Should I try to make people like me?

r0cky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
All my life I've been one of those people who assumed, until proven otherwise, that others didn't like me.
It was an unconscious assumption, one that I only recently realized.
I assumed people didn't like talking to me unless they showed me that they did, and this had a number of bad effects on my social life and game in general:
- I didn't want to reopen sets. I believed that if they liked me then THEY would reopen me, and if they didn't reopen me that meant they didn't like me, so I would avoid reopening like the plague. Even if the interection had not been bad.
- I would eject too quickly from high value sets. My belief that others didn't like me was so strong that when "high value" people accepted me, I would leave the set.
- I would not push, and i wouldn't escalate, unless I got IOI's. Because I wasn't getting the signals to prove that they liked me.

So I ask myself, what if instead of assuming that others dislike me until proven otherwise, I assumed that everybody likes me until they prove me otherwise?

Well this is easier said than done. I can assume people like me all I want. BUT what happens when I encounter those situations where I feel unliked the most? Those times when everybody seems to belong to a clique and don't include me? Or those times when I'm simply ignored, not because I'm not liked, but because I'm not including myself in their conversation? Those are the times where my assumption that I'm not liked comes full force.

Key 1: People will always like someone who geniunely likes them.

This is a very well known principle in social dynamics. When someone shows you they like you (not necessarily in the romantic sense), generally, you will have no reason to dislike them.

So they key to assume that everyone will like me is if I try to find some quality about them that I can like, and the more genuinely I can like them, the more strongly I can assume that they like me. But how can i try to like someone who doesn't seem to be interested in talking to me at first? How can I introduce myself and be friendly to someone who seems to be "higher value" than me?". Those who seem to be bothered by having yet another stranger approach them.

Key 2: Caring what others think about you will stop you from accomplishing all your goals.

The key to getting yourself to be the man you want to be, one who is friendly to all because he assumes that everybody will like them, is by not caring what others' perceptions are about you. Repeat this in your mind over and over. Try recalling those times (the more recent the better) where you cared about what the other person thought about you whether GOOD or BAD. Think about those scenarios you will encounter today or this week, where you find your self imagining what others will think or how others will react. Those thoughts where you care about how others have or are or will perceive you, stop them in their tracks and think "I don't care", and move to the next thought.
This is how the evolution of yourself begins, with fixing the most fundamental part of yourself, your mind.

Next time you want to interact someone who you havent come to like yet, think "I dont care what they think about me", and then go up tothem. It will be a conscious effort at first, but with time, it will become an unconscious part of you.

Serg897

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'd be curious to see some responses to this.

I know for a fact that certain people within my department dont like me. I hold unconventional opinions about certain things and I dont apologize for them. I dont always follow social norms and Im not a diplomatic person, nor do I go out of my way to appease everyone.

Its like backbreakers "Its alone at the top" thread. Sometimes I wonder how much I should care.

Chamber36

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
people "not liking" you is just one big sh!t-test.

TheMale

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
totally true !

and that's good you acknowledged and changed that !

may i say, keep up the great work ?! ;)

Zerro

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
r0cky said:
Key 1: People will always like someone who geniunely likes them.

This is a very well known principle in social dynamics. When someone shows you they like you (not necessarily in the romantic sense), generally, you will have no reason to dislike them.
I've gotten tired of being nice to people who just never seem to give a **** about me so I only bother remaining nice to those who actually do return it. On the flip side there are some people whom I can't stand but won't leave me alone as they don't seem to get the message.

PrettyBoyAJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Back in the day I used to be nice and tryed to please everybody around me. What did that lead to? People walking all over me, people picking you and people not respecting you. When I changed my attitude up and said fk pleasing everybody else I'm gonna do me.... Then everything changed for the better.

In plain terms people will walk all over you if you go out of your way to be nice to them.

----

But anyway great post. People need to have the "I Don't Give a F*CK" attitude. Life would be way more simpler and you wouldn't need this site either.

danthemann

Don Juan
Reaction score
pretty sure that just summed me up. and everything you said, im gunna start trying. getting tired of having a pessimist attitude towards people. It could come from old friends who have screwed me over pretty bad, not by using me but just by doing ****ed up ****. Or from me being naturally introverted. Either way I pretty much dont put effort into people who dont put effort into me.
But I guess i never thought of trying to be friends with everyone even if they didnt like me. the one big **** test comment really put this thread into perspective. so what if they dont like you, you should show them your a cool person anyway and if they dont like you, somethings wrong with them.

btw was cool how you wrote that up.

LostAndConfused

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
(introvert as well)

most people suck though. why waste your precious time and energy lowering yourself to communicate with such plebians? find a quality group of like-minded friends and the rest will fall into place. Your friends are a secure base from which you can depart (alone, or with them, if you're so inclined) to frolick in the panties of scores of women. The thing you need to realize is that *everyone* is trying to take advantage of *everyone else* in this world. Those people provide no utility to you, why invest?

And if those other idiots start hating you for being "above them," ignore dem, you're just doing it right. It may just help increase your value even more with girls ;)

cola

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
PrettyBoyAJ said:
Back in the day I used to be nice and tryed to please everybody around me. What did that lead to? People walking all over me, people picking you and people not respecting you. When I changed my attitude up and said fk pleasing everybody else I'm gonna do me.... Then everything changed for the better.

In plain terms people will walk all over you if you go out of your way to be nice to them.

----

But anyway great post. People need to have the "I Don't Give a F*CK" attitude. Life would be way more simpler and you wouldn't need this site either.
This. You really shouldn't give a crap. If they like you cool, if not oh well, life goes on. Not caring is really the way to go..

Mike32ct

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Eastern Time Zone where it's always really late
Zerro said:
I've gotten tired of being nice to people who just never seem to give a **** about me so I only bother remaining nice to those who actually do return it. On the flip side there are some people whom I can't stand but won't leave me alone as they don't seem to get the message.
Yeah some people will never appreciate you no matter how nice you are to them. You need to move on from them.

I respect the "take it like a sh@t test" angle, but it gets tiring after a while to keep "plowing" and "soldiering on" with people that really don't like you at worst or are indifferent to you at best. I mean it's ok for while, and it gets you laid, fine. But eventually, at some point, you have to move on to new people that are more receptive to you.

r0cky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think many of you are missing my point.
It is not about making people like you. Its about YOU liking them, without caring how they perceive you. Of course, you only do this until they tell you to f*ck off in some way.But the key is to assume that they will like you instead of assuming that they won't. And the best way to do this is by not caring what they think about you.If you do this, and they still don't like you, who's in the wrong?

When you're giving them value and they don't appreciate it, you accept it and move on. No need to hate them, and most important, no need to hate yourself. And no, I don't advocate plowing with people that clearly don't want to be bothered. Most of the time, they are in a bad mood at that precise moment and would be more receptive at another time.

To those stuck in the "people suck" mindset, and those who have been hurt in their lifes by others so they are always "on the defensive" around people. You must realize that you're stuck in a negative mindset. Negativty is a sign of fear, and you must overcome this if you ever want to be an alpha male. So fix this by assuming positivity. Look for something in the other that you like or that is positive. Focus on that rather than on their negative qualities.

ilikecharlene

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I personally couldn't give a poo who likes me or not. Nobody has to, nor I like others.

That said, I think as life is reciprocal people like others who are nice to them. be a bastard, and you get bastardry back:rock: