Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Question for the guys who are married/have been married.

Victory Unlimited

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Troops…

It has been my observation, as well as my experience, that any form of worthwhile commitment that one makes-------is a serious undertaking. The idea of “committing” to anything, has imbedded within it the presupposition of honor. And when I say “honor”, I don’t mean it in the more esoteric, nebulous, or nondescript sense.

No, when I speak of honor, I think of terms that are closely related to it like trust, faith, and a dependability borne of a kinship, a brotherhood-----or in the case of man/woman relationships-------UNITY.

And when I speak of “unity”, once again, I speak of it NOT in terms of one personality abdicating his or her will to that of the other, but rather, TWO personalities finding and recognizing within each other a COMMONALITY, a COHESIVENESS of core beliefs, and a DESIRE to achieve “something” TOGETHER that the two of them would be hard-pressed to accomplish alone.

There is a Biblical passage that asks the question “Can two walk together UNLESS they be in AGREEMENT?” And the answer to this hypothetical question is of course “no”. Likewise, there is a similar passage that states that “A threefold cord is not EASILY broken.” Though there may be many interpretations of this statement, for the sake of addressing the subject at hand: MARRIAGE, one possible interpretation of it is THIS:

Between a man and a woman, in order for them to bond----in order for them become interdependent upon each other, there MUST be something between them that acts as the glue, the adhesive, or the link that holds them together. Before I continue, note my use of the word “interdependent” instead of “independent” (which is worse) or “co-dependent” (which is WORSER still).

On sites like this one------our beloved So Suave, MUCH is bandied about on the subject of a man being able to stand alone, or a man being free from the control of a woman, or societal pressures, etc. etc. ad nauseum-------and this is fine. What’s at issue here BEYOND the merits or lack thereof of a legally binding piece of paper or the underlying power struggle between the sexes is the NATURAL and NORMAL and HEALTHY desire for a man and woman to BOND with each other.

What we should keep in mind here is that co-dependence leads to an unhealthy attachment and independence CAN lead to “no” attachment. Neither of these is a good option for a man who is open, willing, and ABLE to form a healthy attachment with a woman if he so chooses. Sometimes, in our effort to fight our way free from “outside” controlling forces in our lives, we can run the risk of going TOO FAR and fight ourselves OUT of “enjoying” the fruits of our newfound freedom.

We must understand that when we have effectively accomplished our mission------when we have become emotionally intact, financially healthy, physically able, and spiritually “in tune”-------we have arrived at the perfect place to make our decisions from a position of STRENGH and not weakness.

As I have said before, fear can be as powerful a motivator as faith, but FEAR usually drives us AWAY from our happiness while faith in possibilities drive us TOWARDS our ultimate growth and fulfillment. In life, there are no guarantees. If a man chooses to marry, bond with, or commit to a woman-----and he chooses to do so with a clear mind, a clear conscience, and a competent base of knowledge------then he should be able to do so without SHAME.

And the opposite is true as well. If a man chooses NOT to marry, bond with, or commit to a woman---------and he chooses to do so with a clear mind, a clear conscience, and a competent base of knowledge-----then HE should also be able to do so without shame.

There is HONOR in either decision. However, ANY decision a man makes from a place of FEAR, shame, societal pressure, or LACK of knowledge is usually a BAD one-------the majority of the time. When a man does all he can to protect his tangible and intangible assets from the ravages of a possible breakup or divorce-----yet he really WANTS to commit to a particular woman and chooses NOT to out of fear, then does he REALLY win in the end?

I’m not sure exactly WHAT the answer to that question is. Each man reading this must answer that question silently to himself-----and decide if he’s COMFORTABLE with that answer.

Regardless, I suspect that the truth is:

Any man who lives his life in fear that any woman he dares to trust will one day destroy his life can NEVER really fully love that woman if she ever does ENTER his life------thus setting in motion events that could very well bring about the fulfillment of a disappointing self-prophecy.

As men, we each must decide what’s really going on inside of us when it comes to FULLY deciding to bond with ONE woman who has PROVEN she might actually be WORTH such an honor. We must determine are we more motivated by love and faith or hate and fear. We must decide whether or not to live a life where we fully bridle ourselves emotionally or open up enough to allow ourselves to connect with this other person on a deeper, more meaningful level.

