San Francisco 49ers

AC/DC

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So, Ken Dorsey screwed up on the most important play of the game, and Brandon Lloyd is the rawest reciever ever.

Any opinions on what the club needs to do in order to succeed?

Is Alex Smith the answer?
Use Frank Gore, or draft Reggie Bush?
Can there be success under the York ownership?
Coach Nolan's team fights like hell.... can coaches help at all?

Skel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
They need 3 years to rebuild their franchise. Also Im not sure what you mean by rawest reciever ?

A-Unit

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re:

Brandon Lloyd is good, despite an awful team.

Coach Nolan has done well. They're the West Coast version of "blue collar" football players...despite mediocre talent, they still find a way NOT to get crushed.

Lloyd would make a good "wayne" to some Marvin Harrison. I like the model of the colts and bengals. They have MULTIPLE receivers capable of running tricky offensive schemes. That's like Lloyd and Battle.

Yes...you need a good RB. GORE could be the answer...but who knows...he doesn't get enough carries?

They have Alex Smith...so they're not going Leinart.

They way things are going, SF won't have the 1st pick. Either HOU or NYJ will...so SF will have to move up. Bush's monster weekend will VAULT him atop the rankings AND give him the heisman. He single-handedly won that game, ALONG with his O-line. Any questions if Leinart would do it have been erased.

---------------------

SF got crushed when the exodus occurred.

-Jed Weaver left.
-Mariucci left.
-TO left.
-Garrison Hearst left.
-Oline guys left.
-Cedrick Wilson left.

You lost ALOT of vets and since Nolan hasn't proven out to be a Bellichick, it will begin with the right people, QB and RB, THEN recievers. Your D has good players...Julian Peterson and some shut down CB's.

I don't know if SF will move up, though. They have MANY needs, and taking a high-priced player like BUSH won't build a strong organization.

*Get a mid-level WR looking to move, Alex Smith needs a VET to grow with. Look @ Plaxico Burress and Eli Manning. Any great QB has a good tandum to hookup with. I doubt TO would be a good option, but there's guys sitting in Miami, or other teams who'd move.

*Committ to 1 RB, Try GORE now. He's shown GOOD talent, but Gore+Barlow doesn't get it done. Nobody fears that tandum, so they don't press the line. Instead the sit back and let the QB beat them.

*Acquire the players to STAY within the game. A young team like SF won't be able to keep up with other teams if they can't hold them back. Acquire new AND old D players and Depth. There's no names on that team noticeable.

I've never been one who believed in aquiring tons of offensive talent, while ignoring the defense. That only means you have to work twice as hard on Defense, AND if you sustain 1 injury to your offense, you're done.

Teams like Miami, San Diego, and even KC (had they not had LJ) are like this. One dimensional teams.

A-Unit

Reaction score
What the 47ers needs is a new offensive coordinator and next season.

A-Unit

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bastardo!

Haha, MoM.

Well, I'm mostly right.

I still don't think INDY can do it. They can't slow down a good offense, yet they haven't met a good defense, if one exists.

It's the same thing that was predicted about the sox in 04' versus the cards.

"They're so explosive. They're so sick! They'll crush the sox!"

And what...? Nothing, 4 and out. The cards hadn't faced a D so good as our pitching was.

I'm impressed by Peyton, but his team is one of those you love to hate. I don't think Cincy has the kind of D that is crazy good.

I'd like to see the match-ups of Den, SD, or CHI. If you can slow them down, and put up points, you can win, because as was shown, Chad johnson flew through them, as did Rudi Johnson, so they do have a weakness.

I'll play contrarian and STILL believe they'll not win it all. And when they don't, I'll be =), since it won't happen again either.

A-Unit

wavejams007

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Actually, there is a great solution to this. Become a Buccaneers fan!!:D :) :p

thederekeffect1

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
"Is Alex Smith the answer?"
No.

"Use Frank Gore, or draft Reggie Bush?"
Doesn't matter.

"Can there be success under the York ownership?"
No.

"Coach Nolan's team fights like hell.... can coaches help at all?"
No.

"Any opinions on what the club needs to do in order to succeed?"
A miracle.

