Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Rutgers researchers may have stopped HIV

Enigma412

Don Juan
Reaction score
Sunday, Dec 12, 2004

Rutgers researchers may have stopped HIV

(AP) Piscataway, N.J. — Researchers at Rutgers University have developed a trio of drugs they believe can destroy HIV, the virus that causes AIDS, according to a published report.

The drugs, called DAPYs, mimic the virus by changing shape, which enables them to interfere with the way HIV attacks the immune system.

Tests conducted in conjunction with Johnson and Johnson have shown the drug to be easily absorbed with minimal side effects. It also can be taken in one pill, in contrast to the drug ****tails currently taken by many AIDS patients.

“This could be it,” Stephen Smith, the head of the department of infectious diseases at Saint Michael's Medical Center in Newark, said. “We're all looking for the next class of drugs.”

A research team led by Rutgers chemist Eddy Arnold pre-published details of the most promising of the three drugs, known as R278474, last month in the electronic edition of the Journal of Medicinal Chemistry. Full details will be published in the journal in early 2005.

Dr. Arnold, 47, has worked at dismantling the AIDS virus over the last 20 years. He uses X-ray crystallography, a technique to determine the structure of molecules, the smallest particles that can retain all the characteristics of an element or compound.

The research has targeted reverse transcriptase, a submiscroscopic protein composed of two coiled chains of amino acids. It is considered HIV's key protein.

“Reverse transcriptase is very important in the biology of AIDS,” Dr. Smith said. “If you can really inhibit reverse transcriptase, you can stop AIDS.”

The optimism about R278474 stems from its potential to interfere with an enzyme that the virus needs to copy and insert itself into a human cell.

“We're onto something very, very special,” Dr. Arnold said.

Dr. Arnold established his lab at Rutgers' Center for Advanced Biotechnology and Medicine in 1987. His current 30-member research team is partnered with Johnson and Johnson subsidiaries Janssen Pharmaceutica and Tibotec-Virco NV.

An important advancement in Dr. Arnold's research came in 1990 when Belgian scientist Paul Janssen was added to the collaboration. Dr. Janssen, considered a drug pioneer, published a paper that year that described a new drug that blocked reverse transcriptase but caused resistant strains of the virus to pop up too quickly.

Dr. Janssen sought out Dr. Arnold, who used crystallography to detail the structure of RT. Their work ultimately led to the RT inhibitors.

“We may eventually win the war against HIV/AIDS. That would be an extremely rewarding and satisfying outcome,” Dr. Arnold said

Omega

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Nice.

Now they just need a cure for:

-Cancer
-Parkinsons
-etc

diablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by squirrels
Yes, but what ELSE does it do? I haven't seen the side-effect list yet. :p
It's better than death, which is a side-effect of HIV...

Moved to Health & Fitness...

Alpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by KnightOfSexualRelief
And out go the condoms!
Yeah,

If you can live with about 10 other STD's. And a recent poll said 60% of women would lie about being on the pill if they wanted to get pregnant, and that was just the honest ones!

Road Demon

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
OK, jumping the gun a bit... this is in no means a cure yet, looks promising for a new class of drugs to manage the infection

I took graduate school course in molecular virology at Rutgers several years ago, and he was a guest lecturer for anti-HIV drugs, so I'm aware of exactly who he is and the direction of his research.

I have have not read the primary journal paper yet, but I will get back to you when I do.

Piece_Maker

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by KnightOfSexualRelief:
And out go the condoms!
LMAO, I was thinking the same thing initially.

...then I thought about babies and the Herpes.

Jimbo2k

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Piece_Maker
LMAO, I was thinking the same thing initially.

...then I thought about babies and the Herpes.

Sounds like a line they could use in the next condomn commercials!

CLOONEY

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by diablo
It's better than death, which is a side-effect of HIV...

Moved to Health & Fitness...
Actually, about 60% of people with the HIV virus proceed to get AIDS.

Although then again, I have heard NUMEROUS times for the past 3 years that "they" nearly have a cure for AIDS.

It will probably one day be found, but not anytime soon.

Although when it is, man, I will personally throw a HUGE party! This virus is the thing I am most paranoid about in the entire world!

Piece_Maker

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm sure that if and when this virus is eradicated, there will be something else to worry about...

Road Demon

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
HIV infection is different than AIDS, AIDS (aquired immunodeficency syndrome) is a term to describe symptoms which are hallmarks of terminal HIV infection( like low CD4 count, strange oppunountistic infections, boday wasting...etc)

Correction on the 60%, Almost 99% who are HIV infected will develop AIDS and die, although there is a very, very small subset of individual who have cell receptor mutations on their white blood cells that does not allow the HIV virus to infect their cells.

With the advent of advanced and very expensive drugs to slow the replication Of HIV, people are living up to decade or more after intial HIV infection diagnosis.

Not sure if a cure is on the horizion even with the billions of dollars invested in the research do so far, to 2 major issues can be found as it has an very error prone replication machinery (ie reverse transcriptase enzyme) and highest rate of mutation of any know virus to date.

I believe what we will see are people who are HIV infected, but live 20-40 years with the infection through the advance in drugs to delay the progress of HIV infection to AIDS.

Hot Ice

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Oh no... now the World population really explodes! :(

No reason to throw condoms away untill we have permanent cure for all STD's!

And no reason even then, the trust rate for a woman (pregnancy) is 0-99% :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Originally posted by Road Demon
Almost 99% who are HIV infected will develop AIDS and die, although there is a very, very small subset of individual who have cell receptor mutations on their white blood cells that does not allow the HIV virus to infect their cells.
those people are also immune to the plague.

CLOONEY

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Road Demon

Correction on the 60%, Almost 99% who are HIV infected will develop AIDS and die, although there is a very, very small subset of individual who have cell receptor mutations on their white blood cells that does not allow the HIV virus to infect their cells.

Oh really?

I read in a medical book that only 60% develop AIDS. But then again, that was years ago now.