Sauna Good or bad?

Alen-Delon

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
IS going to sauna right after workout good for you or bad for you.

thanks !

XtremeRacingDiva

Don Juan
Reaction score
Extreme temperatures - either hot or cold - can increase metabolic rate by up to 20 percent.

A sauna may increase the number of calories you burn for up to three hours afterwards.

However, any weight loss incurred during the sauna is likely to be water-loss from perspiration, and this weight loss will be regained as soon as you drink fluids.

Create Reality

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've wondered about this also. Is it safe to do all that extra sweating after an already sweaty workout? I would think there would be LOTS of fluids and electrolytes lost.

AdrenalynJunkee

Don Juan
Reaction score
Saunas are extremely helpful. It helps relieve the lactic acid buildup and cleanse your body of the toxins that get captured in your pores and skin in general. As for the sweating after your "already sweaty workout", keep reading. It is said that the 'optimal' time to use the sauna is 3 hours after you have worked out, and should be used after you have showered. Not sure why the wait, but I can provide a couple articles on Sauna usage if you would like.

Alen-Delon

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
we have botch steam room and sauna at our gym so i use both but sauna mostly and i swim afterwards. i drink lot of water while in sauna so i guess it makes up for the fluid loss.

cheers

DJ Hawtness

Don Juan
Reaction score
Sweat releases some of the toxins in your body, as well as water. So exercise!!

Alpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Where I go, if I see a semi naked hottie heading for the sauna, I ditch the workout and grab a towel, so I think it's a good idea.

Sorry, I'm just weak, weak, weak.

Fitch

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Suanas are healthy for you. Case and point. I rather not go into detail, for I have work to do.

Just take my word for it.

Create Reality

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That article makes saunas sound pretty good. I never knew how to use one properly before, so I never did. I might give it a try.

AdrenalynJunkee

Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah same here. I've been in one a couple times just because I love the heat in there. Never really understood what it did for me.

LordBrian

Don Juan
Reaction score
the site given says that suana should be used several hours after training... Do you know if this is a definite or only slightly beter...?

AdrenalynJunkee

Don Juan
Reaction score
Not too sure. If the demand is high enough, I might just do a little in depth research and write an article on it.