a Challenge. But i understand your point totally, thanks for that.

Stig

Reaction score
ManUnited01 said:
haha ah well...i just thought that maybe waiting for her to make an effort would show her true interest level.
You're thinking about it like a guy. Women do show interest, but not in the same ways guys do. It's the man's job to pick up on those IOIs and follow through.

Nobody said life was fair. It is what it is.

flexion_

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yes. And if you think otherwise then should take a look at yourself as to why you don't want to do this sort of stuff.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ManUnited01 said:
Should guys be the ones always making plans, asking girls out, calling/texting first in a relationship? I feel actions need to be reciprocated by women also. Your thoughts?
Guys who need that level of control love making all of the decisions. Women who like "old fashioned guys" love not having to do anything but "be a girl."

Give me a woman who enjoys entertaining as much as being entertianed. Someone who will put forth an effort is usually much more appreciated than someone who's just along for the ride.