Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

reps and maxs problem

Reaction score
hey guys

when i am benching, i do 4 sets of 8 reps, but then on my first set, i can do about 140 lb for 8 reps, but on my second set, i can only do 5-6, and it gets smaller and smaller until i can only do about 3 reps for my last set. what should i do?

thanks a lot for the help

blackbelt2k

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
how long are you resting between sets? Start off giving your muscles a good 120 second rest between sets for week 1. Week 2 drop to 90 seconds...week 3 drop to 60...which is good...unless your competeing in a sport...you shouldn't need to condition for only 30 second rest periods.

Reaction score
i'm resting about 2-3 minutes between each set, and i can't seem to keep up the number of reps unless i lower the weight,

but when i lower the weight to 130lb, its true that i can do 8 reps for 4 sets, but i wont feel the burn until the 3rd or 4th set.

confused?

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
burn means nothing, what routine are you using?

Reaction score
EFFORT said:
burn means nothing, what routine are you using?
i'm doing the 4 excercises per body part, 4 sets per excercise, 8 reps per set routine, with special emphasis on squats, deadlifts and the benchpress.

monday: chest triceps
tuesday: leg/core
thursday:back/biceps
friday: shoulders/core

by feeling no burn i mean that when i do 4 sets of 8 reps on 130lb, i don't feel anything at all until the last set.

but if i increase the weight to 140lb so i can struggle a little from the very beginning, then i am unable to keep up the number of reps in the following sets.

is this a common problem?

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I know you started this thread about rep range problems but thats not actually your problem. I'm assuming your looking to add some muslce? The routine your doing now doesn't give you any recovery time and i'm assuming if your routine is that far from optimal your diet is too. So search for "Where to start" do what i wrote in there, setup your journal etc and start making some real progress.