Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Should I move to USA?

Huffman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm a software engineer at a tech startup, and we've been bought by a pretty big corporation. Now I actually have the option to move office to either Waltham/Boston or San Diego. Career wise, I might be able to become Technical Director in a team that will massively expand in the next couple of years.

Should I? I'd get a US contract, my salary will be higher (probably not 6 figures immediately, but very soon), but I've visited our US offices and everybody is working 10 hours, 12 hours, hell. Plus like 2 hours of commuting. Not alot of paid vacation either, so my "hourly rate" actually wouldn't increase that much. In a couple of years, though, I could have a management position. But that means even more work, right? Right now I work 8 hours a day and that's it. 30 days of paid vacation. Plus, I have zero debt, and I can live very comfortably on my German salary.

I really love my free time. I can go to work, then go practice the drums, then go to the gym and then go on a date on the same day. Working my ass off will just destroy my lifestyle... but still. I guess it would really advance my career, right? I love how professional and motivated ppl at our US offices are. Plus they really seem to do everything to keep you happy (whereas in Germany you don't even get free lunches).

Do you think it would be smart to move to US, probably San Diego office, for a couple of years? I lean towards no, but still guys. I have the gut feeling that I'm missing a huge opportunity here...

What's a software engineer's day like in the US. Are you guys really slaves to your debt, family and child support? Looking for some honest answers and experiences here.

Huffman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
...or should I get a French contract? They have bloody 45 days of paid vacation, and 2 hours lunch break. LOL

Tictac

Banned
Reaction score
I am very good friends with a number of expats in the U.S. It's an adjustment to be sure.

Work habits, pace of life, taxes, health care, education and a whole lot of other things are far different here than most places.

The funny thing is many (if not most) I know, decide to become U.S. Citizens after a couple of years.

I would definitely take a 'test drive' and make sure you negotiate a very good expat package if you do this.

The_flying_dutchman

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
America in the past = The Greatest Nation on Earth

America today = Gulag...

logicallefty

Reaction score
I've been in the midwest USA my whole life, between Illinois and Wisconsin. I think we have it pretty darn good in this part of the country overall. Unemployment numbers may disagree but in my area anyone who wants to work is working. Those who aren't working aren't applying enough. Our weather is somewhat bi-polar as you can have snow in May or tornados in December, but its still relatively good. I live in the sticks in the middle of some woods where they tore down some trees and built houses. I am 30-40 minutes from two different cities of 100,000 plus people that have 98% of what I could ever need (big stores, movies, parks, shooting ranges, ice rinks, clubs, college hoops, minor league hockey, minor league baseball, anything you fancy). If I need that last 2% and a big city fix I can drive 2.5 hours to Chicago which is America's third largest city behind New York and Los Angeles. Our women, yeah, most are nutz but keep your expectations low and you won't be disappointed. There are still a few good ones who haven't been diseased by the modern day b|tch syndrome. I have visited most other parts of the USA and most are great to visit but I love coming back home more than anything.

Huffman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ruler said:
Will your current salary be able to support a family, or anyone else?
Easily, if she's not completely broke & lazy. I'm really just thinking about the career thing... but I guess I'll decline cos my options here are pretty good as it stands. I could have an IT manager career here as well but I'm not into hamster wheels.

Oh well. I'm really good at what I do and I'm still working closely with the guys from the US office... so I guess I could also make a move in a couple of years (if I ever get bored of my job here).

I've lived all over the world for a couple of years, so I'm not too keen on an "adventure" which actually has me sitting in the office all day.
Either way, thanks for the answers. Still hoping some actual IT guys would chime in though!

BetterCallSaul

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't believe Germany allows for any sort of dual citizenship so if you decide to do this, you need to be certain of your course of action.

With that said, I fall into the same camp as you in that I absolutely despise working the bulls#it 50-60 work weeks that a lot of people in the U.S. these days somehow consider "normal". It isn't. People working that many hours are usually a product of poor time management skills or poor management. I put in my 40 and I'm out, it's that simple. If some emergency happens and they need my help, I'll be there, but Suzy Secretary who forgets how to do something on Saturday is not a production outage issue.

With that said, a lot of people in the U.S. don't realize we're very much not the norm when it comes to leave away from work. Our stupid 2 weeks a year for new employees is utter BS. I'd rather have the mandatory 45 days or more like in France or any other european nation. So there is that. However comparitively speaking, over the long term you will pay more in taxes by staying in Europe...pretty much any European country.

I would not want to live in California at all. The scenery in many places is nice there but the politics in the state is complete garbage. They can't manage their money, they can't plan with any foresight an infrastructure to last beyond 10 years. The hot babe scene is nice, but with proper game you can handle that anywhere.

If you're serious about coming here, then come with your company but it sounds like you'd need to find something else afterward. Don't tie your future to this one company.