Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Shaving - Razor bumps/burn on neck

Phantasmal

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I've had this problem ever since I started shaving regularly. I can shave my face itself fine for the most part, but when I shave my neck, I tend to get bad razor burn. I use a Mach 3 Power razor. I've tried other razors, expensive shaving gels, shaving in the shower, using cold water afterwards, etc. Nothing works. Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks.

Dirtheart

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Do you apply moisturizer afterwards? It doesn't help immediately, but over time it does help to prevent razor burn/bumps.

Also, try holding a hot flannel over your neck for a while. Keep doing it until the stubble starts to feel softer, and then shave.

Porky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I get awful razor burn all over my face if I shave without putting on first aid cream afterwards. Just buy a little tube of white first cream from CVS or Target. I use Johnson and Johnson.

Omega

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Nivia
Aftershave for Men

My friend had this Gillete aftershave, and always got rashes, even when he used it. I let him try some of my aftershave, and he's never looked back.

Levex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Try using "Gilette Sensor Excel" it has 2 blades that shave as close as any 3 blade and almost no irritation.I tried mach 3 but had to stop cause o the reasons you mentioned.

diablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Moved to Health & Fitness...

I also had this problem. I tried using Neosporin, but it didn't make any difference. Then I used Bactroban, which is like Neosporin on steroids - this did the trick, but at $60 a tube, it was too pricey to keep up. Last trip I took to the dermatologist - less than a week ago - I told him about the problem, and he gave me a sample jar of BenzaClin - enough to last a full month. Within 4 days, my red bumps have gone away and I've got a completely clear neck to match my face.

Hope some of this helps - even if you don't have a dermatologist, most will give you a sample if you go into their office, tell them about your problem, and request it from their nurses.

Giovanni Casanova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'd move it if I could but Anything Else ain't my territory. You're just all over things today, though, aren't you Bishop?

Phantasmal

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'll definitely be trying all of these things, at least until I find something that works. The determatologist office will be the last resort.

Deadly_Assassin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
yea i have been using sensor excel and nivea aftershave. Had rashed a couple of times thats about it. Wat about schick 3d and that 4 blade one, any good?

Dirtheart

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Also, make sure you are shaving with the grain and slowly. Many shaving rashes, cuts and bumps can be prevented with a little patience.

Another common cause is applying too much pressure to the razor (which causes it to nick any raised bumps etc). Don't push the razor against your skin, let it glide.

ShortTimer

Banned
Reaction score
In my field of paper flowers and candy clouds of l
Originally posted by Dirtheart
Also, make sure you are shaving with the grain and slowly. Many shaving rashes, cuts and bumps can be prevented with a little patience.
I've tried this, but the problem I then run into is that it won't look like I've shaved at all. If I don't shave against the grain I may as well just not shave. I use a Mach 3 as well and have bad razor burn.

Any ideas about the "grain" issue?

Phantasmal

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by ShortTimer
I've tried this, but the problem I then run into is that it won't look like I've shaved at all. If I don't shave against the grain I may as well just not shave. I use a Mach 3 as well and have bad razor burn.

Any ideas about the "grain" issue?
I second this.

I had no idea shaving issues were so widespread. I thought I was a sensitive skinned freak or something.

So Many Ways

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
To the OP, are you black by chance?

I had the same razor bump problems, on the side of my face and on the neck and I got rid of it. I use this product called tendskin (www.tendskin.com) lotion and I buy it at a beauty supply shop. I also use neutrogena for men products, including the neutrogena face wash, face scrub, shaving cream and non-comedogenic (meaning doesn't clog the pores) lotion. I apply the tendskin after I shave and then I apply the lotion as tendskin tends to dry the skin out a little. I shave once every other day and I use gilette sensor excel.

After using this skin care regimen, my razor bumps have disappeared.

Phantasmal

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Nope, not black. I'm a fair skinned white guy with really sensitive skin apparently.

I'm usually able to shave my face fine. I just get two little patches of razor burn to the left and right of my Adam's Apple and just end up with a terrible neck shave in general. After reading the replies on this thread I picked up some Nivea Natural Cool Shave Gel and Nivea Natural Cool Aftershave Balm. I'm going get a Sensor Excel before my next shave, since that seems to be the razor to use for this problem.

Snatchmaster

Don Juan
Reaction score
HOW TO SHAVE

1. Wash face with warm water.
2. Apply hot washcloth to face.
3. Apply a warm shaving oil.
4. Apply warm shaving cream.
5. Shave with the grain.
6. Apply more cream.
7. Shave cross-grain.
8. Repeat as needed.

Shaving oil is available at your finer barber shops (the ones that do shaves. In fact, you might want to spend US$40 for a shave from a pro, so you'll know what to do at home.).

You can heat the oil and cream by letting them sit in the washbasin while doing steps 1 and 2.

Use the same hand for applying the oil and cream (I use the left). Don't rinse the hand, just rewet it with water from the razor and lather up your face before each stroke.

I used to get bad razor burn and couldn't use a triple-blade razor before I added the oil to my routine.

Now I have no five o'clock shadow.

KC_Seductive

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Levex
Try using "Gilette Sensor Excel" it has 2 blades that shave as close as any 3 blade and almost no irritation.I tried mach 3 but had to stop cause o the reasons you mentioned.
Totally agree.

Go with the Gilette Sensor Excel. It worked for me too.

Phantasmal

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I picked up a Sensor Excel yesterday and shaved with it this morning, along with using Nivea aftershave. I still have the razor burn as usual, but that's probably just because it hadn't fully healed yet. I'm gonna have to go unshaven for a while before I try again, which sucks.

diablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Have you tried Neosporin yet? Pick up a sampler tube for a buck - no way you can go wrong using it.