Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Rosetta Stone software training program?

Centaurion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with this language learning program?

Pros? Cons?

I'm already fluent in 3 languages (norwegian, turkish, english) with workable knowledge of german, but I also want to learn french this summer. I've been checking out different self-learning programs on the net, and this one seems popping up.

Is it as good as "everyone" wants it to be?

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's the one to get, highly interactive. The only problem is the price, about $200USD per level with most languages having at least 2 or three levels. You can save money by purchasing the levels as a bundle. You may also be able to find a copy for less of a old version at a used book/software store.

Here's an online demo.
http://www.rosettastone.com/personal/form/flash-demo-form

Maxtro

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Really expensive stuff. It's nice that they offer bundles of cheaper but there are only bundles for 1 & 2 and 1,2 & 3. Where is the bundle for 2 & 3 that you would need if you purchased 1 by itself and decided you liked the program?

Anyways I don't like it. If I wanted to learn a foreign language I would just take the class in my local community college for much cheaper. I took Japanese 1 last year for a semester and did pretty good. Unfortunately I couldn't fallow it up this year and forgot most of what I learned.

That class which was 3 units costs $78 which is still much cheaper than buying the bundle which is $166 per level.

Centaurion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I bought it :) I got the online version. It looks pretty cool, and is very easy to use. But you need a mike...

BMX

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The 3-level bundle is nearly $500 in the malls. If you aren't satisfied after 6 months, they'll refund your money. I took a spanish online class at my community college and I just had to buy a cheap headset w/mike for $10 and download Audacity which is a free voice recording program.

theunflushables

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You can find it for free if you know where to look...not that I condone that sort of thing...

Celadus

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I just got Russian Level 1...

I don't condone anything that may infringe on copyrights but it may be possible to get it through your library through what is called interlibrary loan and then it may be possible to copy it, but...that wouldn't be right, and it could take awhile to get it.

CanadaDry

Reaction score
A lot of local libraries bought this software and you can use it for free through their website using your library card number.

Unfortunately, the Rosetta Stone company decided to discontinue this practice, so as soon as the licence expires you can't do it anymore. Try it quickly before it's gone.

I also speak several languages and have used the programs when it was free from the library. It's good for languages that you have a reference point in. For example, I speak fluent French and German so any Romance/Germanic languages are a breeze to get through. Trying to learn Hebrew or Pashto, though, was completely useless even though the programs for all languages are exactly the same.

I would say it's pretty good, but not worth all the money. Most learn-at-home programs are just as good. Have you checked out livemocha.com? They're pretty awesome.

Rhoto

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You need Daemon tools (or something similar) to run Rosetta stone libraries with out original discs.

I'm currently browsing, French, Japanese, Korean and German.