A major step in this direction is taken when that man and woman can look at each other BEYOND the orgasms and materialisms and STILL see GREAT value in the other. But in this generation of selfishness ABOVE ALL----fewer and fewer of us seem to have what it takes on the inside to accomplish this.

Some would argue that our parents and grandparents were able to do this because they were made of “sterner stuff”-------but I disagree.

It is my opinion that they simply BELIEVED in “sterner stuff”.

THIS is what I have come to recognize as the 3rd fold in that “threefold” cord I mentioned earlier.

A shared Belief System.

In closing, I’ll just say that this has been both my experience and my observation:

Any man or woman who does not seek to hold himself or herself accountable to either a higher principle of morality, a higher standard of ethics, or a higher spiritual power-------CANNOT ever successfully achieve a peaceful, respectful, mutually satisfying, LONG TERM, monogamous relationship…or MARRIAGE (as defined by it’s most traditional, widespread definition).

Much Respect to you all.

VU

betheman

Banned
Reaction score
Victory, that is an awesome post, and I rarely use the word awesome (or any other superlatives) unless they are very much warranted.

"In life, there are no guarantees. If a man chooses to marry, bond with, or commit to a woman-----and he chooses to do so with a clear mind, a clear conscience, and a competent base of knowledge------then he should be able to do so without SHAME.

And the opposite is true as well. If a man chooses NOT to marry, bond with, or commit to a woman---------and he chooses to do so with a clear mind, a clear conscience, and a competent base of knowledge-----then HE should also be able to do so without shame."

let that be a baseline for any Man considering marriage, keep that mantra and you wont go very far wrong.

so much of Vicotries post resonates with insight, has to be one of the best posts on marriage Ive ever seen

Jamo

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Victory Unlimited said:
Troops…

What we should keep in mind here is that co-dependence leads to an unhealthy attachment and independence CAN lead to “no” attachment. Neither of these is a good option for a man who is open, willing, and ABLE to form a healthy attachment with a woman if he so chooses. Sometimes, in our effort to fight our way free from “outside” controlling forces in our lives, we can run the risk of going TOO FAR and fight ourselves OUT of “enjoying” the fruits of our newfound freedom.
[/FONT]

Much Respect to you all.

VU
I want to add something to this: There is a difference between detachment and non-attachment. Most people get attached to people or things (negative), on so-suave we learn to care less about people or things (detachment - better), the perfect mindset is non-attachment which means that while something is there you maximize (care, enjoy, etc), but when/if it is not there anymore you can easily and swiftly move on without regrets onto something/someone else with equal zeal - this is true (healthy) independence. If you can give of this vibe to a woman I think you will always be a winner.

romangod

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Victory Unlimited said:
Troops…

Any man or woman who does not seek to hold himself or herself accountable to either a higher principle of morality, a higher standard of ethics, or a higher spiritual power-------CANNOT ever successfully achieve a peaceful, respectful, mutually satisfying, LONG TERM, monogamous relationship…or MARRIAGE (as defined by it’s most traditional, widespread definition).

VU......... As usual a very enlightened post and food for thought.

I think you nailed it. In many cultures and religions, marriage is a holy sacrament and the spiritual joining of a man and a woman. This is part of what has kept my parents together for close to 60 years. They took an oath before their God and it never crossed their minds to betray that oath.

It wasn't easy. Financial hardship, family tragedies and an exodus from their war torn homeland only added to their spiritual bond as man and wife.

I guess that's part of my cynicism towards modern marriage and you expressed it better than I ever could. I call it a clash between the spirit and the ego.

If a marriage is based on each other's ego needs then the bond is tenuous at best and will crumble at the first sign of adversity. The metaphor from the Bible is an appropriate analogy. If it is built on solid rock it can withstand the crashing waves. If it is built on sand it will be washed away with the first storm.

Cheers!

The Assistant

Banned
Reaction score
soooo what exactly is wrong with having a lifetime "marriage" commitment with your "wife", but just NOT signing that little piece of paper that guarantees you to be screwed over in the .01% chance that things don't work out?

Slickster's answer was very weak, where he pretty much admitted that he doesn't care if he gets screwed over financially or not.....that's just weak. Still doesn't answer the question of WHY you would sign THE LITTLE PIECE OF PAPER??

You can still be MARRIED by love and by soul, without signing that garbage........so my assumption once again is that Slickster and guys like him just sign the contract because like chumps, they are TOLD to do so by society.

