Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Run or ride?

Toushi

Don Juan
Reaction score
I was wondering what's best... Running or use a bike? I prefer to use the bike, but I would like to hear from you what's best for the muscles and stuff.
Or is there some kind of relation... Kinda like: 30minutes of running it's equivalent to 1h of riding a bike (just a stupid example).

Thanks in advance.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The bike will be easier on the recovery plus you don't have to take into account joint issues if running on non-ideal surfaces with non-ideal footwear.

aShiQ

Reaction score
I would say ride. Its allows for an easier recovery time. And you can do an intense cardio session better on a bike then while running... (Well thats what I believe.)

Rovalier

Don Juan
Reaction score
It's a tricky one. Yea running does shock the joints and wear down the lower back, but it works on developing muscles to support your full body weight. You probably want to split it in half somehow if you are an athlete for some sport.

Otherwise, I suggest biking. It also depends on age, if you are post 25 I would suggest biking for sure.

ThreeStorms

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I'd say do what feels best for you, it will be alright.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
For most people however, running + muscular gains rarely go hand in hand.

Sprinting is another matter but I've never seen a 250lb long distance runner.

NewDude001

Don Juan
Reaction score
running wears down the lower back? I do a LOT of distance running (4 miles each day), is this going to become a problem when I get older.....can you maybe post some research about distance running and back problems.

Duke

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Warboss Alex said:
For most people however, running + muscular gains rarely go hand in hand.

Sprinting is another matter but I've never seen a 250lb long distance runner.
Huh? So treadmill in the morning should be avoided if I'm looking to progressively add muscle while burning fat?

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
[S]alvatore said:
Running is preferably better because you have to support your bodyweight.
So if you're a fat @ss you'll rock as a runner, at least until you loose the weight... :rolleyes:

Riding is least stressful on the body behind smimming. With cycling you have a constant resistance you are fighting, not to forget if you are going against the wind or climbing hills. Plus one can either road ride for speed and endurance and/or mountain bike for indurance, strength and agility. One can always combine the two also.

Plus didn't the guy who made running popular back in the 80's (Jim Fix) die from cardiac problems? He was really healthy up until then. ;)

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Duke said:
Huh? So treadmill in the morning should be avoided if I'm looking to progressively add muscle while burning fat?
When I meant running I meant long distance running.. a 20 minute run in the morning shouldn't short-circuit your muscle gains although I'd prefer brisk walking or hill-walking or some form of gpp.

NYtomb

Don Juan
Reaction score
I hate running, but its a necessary evil. I run 2x a week but do cardio almost every day now. Bike is good, elliptical is great, swimming is great and those 3 place a lot less stress on your joints. I first used an elliptical two years ago and was sold the minute I stepped on. Get yourself a polar chest strap so your HR appears on the machine and you can adjust your output accordingly.
good luck

[S]alvatore

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Francisco d'Anconia said:
So if you're a fat @ss you'll rock as a runner, at least until you loose the weight... :rolleyes:

Riding is least stressful on the body behind smimming. With cycling you have a constant resistance you are fighting, not to forget if you are going against the wind or climbing hills. Plus one can either road ride for speed and endurance and/or mountain bike for indurance, strength and agility. One can always combine the two also.

Plus didn't the guy who made running popular back in the 80's (Jim Fix) die from cardiac problems? He was really healthy up until then. ;)
I'm not even going to try and comprehend your idiotic reply.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
[S]alvatore said:
I'm not even going to try and comprehend your idiotic reply.
You had better not try, you'll strain that 'runner's' brain of yours. Stick to running, understanding the mechanics of a bike is probably beyond your comprehension.

DJ_Traveler

Don Juan
Reaction score
I would agree with the guys who recommended riding instead of running. I think running is great, but it's just too much on my joint.

shydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well, it depends, where you are going and how far. If you are thinking going really far i suggest bike. As it is easier to get around and you wont have to worry about being really tired or taking breaks, but runnning is good for not long distances like 1-10 miles, that way you loose more calories and get more mucle!!!!!!!!!

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Here's a stat for 'ya, an average road cyclist can ride 10 miles in 45 minutes. One who rides regularly (2-4 times a week) can ride the same distance in a half an hour or less.

Now take the time that it would take a runner to go 10 miles and imagine what you could do on a bike in that amount of time. If you really want a workout, try single track mountain biking for 10 miles, it'll take about as long as a 10 mile jog but with MUCH more of a workout; both muscular and cardiovascular.

prosemont

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
In my experience, running gives a better work out and more calories burned in less time than biking. Distance is irrelevant. In other words, if you ran for 30 minutes, you'd likely have to bike for an hour to get the same cardio workout and calories expended. Put another way: if you ran for an hour or biked for an hour, you'd get a better cardio workout running for that hour.

That's just common sense.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
prosemont said:
In my experience, running gives a better work out and more calories burned in less time than biking. Distance is irrelevant. In other words, if you ran for 30 minutes, you'd likely have to bike for an hour to get the same cardio workout and calories expended. Put another way: if you ran for an hour or biked for an hour, you'd get a better cardio workout running for that hour.

That's just common sense.
I can sit in a spin class for an hour on a stationary bike and burn 600+ calories, actually riding on the road you can burn more. You're saying you can do better than that by running? You think that is common sense? There must not be much science behind your logic.

prosemont

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Francisco d'Anconia said:
I can sit in a spin class for an hour on a stationary bike and burn 600+ calories, actually riding on the road you can burn more. You're saying you can do better than that by running? You think that is common sense? There must not be much science behind your logic.
That's exactly what I'm saying. It depends on the effort you put forth but, yes, with EQUIVALENT effort you will expend more calories per hour running.

For example, you burn approx. 110 calories per mile running, regardless of the speed you run it. So, let's just say (to use your example) you were to run for an hour at a slow pace of 10 minutes per mile or 6 mph. 6 miles x 110 = 660. If you want to equate more energy used riding on the road, then be sure to increase the energy used in running; but the effect is the same -- for EQUIVALENT efforts, running burns more calories.

A quick google search will net you tons of charts that show this, here's one:
http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache...ies+expended+running&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=9

Another common sense example on why swimming expends more energy (calories) than running expends more calories than cycling: why is it that in a triathlon, the swim is 2.4 miles, the bike 112 miles, and the run 26.2 miles? Could it be that swimming just plain uses more energy? Not many people can SWIM for 2 hours and there are many people who can bike for two hours. Try to swim an hour using the same effort as biking an hour and see which one has you gasping faster. Same with running. So, for the same TIME or DISTANCE, you'll expend more calories 1. swimming 2. running, 3. cycling, in that order.

But, it doesn't matter -- do SOMETHING. If you only have an hour, then your most effective caloric burn will be from swimming, running, biking, in that order. Any of these are better than nothing. And, running does cause more wear on your body, but that's not what you asked.