Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

recession proof jobs

e-lie

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
1.pawnshop owner (check local laws about this type of biz)
2.internet shop owner(should cost not more than 20k for start up)
3.Network marketing(this spite what people think there r legit oppurtunities)
4.military
5.realestate investor(The best way to break into this is as an inspector not broker)
6.cna(or medila assisiant)
7.retail
8.import/export(no degree required)
9.Mover/trucker(cdl license required)
10.selling

:cool:

Hughman

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Forgot a big-un: Working for the State

ie civil service, medicine (my choice, not that the economic climate has anything to do with it, but it's an added bonus), IRS

Hughman

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Shipping and trade I'm guessing.

Also a euphemism for the 'running' of illegal goods as I understand it.

Wiesman44

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
retail is the MOST recession-affected job. Who made this list anyway ? LOL

The above poster is an idiot. I counted a bunch of grammar and spelling mistakes. I hate to bash people, but his list really is ridiculous.

1) You are correct.

2) This goes in line with retail. HEAVILY affected by a recessionary economy.

3) Not sure what you are referring to here

4) For most, the military is a stepping stone. I would be hesitant to throw this on any list. Besides, soon as the economy dumps, they take away many of the enlistment bonuses you could normally get for enlisting in high demand areas.

5) Real estate ? Uh, have u been alive for the past year ?

6) I really dont know what a medila assisiant is.

8) import / export. This job is affected less upon our recessionary economy, but rather on the the strength of the dollar compared to other currencies. Again poster, you are an idiot.

9) Truckers are heavily affected by the economy. Reccsions produce less demand for goods means less goods being transported which means less demand for truckers.

10) Selling? Ha, you can't classify 'selling' because there's such a wide range of jobs associated with selling. In general, selling his HIGHLY affected by recessions.

Do you really want a decent list ? This is what I got right off the top of my head.

1) CPA. always need accountants
2) Health Care. Always need care givers.
3) Law Enforcement. State will make budget cuts in every way possible before touching law enforcement.

I would have once put teachers on the list, but this current economy has shown that even teachers are not immune. In my town of 30,000 people, our town is cutting 100 teaching jobs.

Magma

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
My job.

I install large steel towers (I'm the idiot that climbs around up there hundreds of feet in the air). With the push for green energy, we've been putting up a good amount of towers that house wind data equipment for eventual wind farms. We're busier than ever. This isn't a timeless recession-proof gig, but in THIS particular recession, I seem to be rock solid.

Centaurion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Have you been smoking crack?

Recession proof jobs? Selling? Retail? Import/export?

Those are the first jobs to go.

Recession proof jobs:
- fireman
- doctor
- teachers

Deep Dish

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have the closest thing to a recession-proof job. I hold a tenured position with state government, the position is operationally critical, and the need for the position only increases as the economy worsens. I can't really be laid off—even if layoffs were implemented, my position would be the last to disappear—and it's almost impossible for me to get fired. However, despite its near recession-proof status, the position comes with a price: civil service is very demanding and very low-paying. I have to work a second job just to make ends meet and have some fun.

Once the economy rebounds, I will jump ship back into the private sector, even if for a position which is not recession-proof.

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Virtually no position is sacred. In other words, everyone is replaceable.

Recession-resistant would be a better term. Some examples:

-Auto mechanic. People HAVE to drive. Cars are a priority.
-Physician (probably the least expedient path to a secure job)
-Mid-level medical providers (PA's, anesthetists, NP's, etc.)
-Nursing

Jobs which are commonly misheld as recession-proof:

-Fire and police. These are relatively secure, but not above cuts. My father is a fire chief and his city dept is way behind. Layoffs are not out of the question. Same with police. The Boston PD just cut 13 positions.

-Teachers. School districts are hurting big time. Low-seniority employees get their contract terminated or are denied renewal for the next school year. Non-essential positions go.

-Public transportation. Big cuts happening here. They are hurting as well. Tax hikes are imminent.

Pretty much all the jobs in the OP are recession-PRONE.

theunflushables

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Repo man.

e-lie

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Thansk for the positive input guys I forgot event planner and repo man both awesome jobs import/export is a great recession proof job .When u factor in education and your roi on any training and certification these jobs r pretty damn good and most require no diploma.The medical field is where its at right now better if u live by a major city.Auto mechanic I think not u can get ACE certified right away and other areas r in demand.

Michele l'Arcangelo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Good luck getting a job in healthcare when most positions are already taken. It's a stable job once you have a job in the first place.

mpimpin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I, like some of the other posters may still be curious as to what you meant by imports/exports, but I have talked to a good bit of businessmen my father works with and have been fortunate enough to meet and learn from a man involved strictly in import/export laws.

From a legal standpoint this is a large area of information and not many are efficiently learned in it. From my research it seems this is a key area where knowledge of the subject can allow you to find work and write your own ticket.

j0n024

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Michele said:
Good luck getting a job in healthcare when most positions are already taken. It's a stable job once you have a job in the first place.
I am going to become a physical therapist, luckily my mom is a very highly sought after RN so she can get me a job pretty easily.....I think having connections should be taken into consideration as well.

Tao walker 2005

Don Juan
Reaction score
I applied for two jobs last week... the 1st interview I went to they handed me a contract to sign str8 away, no questions asked. At the 2nd interview the employer almost cried when I told her I had already accepted a position. Therefore, it seems safe to say (at least in Australia) that my profession (Acupuncture) is recession-proof (for the time being).

ready123

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Colossus said:
-Fire and police. These are relatively secure, but not above cuts. My father is a fire chief and his city dept is way behind. Layoffs are not out of the question. Same with police. The Boston PD just cut 13 positions.

-Teachers. School districts are hurting big time. Low-seniority employees get their contract terminated or are denied renewal for the next school year. Non-essential positions go.

-Public transportation. Big cuts happening here. They are hurting as well. Tax hikes are imminent
Yeah, these are all city jobs, which means you're only as safe as the city budget. Here in LA, the mayor supposedly needs to cut 3000 jobs across all city departments because of the recession and the fact the city's in debt. This includes the above as well as airports, public utilities, harbor, sanitation and public works jobs

OzyBoy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I am working for the state now. It pays quite well, has a few good benefits and it is an essential service so it has good security. I am not really worried at all now. :D

I.A.F.Y.B.

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Centaurion said:
Have you been smoking crack?

Recession proof jobs? Selling? Retail? Import/export?

Those are the first jobs to go.

Recession proof jobs:
- fireman
- doctor
- teachers
Unfortunitly.. In my city they had to lay some Firemen and Paramedics off.

CGE333

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Depending on the type/cause of a recession anyone and everyone can be affected. My wife is a doctor and while her job is probably not threatened the practice she works at laid off 4 MA's (medical assistants) yesterday. Plus, at most practice part of the doctors pay is based on productivity, i.e. the number of patients you see and what you bill them for. With so many people losing their jobs and thus losing their health insurance, there are less patients so I am sure at the end of the year she will end up making less than last year. Will the avg. doctor be in the poor house or the unemployment line- probably not but it doesn't mean that they don't feel a recession in their pocket book as well.