WastelandWarrior

Don Juan
Reaction score
They need quality offensive linemen. It all starts up front.

Take it from a Bears fan, if you have exceptional o-line play, everyone will look better.
Your underexperienced QB will have time to make throws.
Your 3 RBs will look like solid, quality starters.... one of which could be pro-bowl material.
Your #1 ranked defense will look even better because they aren't on the field the entire game.

But then when you win, people that haven't seen anything more than a few highlights on Sportscenter will call you "lucky," or try to discredit you by saying your team "hasn't played anyone."

Offensive linemen is the key for the 49ers turnaround.

wootapotky

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
They need quality offensive linemen. It all starts up front.
Exactly. I don't understand why more people don't get that. That De La Salle (I think it's De La Salle) high school in California that won something like 180 games in a row and was number one in the country forever, they had a special on ESPN a while ago and the coach said everything hinges on the O line. He always built up the O line first and the rest followed. Just like USC, their O line is incredible which allows Leinart, Bush, and White to be good.

And by the way I don't know why Brandon Lloyd doesn't get more respect. It seems as if he makes a one-handed or amazing catch every week. If only he had a good quarterback. He could turn out great.

AC/DC

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by wootapotky

And by the way I don't know why Brandon Lloyd doesn't get more respect. It seems as if he makes a one-handed or amazing catch every week. If only he had a good quarterback. He could turn out great.
He doesn't play for a good team.
He has trouble creating separation from good cornerbacks
He plays inconsistently... he sucked against the Bears last week.

wootapotky

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Damn, I just got burned. That's the problem with not being able to watch any 49er games, I can't really tell how anyone plays besides a quarterback sucking it up. I do see him on just about every 49er highlight on SC making a great play. He's about the only one that ever does get on the highlights.

AC/DC

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah he's pretty talented... but RB Kevan Barlow sucks horribly.

I think they should take Reggie Bush in the draft.. what say you?

wootapotky

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't know. If they do draft him and Frank Gore turns out to be really good next season and so does Bush, they could trade Gore. Strictly as a 49er fan though (yes, I'm not ashamed to say that, I'm no fairweather fan) it would be awesome to get him because of his amazing talent. If he doesn't end up being a flop he could really help the 49ers get back to being a great team. I really love watching him play and I would rather have him on the 49ers.

Ntwadumela

Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: Re:

Originally posted by A-Unit

Teams like Miami, San Diego, and even KC (had they not had LJ) are like this. One dimensional teams.

A-Unit
I liked what you said in this post, but San Diego commiting to one side and being one dimensional? no man. not saying they have a shut down defense. but their rushing d is one of the most highly ranked in the league this year and last. they also finally got a decent pass rush this season.
they've actually been drafting the last few years for defense. using their first round picks on jammer-CB, sammy davis-CB, drayton florence-CB(second round), sure, they drafted a few ago for a qb, but got two first round picks the next year due to the eli trade and got maybe the rookie of the year, shawn merriman -OLB/DE, and luis castillo-DE. all the games they've lost have been by a total of 12 points.

We also got some of the best defensive players in Jamal Williams-DT, Donnie Edwards-MLB, and Steve Foley-OLB(hes pretty good, not the best).

well, enough bout the chargers on this 49er thread. im pretty sure most of you aren't die hard charger fans like me.
i know how it is to have someone keep talkin and talkin to you bout something you have absolutely no interest in...(f*ckin girls...)

Survivor

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by AC/DC
They need a quarterback.
Don't talk too soon. Rumor has it there's this old guy in Green Bay that may go to Miami if he's released.

AC/DC

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Survivor
Don't talk too soon. Rumor has it there's this old guy in Green Bay that may go to Miami if he's released.
That would definitely be interesting to watch!

StrangeButTrue

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't think Favre would go to Miami. I think he'll retire. But then again, that's what most people do when they go to Miami, anyway, I guess that'd just be his way of easing into it. ;)

If he does, I'll say good riddance! I'm tired of him and his Bear-beating ways!

BTW, The Bears are going to the big game. You heard it here first. I'm not afraid of anybody in the NFC.