Shakes and Timing

SinJester

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I may be overanalysing here but I am rather curious.

If whey is a fast acting protein and casein more slowly digested does that mean why should be used after workouts and casein for other times? Or if I'm having six meals a day is it a moot point how fast whey is digested? What about pre-workout, do I want high GI carbs and whey for that too? How about having a mix?

It might not matter as long as you getting enough protein but I am just trying to get things right this time. It's understandable when you realize that my past half-assed attempt to gain muscle involved having one whey shake a day as my main source of protein.

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Theoretically since casein is a slow release protein it's not the best thing to have after a workout and most people if they use it, they take it before bed with some EFAs. Take it before bed so your body is getting some protein all night when it needs it the most.

Personally I'd take a blend of the two, 2 parts isolate to 1 part casein in each shake. So you're getting the fast absorbing protein and a slow releasing one at the same time.

It's up to you though dude. Experiment with different ways of doing it for two weeks at a time and see if your performance in the gym changes. If it does, well you know what to do. If it doesn't, then do what you want with it and don't think too much about it.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
whey has several different absorption times depending on whether it's hydroslate, isolate or concentrate. whey concentrate is the slowest 'fast' protein but still won't maintain blood amino acid levels for more than an hour. casein keeps these elevated for several hours, I think 8hrs for 30g of casein.

but as you said, it's really a moot point since meat takes several hours to digest too. you're still digesting a pre workout steak or chicken breast for a few hours AFTER the workout as well. if you're regularly feeding yourself solid proteins (every 3 hrs or so) what kind of liquid protein you take doesn't really matter, it should only really be a 'between meals' thing to increase your daily protein/calorie intake.

the benefit of post workout protein powder is, in my opinion at least, the ease of digestion, not just the speed of it (which is also beneficial when using certain 'protein loading' protocols). but the main thing is a liquid meal doesn't take as many calories to digest and post workout this is a good thing as it should increase recovery rates instead of stressing the body in an already stressful situation. but this is all theory - in practice you can just grab a couple of burgers after a workout and see the same results, muscle and strength wise (perhaps not bodyfat wise lol). it's only at competitive levels where these details MIGHT matter.

pre workout high GI carbs might cause you to crash during the workout, but this will depend on you.

one piece of advice for you - don't try to 'get things right this time'. it is the worst thing a beginner can do. you will worry more about details which at your level do not matter.

simple protocol for you: have a protein shake after your workout then go home and eat a big meal. as you're trying to gain weight and bodyfat isn't an issue, have carbs in your pwo shake and pwo meal. or just have the burgers like I said :D just worry about getting the food in.

SinJester

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Cheers. Now I've got that I'll just think "lift, eat. lift, eat." Too much over analyzing and not enough experience what exactly what I did with the whole DJ thing. That being said now it seems natural. Still I think a certain level of information is good. My mate was doing situps to turn his large gut into a six pack and bicep curls everyday to get huge until I told him he was wasting his time. That's exactly what I would have done if wasn't for here. Although in my case I would be eating 500 calories a day and wondering why I'm not gaining when I'm 'eating a lot'. Oh wait, already done that :D

Lust

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
SinJester said:
Cheers. Now I've got that I'll just think "lift, eat. lift, eat."
Correction. Lift, eat, sleep.

It's important to get your 8 hours of sleep, I remember that was one thing I had major trouble with when I was trying to bulk.

kickureface

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Lust said:

It's important to get your 8 hours of sleep, I remember that was one thing I had major trouble with when I was trying to bulk.
did it make u fat or did it make u not gain weight

Mavrick

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Lust said:

Yea, why does less than 8 hours affect your bulk?

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Mavrick said:
Yea, why does less than 8 hours affect your bulk?
because it's when hormone production/output peaks, sleep is the most anabolic time of the day (it's not catabolic as magazines would have you believe lololol). 8hrs of deep sleep or thereabouts is the time it takes for optimal output. not saying that you won't gain if you only sleep 7hrs and there are exceptions to every rule, but in general most people will find their gains slowed down if they're only getting a few hours sleep every night.