Good job puppets.

The Assistant

Banned
Reaction score
And by the way, here are 2 extra benefits of committing to each other for life, but NOT signing the contract:

1) Your woman will have more incentive to be the best wife she can be, because she will know that she could lose you AND not be able to benefit from it in any way.

2) If she ends up a bad wife and not at all what you expected, then you can just get out (unlike the guys who DO sign the contract, and then tolerate a horrible marriage for years and years due to fear of losing 1/2 their shyt).

The contract breeds fear in men.........lack of contract breeds fear in women.......which side would YOU rather be on?

betheman

Banned
Reaction score
The assistant, if you have kids with a woman, your financially liable married or not!
would you bring children into the world and not take care of them financially even though you split with the mother? very mature!
how can you be married if you arent...married?
the key in not finding a ****ty end is picking the good woman, Im divorced, no acrimony, no battles, no nastiness, I knew my wife well, there is no way she would do what so many other woman do in divorces, we both focused on our kids, we remain close.
My last LTR asked me to marry her, no effing way would I marry her, I knew what she was like and i knew the trauma she has had with past break up and how everything was everyone elses fault. she was never going to cut the cloth.
end of the day, you either pick a winner or a loser, the choice, more often than not, is yours

The Assistant

Banned
Reaction score
betheman said:
The assistant, if you have kids with a woman, your financially liable married or not!
would you bring children into the world and not take care of them financially even though you split with the mother? very mature!
how can you be married if you arent...married?
the key in not finding a ****ty end is picking the good woman, Im divorced, no acrimony, no battles, no nastiness, I knew my wife well, there is no way she would do what so many other woman do in divorces, we both focused on our kids, we remain close.
My last LTR asked me to marry her, no effing way would I marry her, I knew what she was like and i knew the trauma she has had with past break up and how everything was everyone elses fault. she was never going to cut the cloth.
end of the day, you either pick a winner or a loser, the choice, more often than not, is yours

It's one thing to be financially liable for your own child - it's another thing to have to pay alimony to some ex-wife...please tell me you are wise enough to know the difference.

betheman

Banned
Reaction score
Like I said, choose the woman wisely, I did, I dont pay alimony

romangod

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
betheman said:
Like I said, choose the woman wisely, I did, I dont pay alimony
Am I missing something here? :confused:

Cheers!

betheman

Banned
Reaction score
I pay for my kids, not my ex wife, simple really, we agreed out of court, it was amicable, she isnt a headcase, goldigger etc etc.

Rollo Tomassi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Marriage is a romance in which the hero dies in the first chapter.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Rollo Tomassi said:
Marriage is a romance in which the hero dies in the first chapter.
Come on Rollo, you hate being married, admit it!

Rollo Tomassi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Actually I love being married. I'm not anti-marriage. I'm anti-never-saw-it-coming-WTF-just-happened?-pollyanna-marriage. The whole point of that last diatribe was to illustrate that for all the most rational words of warning, for all the horrific divorces, and for all the tales of life long impact of a bad marriage, men still seem to want to get married. In the face of all the overwhelming downsides and the fact that women completely lack all capacity to appreciate our sacrifices in doing so, we still want to get married. Every advantage is weighed against him and still he wants to believe in that romanticism.

Nothing any of us here could relate is going to change the OP's mind about wanting to get married. He's going to do it. And statistically he'll probably end up with a story told by most of the Mature Men. I'd like to believe my marriage is the exception, but I'm sure many of the Men here thought the same after 10-20 years too, so I can't factor that into my estimation of being married. I can only be realistic and pragmatic about it.

5string

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Rollo Tomassi said:
Actually I love being married. I'm not anti-marriage. I'm anti-never-saw-it-coming-WTF-just-happened?-pollyanna-marriage. The whole point of that last diatribe was to illustrate that for all the most rational words of warning, for all the horrific divorces, and for all the tales of life long impact of a bad marriage, men still seem to want to get married. In the face of all the overwhelming downsides and the fact that women completely lack all capacity to appreciate our sacrifices in doing so, we still want to get married. Every advantage is weighed against him and still he wants to believe in that romanticism.

