Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Right shoulder problems...or so I think

The Bat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My right shoulder has always given me trouble. Specifically with bench (any variations/dumbbell/barbell) and shoulder press exercises.

I'm going to try and describe the problem the best I can. What happens is usually during the top extension phase (in bench where your arms are extended and the weight is above you as high as possible), my right shoulder tends to "roll" forward which causes my right arm to lose balance and effectively I end up dropping the weight. Literally, dropping the weight to the floor because I can't support my right arm anymore and can't "roll" the shoulder backwards.

Is this just a sign of poor shoulder build? I struggle with Shoulder Press workouts too. I'm stalled at relatively low weights (compared to my bench/row/deadlift).

Should I pick up shoulder isolation exercises to build up the deltoids? Or is there something else I can do during the exercises to fix this problem?

L B

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If it bothers you for more than 2 weeks, go see a doctor. Shoulders and knees are those things that you can injury while doing normal day activities and not know about until one day you do squats or shoulder press. Talk to your doctor, and if it's something that cannot be fixed. You need to find alternative angle. Perhaps incline or decline chest press. Perhaps shoulder press with the arms in front of you instead of on the side.

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have been having some shoulder issues myself. No pain yet, just some clicking.

From this article by Poliquin (knows his s***):

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=922014

I know that my overall shoulder strength is lower than it should be (compared with my CG bench), and that my left shoulder is even weaker than my right-cauing it too take more strain than it should. I haven't killed all bench work yet but am focusing on bringing the left up to the right and then bringing them both up to standard.

I recommend implementing some of the ideas from the above article, possibly stopping bench work for a while like he says. Although in Eric C's article that Poliquin links to he doesn't say this is neccasary-so use your own judgment.

That, and doing this everyday (or most days):

http://www.intensemuscle.com/6997-h...st-me-will-do-90-time.html?highlight=shoulder

You could also look into a supplement called Cissus, which you can get from trueprotein.com or myprotein.co.uk, depending on where you live. You can get it in other places, but I know these are reputable.

I am also going to be going to the physio to get them to loosen up my upperback/shoulder area-which is particularly tight on me. Something similar to the ART Poliquin mentions, basically deep tissue massage working on trigger points, scar tissue, etc.

Hope this gives you some ideas,

Quagmire

The Bat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks Quag for those articles. I'm going to try some of the lifts that Poliquin suggested. Eric just rambled off about shoulder anatomy a bit and the ideas he gave won't fit my current routine and goals so maybe I'll try his ideas IF Poliquin's don't work.

I thought about visiting a chiropractor or a physical therapist to take a look at the shoulder problem. I figured the problem doesn't occur too frequently and doesn't happen on many compound exercises (only bench) so it might not be that big of a deal.

I want to try other alternatives in the weight room before I seek an outside professional source for help.

The Bat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Update:

Turns out I needed to incorporate more complex shoulder work in my routine. Military Press, Upright rows, and Pullups (not really shoulder...but for stability, you need shoulders) took care of the problem easily.

The shoulder joint is so complex that you almost have to try working it from all three angles to make sure it's efficient and in working condition. The three exercises that took care of the joint complexity problem for me was BB rows (hits rear delt), upright rows (hits lateral delt), and Military press (hits front delt).

Hope this helps anyone else in the future.