Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Rest: probably the most under-rated part of the lifting lifestyle

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I personally think most guys don't really understand how much rest their bodies need to fully recover. Getting just the right amount of rest is tricky: not getting enough rest will slow progress in the gym...getting too much can cause reduced stimulation for muscle and strength development and hamper progress.

I think rest is VERY under-rated...and something that not many guys really talk about. We're always concerned about diets, and sets and reps and routines, etc.

I'd like to get an idea of how much time you guys need to fully recover to feel like you're back to 100%.

Personally, assuming I'm getting adequate amounts of rest and nutrition I feel like I'm back to 100% after around 72-96 hours of rest (this means no cardio/no weights and only moderate physical activity).

How about you guys?

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's wrong to assume sitting on your ass is the best way to recover.

eldafar

Don Juan
Reaction score
What do you mean by rest time anyways? Are you talking about the time between work outs that you're not doing anything as high intensity, or are you talking nights/hours of sleep?

Besides, recovery varies depending on individual's genes, training level, recovery speed, the intensity of the exercise done and whatnot. If recovery was as simple as not doing **** for a few days after lifting then there would be no need for things like periodization. It is simple, but it's not.

Since I am at a beginner level, I can recover after 2 nights of sleep, so roughly 48 hours after a workout.

bigshot

Don Juan
Reaction score
eldafar said:
Since I am at a beginner level, I can recover after 2 nights of sleep, so roughly 48 hours after a workout.
Ive always thought beginners require more rest?

eldafar

Don Juan
Reaction score
bigshot said:
Ive always thought beginners require more rest?
Is is true that beginners' recovery abilities aren't as high compared to those of more advanced lifters.

As Rippetoe says a beginner doesn't lift nearly as close to his/her potential max as an advanced lifter, so the body recovers pretty fast. Which is why his program has squats 3x a week, and even deadlifts after squats.

In other words, since my lifts are light, my body recovers faster :crackup:

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah beginners are not doing the same workload as the more advanced so they have less to actually recover from.

Iron Addict talks somewhere about squatting three times a week and says he couldn't do it anymore because even the light day at 80% was still like 425 lbs and hardly felt like a recovery day.

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
MrR is correct, activity is still important.

However, boiling in a salt bath for a while is certainly allowed:D

RedPill

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
In my experience, low-moderate intensity, steady-state cardio is the 'magic link' which keeps me from getting out of shape while resting/recovering. I keep a very demanding schedule, and won't lift heavy if I don't feel well rested & recovered. If I'm burning the candle and know it's going to several days or longer before I'm rested enough to 'do it right', I'll add some pull-ups, push-ups, & cable row sets to keep the rust off after cardio.

kickureface

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i just at 4.5k calories after volume day of texas. its the next day and im sorer. WTF?
my maintenance is ~2700-2900!!!