Nothing any of us here could relate is going to change the OP's mind about wanting to get married. He's going to do it. And statistically he'll probably end up with a story told by most of the Mature Men. I'd like to believe my marriage is the exception, but I'm sure many of the Men here thought the same after 10-20 years too, so I can't factor that into my estimation of being married. I can only be realistic and pragmatic about it.
This is very true^^^

My wife has her "issues". Some are very difficult to deal with. I have however been able to manage them/her. Other than this, we hang out together constantly, have the same circle of friends and enjoy each others company alot. We are still physically attracted to each other so that is never a problem.

And get this, I will have been married two years tomorrow. We had a pretty rough start, but things continue to slowly improve.

Most of the Mature Men know I was married the first time for 25 yrs. We had drifted apart for various reasons so I ended it. It was a mistake on my part and I have admitted it.

To me, marriage is an investment. Emotionally, financially and spiritually. Both parties have to commit to this investment. Only then, with an ongoing commitment by both can it work. If one becomes no longer invested or less than motivated to make it work, it's doomed. I suppose the key is choosing a gal who you think will stay the course the best you can and hope you get lucky with the choice you have made. Only each individual can decide if he wants to get married eventually. If a man does decide to marry, he is taking a risk. No question about that.

In my case, I decided to give it another try. I am of the same mindset as Rollo.

azanon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Slickster said:
I don't really talk much about my wife or marriage around here because it seems like such a losing battle with this crew.

My wife is fvckin' awesome! She's super intelligent, sexy, and fun to be around. Nothing is perfect but she makes me happy far more than miserable.

If some time in the future we change as people or the marriage fails and we go our separate ways then I see that as a good thing. Why would I want to stay in that situation? If she cheated on me it would be a tough pill to swallow but same thing. Sure I'd be pissed at her but I wouldn't waste my life worrying about it. I'd redouble my efforts and live my life even better. She loses not me.

In regards to divorce and losing money I really don't get it. My wife has a good job, is a hard worker, and we support each other. (If you married a lazy gold digger that is your fault) If we split up, I think she should get half of everything. If she wants something more and can convince me she deserves it then so be it. I can't see battling over stupid sh!t that really doesn't mean much in the big picture. Even if she took absolutely everything and left me with nothing. I'd rather start with zero and be happy moving forward with my life than spending the rest of my days being bitter because my wife got more than she should have. In terms of child support, I'd want to pay that.

I really think a lot of bitter divorced men need to be more honest with themselves. If you picked the wrong woman or allowed your relationship to go bad you have to take some of the responsibility for that. Even if she cheated on you there was probably something lacking that you could've done better. Be honest with yourself about it. Maybe it would've never got to that point if you were a better person. If she truly was evil and did you wrong that is unfortunate but you can't live your life being bitter about life, women, or society. Make the most of the rest of your days otherwise you really are letting her do you wrong. Every man has been hurt or done wrong by a woman. Some worse than others but we are all the same. Stop whining about it.

The miserable married crew who feel like marriage is a prison get no sympathy from me either. If I'm unhappy in marriage then I WANT out. I don't care how much it's going to cost me or what I'm going to lose. It's your life. If you made a mistake you ultimately have the choice to move on and change your situation. Your prison is self imposed.

The people who say marriage is such a great sacrifice I want to ask what exactly are you sacrificing? Sex with random chicks? Is that your definition of fulfilment or a happy life? Is busting a nut all that is important to you? It seems pretty empty to me. I go out with single friends all the time and see the women they chase and fvck around with. Some of them do very well and have a blast doing so. I'm happy for them but there's no way I'd switch places with them. My life is better. (Sex life too I'd wager)

If marriage means you sacrifice your freedom then I'd say once again you chose the wrong woman or shouldn't have entered any relationship in the first place. Who is at fault there? (If it is children interfering with your freedom then that is another issue.)

A couple that my wife and I know were having troubles and the girl was complaining that her guy wasn't letting her be the boss of the relationship. It was pissing her off that he'd just do whatever he wanted despite what she said. My wife told her that she didn't want to be with a guy that would let her lead him around. She told her that she can't tell me what to do ever. That's how it should be! That is normal. A relationship where one person "rules" the other one isn't going to work.

Too many men fail to realize that boundaries need to be set EARLY on in any relationship. If you start off on the wrong foot then you are doomed. You ARE stuck in a prison. Who's fault is that? Who's fault is it for staying? How many relationships wouldn't even get to the marriage phase if the man just stood up for himself in the first place. How many "wrong" women would be avoided if the guy just stopped thinking with his d!ck and stood up for himself.

