Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Scarcity

Cheeks

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
“There are over (insert ungodly number here) women on the planet.”

In the Manosphere, the above is the default response for anybody suffering through oneitis, scarcity, a dry spell, or just plain feeling down and out. On the surface it seems to make a great deal of sense. Why get hung up on one woman when there are billions of them, right?

And yet it rings false to me. Yes there are over 3 billion women on the planet or some such number. But of those 3 billion, how many of them are attractive? I think most sensible men will agree that there are far more unattractive women than there are attractive ones. Go to your local supermarket and tell me how many women are there that you would take to bed.

So let’s assume that of those 3 billion females, 30% of them are attractive (and I think I’m being very generous here). That leaves us with 900 million or so. Now from that number, how many of those attractive women are currently in your area?

If you reside in one of the world’s big sexy metropolises, odds are there is a higher density of those sexy women within your grasp. If not, the odds of you crossing paths with these women are much lower. So let us find a middle ground. What if you live in Pittsburgh? Pittsburgh is a fairly large city but has nowhere near the level of culture and clout that places like New York, LA and London do. There are 175,444 females in Pittsburgh (http://pittsburgh.areaconnect.com/statistics.htm).

So of those 175,444, how many of them are even somewhat attractive? What are the odds that you will run into one of these attractive women in any given day in a city like Pittsburgh?

Do you see what I’m getting at? Scarcity is a real problem for men. It can’t really be solved by simply adopting an “abundance mentality”. Low abundance is low abundance no matter what your mentality is. Yes, you can go out and actively seek women at bars and clubs. But most men over 25 have life obligations that prevent them from putting the time and effort into the kind of Game needed to succeed in those environments on a regular basis. Yes, you can try online dating, but the women on these sites are past their prime, seeking marriage, and more often than not unattractive.

In the aftermath of the end of my last LTR, I’ve come to realize that a man without abundance should never allow himself to be in a relationship. This means that a great majority of men in the world should never be in relationships.

Why? Because the reality of scarcity hits much harder when that relationship ends. I am 29 years old and my last girlfriend was 21. On the scale, a solid 8. Now that it’s over, I look around me and I see nothing but second best. I have yet to set eyes on a girl that even remotely approaches my ex in attractiveness. There have been entire weeks where I’m lucky to even see a woman that isn’t sinfully ugly.

Scarcity is very real.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Cheeks said:
What if you live in Pittsburgh?
Pittsburgh? Lol, try living in a smallish midwest town like I do.

Anyway, I kind of agree with you. The whole scarcity/abundance idea has never rung 100% true with me. I mean, yeah there are billions of women in the world, but once you start qualifying them, the numbers can start to dwindle fast.

First off (and this is especially true where I live), once you get a little older, the most attractive women will have already been snatched up. Most are married. And even if they've divorced or never been married a lot of them have children. And we all know long distance relationships don't work, so cross off anyone who doesn't live within x miles of you. Take out all the hos and the numbers go down significantly, not to mention whatever other qualifications you have.

Now since most women are taken, if you are a high value guy you can actually use their hypergamy against them to make them want to bang you. Not all guys are comfortable with that, however.

You have to remember most PUA principles are based specifically on picking up random club sluts for one night stands, it's just about getting quick lays. And if you set that standard, it's true, there is no shortage of loose women that are willing to have sex with you. That doesn't exactly replace your "oneitis" though, does it?

samspade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You make a good point. I grew up in a Midwestern city, smaller than Pittsburgh but a decent size. When I go back I always notice the dearth of good looking women. You have to go to the college bars to find them, but I'm 38 and not interested in drinking out of a fish bowl while Nickelback blares on the speakers.

And yeah I live in NYC which majorly skews my perception. I see hot women constantly. They come in all colors and ages and they usually dress well and stay in better shape on average.

Also, from the 3 billion number, you first have to shave off all females under 18 and over whatever your ceiling is. Let's say we're looking at 18-30. Then you start cutting out the taken women, unattractive/fat ones, etc. and out of your area code.

My advice? Move to a bigger city, or a place where people vacation a lot.

dasein

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Scarcity/plenty is defined by your relative position in the local pool of men, not the local pool of women (other than highly skewed populations like Alaska). Seek out the weakest male pool with an acceptable female pool, not the strongest female pool.

Have always had a theory that Omaha and Salt Lake City would be good bets, but never been either place.

dangdang

Don Juan
Reaction score
It's becoming apparent that most of this **** only matters if you wanna be average. By that I mean sitting of the ****ing couch playing video games.

If you have any ambition whatsoever to get your **** together, things shift. Sure, there's lull periods of drought, but mother ****er you can make it rain if you so desire.

Natural selection? I don't know.

Scaramouche

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Dear Cheeks,
You only need at most half a dozen...there's plenty!

taiyuu_otoko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Scarcity is an economic term and is directly proportional to how fungible or interchangeable the commodity in question is.

If you are absolutely desperate for even a glance, and some girl happens to give you the time of day, it's not a question of "how many women are on the planet," it's a question of "how many women are on the planet that are interested in YOU."

This is why descriptions of abundance is fairly useless to guys with one-itis, since by definition, SHE is THE ONE, which means there's ONLY ONE, meaning there is MAXIMUM SCARCITY.

So to truly increase the feelings of abundance, (and remove any feelings of scarcity), one must first improve the DEMAND for oneself.

As the demand FOR oneself increases, there will naturally be a concomitant increase in the supply TO oneself.

One naturally follows the other.

Bottom line, do whatever it takes to INCREASE THE DEMAND FOR YOU.

Plenty of ways to do this.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
taiyuu_otoko said:
This is why descriptions of abundance is fairly useless to guys with one-itis, since by definition, SHE is THE ONE, which means there's ONLY ONE, meaning there is MAXIMUM SCARCITY.

So to truly increase the feelings of abundance, (and remove any feelings of scarcity), one must first improve the DEMAND for oneself.
Descriptions of abundance are also fairly useless for guys who are lousy with women as well, since many of them can barely get ONE girl interested in them, let alone many. Like you say though, for guys who are that bad off, there is plenty of room for improvement, and a lot of different avenues to take.

Bottom line, there really are a lot of fish in the sea. You just have to put yourself into position to catch them.

guru1000

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Top 10% of men (value) can secure 90% of the women pool. Scarcity for many, abundance for few--on a sliding value scale.

Where in this scale are you?

MikeOck

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Scarcity is very common. It usually manifests itself in individuals who refuse to take responsibility for their own well being. The ego doesn't like to be damaged, so to excuse personal failure and protect against future conflict it creates elaborate scenarios in which success is impossible.

Pandora

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Scarcity is very real. I would estimate that an average looking guy needs to be courting 10 attractive women to get 1 to sleep with him. How many men have 10 attractive women as plates? Not many, unless you are in college. We go from work to the gym to home. Not much interaction with single hot chicks in a persons day to day grind.

For most men the only way to overcome scarcity is to day approach women like crazy. This is horrifying for most people as well as time consuming. But i am starting to realize that this is a vital component to success with women. Just when you start thinking something is wrong with your game you meet the next plate that is 100% interested in you. The only way to do this is too approach like crazy anything attractive that walks. The problem is that society looks down on this behavior. Another problem is that inner game must be very solid in order to withstand a lot of rejections from day approaches.