Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Rippetoe-->Now What?

gkmantis

Don Juan
Reaction score
I have been on Rippetoe's program for 14 weeks now and I feel that it is time to change to a different routine. The program was great and I have seen fantastic results from it. However, I just cannot keep putting up new PRs every workout like the program demands. I would recommend it to all beginners out there though. You will get bigger and stronger.

On to my question. I am trying to decide where to go from here. I have read that a logical move from Rippetoe is to Bill Starr's intermediate 5x5. This program can be found here:
http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm

Does anyone on this board have any experience with this workout?

I do not know how many people here have done Rippetoe's program and moved on to something else afterwards (md3sign i think you did), but if any of you have I would love to hear what program you chose to use and how effective it was.

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What are your big lifts up to now? 5x5 could def be good, but i'm obviously biased towards modified Westside programs because everyone gets some serious strength gains on them (size as well)

Check out the westside barbell section on ironaddicts.com

reyalp

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
the program doesn't demand new PR's every workout

if you fail to complete your reps of a lift with perfect form, you put that same amount on the bar the next time you work out. once you can knock them all out, you add 5lbs or so to the bar on your next workout.

of course, we'd like to hear what your PRs are right now. if you're pulling a 410lb deadlift and stalled out, that's a lot different than pulling a 250lb deadlift and being stalled out.

md3sign

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
gk, 14 weeks isn't that long. When I got on rippetoe I added weight every week rather than every workout, otherwise I would stall way too fast. I ended up going for 5 solid months on the program

you can take a week off and come back and start it up again like this - you might be able to get through a couple more months before you need to switch things up.

how are your stats (weight and PRs) between then and now?

if you decide to change your program, 5x5 is a great step, but it just wasn't for me

also, here's my current split, it's been working great: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=1002341

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If your honestly doing great on that 5day split m3sign you would become a freak of nature on the full out westside barbell routine (not modified) and hit your plate goals faster than u would doing what your doing now.

md3sign

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I might give it a try eventually, but right now I like this program - I'm still progressing and it's fun. And I'm actually pretty close to some of my goals:

- I've already maxed at over 3 plates on squat, now just gotta do 3 for reps
- I've already maxed at 4 plates on deads, now just need to do it for reps
- I'm up to bw +70lbs x 3 on chins, which is only 20lbs shy of 2 plates for reps
- I'm up to bw + 115lbs x 3 on dips, which is only 20lbs shy of 3 plates for reps
- I'm slowly but surely creeping up on 200lbs

So I'm gettin there ...

Also, I'm going to start cutting in just under 2 months, so that'll be a whole new routine there as well. After the summer beach season though I'll most likely go back on a more compound-only program (like WS or 5x5). Thing is I can't just keep doing a barbell only routine nonstop - your body needs variety. A couple more months of this split, then a cut-oriented split, then I'll hit the compounds again.

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
md3sign said:
I might give it a try eventually, but right now I like this program - I'm still progressing and it's fun. And I'm actually pretty close to some of my goals:

- I've already maxed at over 3 plates on squat, now just gotta do 3 for reps
- I've already maxed at 4 plates on deads, now just need to do it for reps
- I'm up to bw +70lbs x 3 on chins, which is only 20lbs shy of 2 plates for reps
- I'm up to bw + 115lbs x 3 on dips, which is only 20lbs shy of 3 plates for reps
- I'm slowly but surely creeping up on 200lbs

How do you add the extra plates? Just a weight belt with a chain?

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
spesmilitis said:
How do you add the extra plates? Just a weight belt with a chain?
Yes its called a Dip belt

nice lifts md3sign. Can't wait until u get on a full westside program your gonna be in shock with the gains you make.

6-heads lewis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
mah scratch that, i looked at the 5x5 its sick im switching to that myself.

Last edited:

6-heads lewis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
For weighted dips and pullups, I prefer a regular backpack, though it only work for so long. Mine can fit a 35lb plate, Ive put as much as 55lbs in it. I just hate the belts, I see guys focusing more on keeping the damn thing in line than the actual set

reyalp

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
mrRuckus said:
not really.

kind of.

but not really
i prefer to say that it *may* need variety to continue growing

but that being said, as long as you're progressively getting stronger, keep doing what you're doing :)

md3sign

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
That depends entirely on your goals. Sure if you just want to get strong, you can stay on pretty much the same program with minimal variation, but even then you need deloading periods. Powerlifters can go 5, 10, 20, 30+ years getting progressively stronger without putting on a single pound of bodyweight. That's cool, but I want to get bigger while getting stronger. And THAT takes variety.

As for the belt - you must use a really crappy one or have some serious coordination issues. I've never had a problem strapping over a 100lbs to my $15 piece and keeping it in place.

blinkwatt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You know you don't have to jump on a "program",you can just do your own thing. Too many people stick to plans and don't find their own "niche" in lifting,then some people might ride out programs their whole lifting career,to each their own!

reyalp

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
well i guess everbody covered everything else i was going to say

goodnight gentlemen.
you have no chance to survive make your time.

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
md3sign said:
That depends entirely on your goals. Sure if you just want to get strong, you can stay on pretty much the same program with minimal variation, but even then you need deloading periods. Powerlifters can go 5, 10, 20, 30+ years getting progressively stronger without putting on a single pound of bodyweight. That's cool, but I want to get bigger while getting stronger. And THAT takes variety.
Dude those powerlifters are huge as fvck. Every bit as big as a bodybuilder. In fact, powerlifters sitting at 300 lbs who shred that body fat away tend to be better bodybuilders than "bodybuilders."

If you're sitting around 200 lbs like almost all of us the way to get bigger is to get stronger. And that doesn't take that much variety. It may take some periodization but i'd hardly call that variety since it's really just active recovery. Picking out one or two compound exercises per body part and pushing them as far as you possibly can will get you huge all over. It's not until you're already huge that any sort of fine-tuning variety stuff even matters on "lagging" body parts, which you won't even know you really have until you're getting to be 230-250 lbs of muscle.

Getting stronger + eating enough (until your genetic maximum is reached) = larger.

md3sign

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm not talking about pro powerlifters (most of whom, even though they might be ripped if they cut, are still FAT as it stands), especially not the ones competing in the 275lb and higher classes. I mean there are small dudes weighting 150lbs who can bench/squat/dead 300-400-500. Their training is a lot different from that of bodybuilders and since 1RM strength gains are primarily neural, you can get pretty strong without putting on any weight.

And who says you need 230-250lbs before you start working on bodyparts? VERY few people can ever put on that much weight at low bodyfat naturally and if all you do is compounds, as a bodybuilder when you get on stage you'll get laughed at.

That said my training still focuses on heavy compounds, but I certainly do a fair share of isolation work as well.

gkmantis

Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys.

I think you are right that I can still get more out of this program. I was just a little tired and had an off workout or two last week and felt like the weight was getting too heavy. But I took a little time off and my lifts feel good again. I will remain on the program and see if I can milk the newbie gains as much as I can.

Quick question for those of you who have done Rippetoe's program. What assistance work did you do while on the program? So far I have stuck to just squats, bench, deads, overhead press, rows, and weighted decline sit ups. I have not incorporated the dips, chin ups, or arm work on Friday.

reyalp

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i've done everything but the arm work

the hypers seem to be helping my squat a lot