I heard so many men tell me that as soon as you get married things (or she) will change. Bullsh!t. Usually it is the man that changes. He let's his guard down and lets his wife start taking control of everything. He sets himself up for failure from the get go. Once again he fails to be honest with himself and blames her, marriage, and society for his problems.

I work with a bunch of guys who let their wives rule. They work and their wives stay home and do absolutely nothing. Yet they have to ask if they can spend any of the money they earn. Their wives make all the major decisions for them. One guy gets a bloody allowance every week! They whine and complain all the time and I bite my tongue. They made their beds a long time ago.

Obviously there are countless horror stories that men have regarding their failed marriages. Invariably it was HER fault and it is marriage and society that are wrong. You almost never hear a man own up to anything. Is that realistic or is something fishy going on here?

Even if you are one of the guys who never did ANYTHING wrong but were still burned by a woman, divorce, or bad marriage what does wallowing in your misery do for you? What does preaching about your negative story do for you or the rest of the world? Think about the poor person who is diagnosed with a serious disease. Some people can't deal with their situation and spend the rest of their days experiencing despair, denial, and self pity. Then there are those people who eventually manage to accept their fate and move on with a positive outlook and mind. These people die at peace with the world and themselves. Heroes.
Best post in this thread.

azanon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Rollo Tomassi said:
I think if most guys are honest with themselves, on some level they buy the idea that they and some idyllic woman can live out a plan or be happy together for a lifetime. I honestly couldn't tell you why I proposed to Mrs. Tomassi. I wasn't forced by pregnancy or emotionally coerced by some BPD's neurosis. I can only echo my Dad's words now, "It seemed like a good idea at the time." I still do, and I'm not naive as to knowing what could happen, and that women are fully capable of betraying a man after 20 years of marriage. There is no security in marriage.
I married for exactly the same reason. Asked her 2 days after getting the idea. TBH, I've spent more time considering buying a certain stock than I did this decision. I trust my gut instinct. Until such point in time comes that my gut is wrong more than once in a blue moon, I reckon I won't change anything.

Slickster

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
azanon said:
I married for exactly the same reason. Asked her 2 days after getting the idea. TBH, I've spent more time considering buying a certain stock than I did this decision. I trust my gut instinct. Until such point in time comes that my gut is wrong more than once in a blue moon, I reckon I won't change anything.
I couldn't have said it better azanon. Great post!

My wife and I moved in together just a few weeks after we met. Somehow I just knew we were compatible. I didn't pop the question for 2 years but I think I probably knew I eventually would almost right away. Sometimes you just know.

Tazman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Although there's a little more to it, I'm starting to think guys get married for the same reason that non-religious people celebrate Christmas.........everybody else does. You aren't going to get anymore out of asking the question because the answers you'll get aren't coming from a place of critical thought, atleast as far as the "notion" of marriage is concerned. As far as choosing the "right" woman, well, I'd have a lot more faith in "not" choosing the wrong one.

Slickster

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The Assistant said:
soooo what exactly is wrong with having a lifetime "marriage" commitment with your "wife", but just NOT signing that little piece of paper that guarantees you to be screwed over in the .01% chance that things don't work out?

Slickster's answer was very weak, where he pretty much admitted that he doesn't care if he gets screwed over financially or not.....that's just weak. Still doesn't answer the question of WHY you would sign THE LITTLE PIECE OF PAPER??

You can still be MARRIED by love and by soul, without signing that garbage........so my assumption once again is that Slickster and guys like him just sign the contract because like chumps, they are TOLD to do so by society.

Good job puppets.
Wow dude you really are hung up on that piece of paper? You've been on it for 6 pages now. I've answered your questions every time with honesty. I don't know what else to say. I trust myself and the decisions I've made. No brainwashing here. I've seen too many horror stories with family and friends.

Don't call me weak or a chump because I confidently did something that you'd be terrified to do yourself. If you want to call me irresponsible, reckless, or even stupid that's fine.

How about answering some of the questions I asked you a few pages back? Such as.....

Slickster said:
...if there were NO marriage laws or contracts would you get married? Would you commit to one woman? If you were married and after years of being together your wife aged (edit. got ugly) and the relationship went stale what would you do? Would you kick her to the curb and trade her in for someone younger? What about if you had kids and she had spent the last 20 years at home bringing them up? Would she deserve some form of compensation?