Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Requiem of a Dream

J-Man

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
i just saw requiem of a dream last night. my friend recommended it to me. he said that it was a powerful/meaningful movie. personally, i just dont see. i thought it was a terrible movie. i found it difficult to sit through it. it was pointless and depressing.

if you saw this movie, did you grow from it in any way? was it meaningful to you? how did you gain from it?

im thinking this movie might actually be meaningful, and i simply missed the point. it seemed like if there was a message from this movie, it was "dont do drugs." in which case, it is very much a failure.

CableLight

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You don't watch Requiem to gain some huge insight on life. If you try, you're not going to find anything.

The movie is simply amazing in it's presentation of the - forgive my cliche` - downward spiral of drug addiction. It's basically trying to show the disintigration of people when they get locked into such things, and does it in a really powerful and shockingly disturbing way.

J-Man

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Sir Space
ASS TO ASS!
LOL

cablelight, i see what youre saying. thats why i dont smoke/drink coffee, i dont like the idea of being addicted to/dependant on something (women/air/food dont count, since theyre part of a natural process).

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
It's Requiem FOR a Dream...

And the movie was also recommended to me by a friend. Although I've never done drugs I've known many people who have. In fact, I had two friends die from heroin overdoses. I've seen people have their lives ripped out through their a$$es and scattered in the wind because of addiction. Seeing people you care about lose everything and everyone that matters to them isn't very pretty to witness. Requiem For A Dream does a very thorough job in portraying what addiction looks like while also putting a very human face on it. That human factor as well as the "in your face" harsh reality of what hitting bottom looks like is what makes the movie so incredibly powerful.

Panda 2000

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Has anyone watched the film Pi? It's quite different from Requiem for a Dream, but you can tell it was done by the same director. It takes some concentration to watch but it is a really good movie with a really good and subtle message.

Bilogomja

Don Juan
Reaction score
I liked it because I thought it was very well directed. It seemed fresh compared to most of the other **** that comes out today. Also, I guess it had a pretty powerful message on drug abuse, how nothing good can come of it.

Jvesti

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you analyze the people that rave about this movie they are generally pity-driven people that enjoy misery.

The movie leaves you with a sour taste. Honestly, who wants to go through the experience of pity and misery over and over. Because the people that like it so much do this they'll watch it over and over again.

There is nothing insightful or genius about this movie. Showing people suffering from drugs is something you see in dare class it ain't anything new, people don't watch it to get shocked of how bad drugs are.

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jvesti
If you analyze the people that rave about this movie they are generally pity-driven people that enjoy misery.

The movie leaves you with a sour taste. Honestly, who wants to go through the experience of pity and misery over and over. Because the people that like it so much do this they'll watch it over and over again.

There is nothing insightful or genius about this movie. Showing people suffering from drugs is something you see in dare class it ain't anything new, people don't watch it to get shocked of how bad drugs are.
I disagree...

I don't think people who watch it are "pity-driven". I've owned the movie for around 6 months and I've watched it twice. I think the "fascination" some people have with the movie is how different it is from other movies when it comes to depicting drug addiction. Other films sanitize it rather than show what hitting bottom really looks like.

I never took the movie as one intended to be "enjoyable" to watch. It's supposed to make you see, feel and understand things usually limited to those who live the kind of life the characters in the movie did. It's harsh, it's sad, it's shocking and it does leave you with a certain level of discomfort. It was supposed to.

CableLight

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thats the thing about this movie...

It doesn't really tell you anything most people dont know - "Gee, drugs can ruin someone's life? Who'da thought?" That sorta thing.

It's the way the movie is shot and how it doesn't sugar coat anything and really paints a vividly accurate and haunting image of the world these people live in is what first compelled me to watch it.

You don't need to be mentally/emotionally messed up to enjoy this movie. You can watch it simply from an artistic perspective and still enjoy it. It's something of condradiction: You have a very disturbing and nightmarish world being brought forth in a very - aesthetically speaking - beautiful way.