Rippetoe Workout Log

shadowfox

Don Juan
Reaction score
I should have posted this 2 weeks ago but damn I have been really busy recently but I have been lifting and I've recorded the weights and reps used so here it is the Rippetoe workout log.

Aim? Add 100lb to all my core lifts in 10 weeks! That means I'm adding 10lb each workout ye lol hardcore beatch!!!

Other aims? Weight now 154lb Aim after 10 weeks: 170lb

This will be a bulk as well I will be adding 300 calories to my diet EACH week!

Right lets get on with it!

Heres the rippetoe workout : http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=750551

I will update this log each week every saturday!

shadowfox

Don Juan
Reaction score
First workout Week 1

My first workout after 4 weeks off and yes it was tough!

Squat 40kg x 5 40kg x 5 40kg x 5

Bench 20 x 5 20 x 5 20 x 5

Deadlift 40 x 5 40 x 5 40 x 5

Workout 2 Week 1

Squat 50 x 5 50 x 5 50 x 5

Wide Lat Pulldown 35 x 5 35 x 5 35 x 5

Military Press 10 x 5 10 x 8 10 x 8 These where standing and i didnt really try with these getting used to not sitting perfecting form.

Row 15 x 5 15 x 5 15 x 5

Workout 3 Week 1

Squat 50 x 5 50 x 5 50 x 5

Bench 25 x 5 25 x 5 25 x 5

Deadlift 50 x 5

Workout 1 Week 2

Deadlift 55 x 5

Bench Press 30 x 5 30 x 5 30 x 5 NEW RECORD!

Squat 55 x 5 55 x 5 55x5

Workout 2 Week 2

INCOMPLETE due to being Ill.

Comments and Questions.

I think its starting Ok. If anyone has seen my previous thread you will know I'am quite a weak ectomorph so Im trying to change that. The bench was quite intense but I managed a new record wich Im pleased with.

I want to ask though on the rippetoe it says you should do Dips, Chin Ups and Pendlay Rows?

For a starter wtf is a pendlay row? And what should i do instead of dips and chin ups as i workout at home and dont have the equipment to perform them?
Thank you!

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Good luck this program should be awesome. I'm going to keep up with reading this so don't slack on updating.

For a starter wtf is a pendlay row? And what should i do instead of dips and chin ups as i workout at home and dont have the equipment to perform them?
A pendlay row is basically doing a bent over row with your back at 90 degrees. This apparently gives your lats a lot more activation than a traditional 45 degree row.

So basically you are standing like my high tech graphical design below except that you should of course have an arch in your lower back and your knees bent enough that you're supported and can get yourself bent over far enough. It's sorta like rowing a boat where your pull right towards yourself.. not at some angle. A reverse bench press, perhaps.

----
|

Read the madcow2 post here for a full description.
http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/showthread.php?t=366601

Do pullups on a tree branch? Pullups are better than pulldowns but if you have no way to do them it's not that big of a deal. Maybe bent arm db pullovers or close grip bp instead of dips?

On the standing press, pretty much suck your abs in the whole time and try not to lean backwards even though it gets easier to push the weight up if you do. It was pretty hard for me at first when i started them a few weeks ago but it got a heck of a lot easier pretty fast.

shadowfox

Don Juan
Reaction score
thanks for clearing that up for me mrRuckus! Dont worry i wont slack. I've only missed 1 workout so far but that was because i was ill but I've recovered now and I'm back in the gym (well the one at my house lol)

Workout 3 Week2

Bench Press 30 x 5

Squat 55 x 5

Deadlift 55 x 5

Comments and Questions

Last workout felt very easy so I'm ready to add 10lb next workout and we'll see how I do but so far it's looking good and i'm making decent gains already!

Now heres the question; Should i be doing incline or flat bench presses? I'm currently doing incline, i heard that flat is easier but will it make a difference if i continue doing it incline? Thanks

BluEyes

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Do both, alternate

dirtyvibe

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
put in pullups in workout 1

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
shadowfox said:
Now heres the question; Should i be doing incline or flat bench presses? I'm currently doing incline, i heard that flat is easier but will it make a difference if i continue doing it incline? Thanks

Do flat bench. The military presses are taking care of your shoulders so you don't need the incline (the more incline you get the more your shoulders are involved.. the more decline you get the more chest is involved). If anything they will end up conflicting with each other from the sheer volume you'd be putting on the shoulders will probably end up affecting your gains.

Follow the program exactly like it's written. Rippetoe has gotten plenty of kids huge with how he has it written.

Don't move the pullups/pulldowns to another day. I think you're supposed to do them at the end of the workout. Or even not at all since the routine says they're mainly in there for people who do cleans instead of rows.

Lifeforce

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
shadowfox said:
I should have posted this 2 weeks ago but damn I have been really busy recently but I have been lifting and I've recorded the weights and reps used so here it is the Rippetoe workout log.

Aim? Add 100lb to all my core lifts in 10 weeks! That means I'm adding 10lb each workout ye lol hardcore beatch!!!

Other aims? Weight now 154lb Aim after 10 weeks: 170lb

This will be a bulk as well I will be adding 300 calories to my diet EACH week!

Right lets get on with it!

Heres the rippetoe workout : http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=750551

I will update this log each week every saturday!
Be very careful with the form. If you haven't worked out alot then you DON'T know the proper form on the exercises. I don't know why a person gives this program and says it is for new lifters because it isn't. Looking at 95% of all people who visit the gym you can make the conclusion they don't have a clue to perform the lifts right.

To get good results you have to be able to perform all lifts good. Adding 10 lbs is a very strong increase if you can manage without loosening the form. Just don't sacrifice your form to get the last deadlift up. I have a back injury to thank for it.

shadowfox

Don Juan
Reaction score
Week 3 Workout 1

Bench Press 35 x 5

Squat 60 x 5

Deadlift 60 x 5

Week 3 Workout 2

Squat 60 x 5 60 x 5 60 x 5

Wide Lat Pulldown 40 x 5 40 x 5 40 x 5

Military Press 20 x 5 20 x 5 20 x 5

Row 20 x 5 20 x 5 20 x 5

Week 3 Workout 3

Squat 60 x 5 60 x 5 60 x 5

Bench Press 35 x 5 35 x 5 35 x 5

Deadlift 60 x 5

Comments and Questions

Hmmm... everythings looking Ok. Bench Press form though could be better so for the next week I'll perfect that and also increase weight on deadlift and squat with which the form has been good. Thanks for the tip Lifeforce I really need to drill it in my head the importance of good form!

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Lifeforce said:
Be very careful with the form. If you haven't worked out alot then you DON'T know the proper form on the exercises. I don't know why a person gives this program and says it is for new lifters because it isn't.
That's the point of why the exercises are done so often. You're supposed to start very light and since you're doing the exercises often you can learn proper form quickly.

What do you do when you want to get good at something? You practice often. Want to get good at lifting form? Do the lift often. What better way to get good at doing squats than learning to do them when you're weak and you're only doing the bar?

Rippetoe uses this workout for teenagers. Any routine can injure someone if they're being careless. Soccer and football and sports like that cause more injuries than lifting.