Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Shaking Hands good?

michaelhctam

Don Juan
Reaction score
I have a really awkward social habit of shaking hands with people even in a formal or informal situation, its so fvcking awkward!

I was just wondering if it was ok to shake hands with a girl when you greet her....its such a n00b quesiton.

Its usually like this;

me: *offers hand* hello! My name is Mike!
her: (sometimes receptive or kind of weird/grossed out) My name is h0r!

Its so awkward, what do you guys do?

Docs

Banned
Reaction score
HUG. A handshake is usually reserved for business, or man to man interaction. A hug is for a girl. If a girl won't accept a hug, then I hope you find another chick.

I hug chicks at instant, we got introduced or something, and I go and hug her. It's just a thing I have.

md3sign

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Docs said:
HUG. A handshake is usually reserved for business, or man to man interaction. A hug is for a girl. If a girl won't accept a hug, then I hope you find another chick.

I hug chicks at instant, we got introduced or something, and I go and hug her. It's just a thing I have.
That entirely depends on the situation. Sometimes when meeting a girl for the first time a handshake is appropriate. That's an art in and of itself though - it's not like giving a guy a handshake. It's a bit more gentle, but still firm, and you hold it for a split second longer than usual.

Really it depends on the situation. For example, if you're meeting a girl for the first time for a date, definitely hug always. If you're meeting a girl for the second time, hug always.

However if a girl you're with is introducing you to her girlfriends, a handshake is more appropriate sometimes, though you can still hug them (maybe on the way out).

Ultimately it doesn't matter much - just don't go hugging everybody, that's creepy.

Thomas94305

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
With a gal I've just met, I'll often touch her on the arm or forearm. But, no rules. If someone introduces us, I'll do both arm touching and handshake, the introduction adds formality. But, you want to quickly bring it back to personal by joking, etc.

Don't sweat it. Experiment with both. I don't see this as a deal breaker. You simply want to be very comfortable around women.

onyx

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
nothing wrong with shaking hands in my experience, a few of the hottest women i've hooked up with, have offered me their hand when I first met them.

Slim Ironwood

Don Juan
Reaction score
There really shouldn't be that much emphasis on this topic as the key is in delivery. Sometimes you meet a woman when she's sitting down, and in this scenario you'd offer your hand.

Unless the girl is really close (loud parties, clubs, concerts etc), or she initiates it, I always start with a handshake. I don't necessarily think a hug is bad, it's just not my style. I like to let her know I'm interested with no chance of her thinking I'm creepy.

If you confidently extend your hand, look in her eyes and smile calmly while holding her hand a bit longer than you would with a friend, then you've started off well. Don't break her hand but grip with a masculine firmness. As onyx, I've hooked up with girls after a handshake so if something doesn't go right, your problem lies elsewhere.

Jay Jay

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I shake girls hands when

a. they offer me their hand first

b. I have met her in the company of some guys I shook hands with.

Unlike with flirtatious kino I leave the inititive to greet and say good bye with some kind of physical contact up to the girl.

If you kino and she's at all interested you will always get a hug or a kiss goodbye and one when you see her again. By doing this you are making her put herself out there a bit for you. If she doesn't then she misses out on the pleasure of a hug and a kiss.

The only exception is those girls who don't kiss and hug anyone. Those girls that scare all the other boys need hugs the most.

jj

Charm

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have a no-hand shaking policy. If a girl tries to give me her hand, I'll say, "Give me your booty to shake instead" or "A hand shake? Does this look like a business meeting. Here, have a hug. "

Kev07

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bay Area, California, Currently in SoCal (UCR)
i do this very often

hold out 2 hands, one hand (your main hand, in my case, right hand) is in the offering handshake position, while other is what you would do if you were going to hug the person but not that obvious, keep your hand low. then when they go to shake your main hand, you say, whoa whoa, one hand means handshake, 2 means hug. then hug them.