Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Question about movies

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just a thought..

It is me, or are movies getting worse and worse every year?

I refuse to go see a crap ass movie, or at least pay for it.. I have better things to do with my time.

The only movie I went to go see this year, the only time i went in a movie theater all year was to see Batman Begins, which was a great movie.

I remember 10 years ago, when I was still a kid, there was always a great movie coming out every 2 or 3 months.. not a good movie or an average movie that was pumped up to be great, but a really really good movie that you HAD to go see.

Now the only time you can get a half decent movie is by seeing a remake.

On that note, I was kicking it with my dad and grandma and my uncle on christmas and we were watching the greatest story ever told on TCM.. pretty old movie but I had never seen it.. I mean, I am 22.

However, as old as it was, as low budget as everything was.. the movie was flat out better than anything I had seen all year.

So over the last week, I have been watching the TCM channel more often, and i am hooked. i haven't seen a movie that hasn't been at least 30 years old, but all of the movies are really good freakin movies.

I saw Guess who's coming to dinner.. if you haven't seen it or heard about it I won't tell you, but it's a good movie, that over 2 hours takes place in a grand total of no more than 5 rooms, all in 1 house

I had a date the other night, and she wanted to go see Some crap at the movie theater... I told her we weren't going anywhere, and I made some popcorn and we sat down and watched Casablanca, which I knew was coming on..she said it was the best movie she had ever seen.. it was the best movie I had ever seen as well.. I didn't know a movie could have so much plot in it without all of the special effects, I can see why that movie is so highly rated by every one..

(Side note, if you want to see a DJ in action, study Rick in Casablanca)

Anyway, that's my rant, but the movie compaines really need to step up their game.. i mean, is it really that damn hard to come out with a good movie these days?

Morphiex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
nah i think that some movies are faar better then before , but ofcourse they cant compete against timeless clasics like the godfather trilogy or the taxi driver , or even the indiana jones trilogy.... =P

but there are some good movies out there , but the thing is people are soooo money hungry now a times that theyd put anything on the screen just so they can earn a few bucks , and they ruin good movie scripts by giving lead roles to some major talentless actors , like jessica simpson , just cuz they know that the PR for it would be much cheaper and easier if they had a talentless double d jessica simpson then a really great unknown actress...

but here are some good movies that came out in 04-05 :

Transporter 2
The 40 year old virgin
The Great Raid , this one was daaaaamn good , =)
Bad news Bears
Serenity
Lord of War
Red Eye
Unleashed
Batman Begins , Best Batman movie ever =)
Taking lives
Spanglish, alittle chickflickish but cool
Sin CIty
Shaun of the dead,funny parody of the dawn of the dead
Sahara
Resident Evil
Man on Fire , really good movie Denzel roxs =)
Ladder 49
Hotel Rwanda
Duma
Crash
After the sunset
The Decent , a deff must see movie =P

HBK

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It seem that most movies nowadays are aimed more at the type of consumer e.g Teens

Movies rely on CGI , sexy young actors and actresses that cant really act and the plot is usually thin. I mean for me the big movies that stood out for me last year was " star wars, batman, crash,king kong" b4 that proably LOTR's and the matrix. Theres always the summer blockbuster which hollywood rams down your throat telling you is the greatest movies ever.

God how i miss the days if such ray films as scorceese or kubrick, even early spelberg. I find myself watching alot of movies from the 70's and 80's now, maybe thats just nolstalgia but i felt there was more empahisis on character development. Thers to many feckin remakes anyway at the moment.. I hear there gonna remake the classic "halloween" i mean like y?

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
it's sad when video games have better plots than movies.

There aren't too many movies out that have a plot on the calibur of the MGS series..hell if you are going to make a movie that's the one you need to make.

then, when they decide to get smart, and make the classic Resident Evil game into a movie, they drop the ball by changing the plot from Resident Evil 2, hands down the best one in that series and one of the best games ever to come out on the playstation.

Transporter 2
The 40 year old virgin
The Great Raid , this one was daaaaamn good , =)
Bad news Bears
Serenity
Lord of War
Red Eye
Unleashed
Batman Begins , Best Batman movie ever =)
Taking lives
Spanglish, alittle chickflickish but cool
Sin CIty
Shaun of the dead,funny parody of the dawn of the dead
Sahara
Resident Evil
Man on Fire , really good movie Denzel roxs =)
Ladder 49
Hotel Rwanda
Duma
Crash
After the sunset
The Decent , a deff must see movie =P
...umm.. half of thoose movies suck ass, they are good compared to each other, but in the overall scheme of things, they aren't all that good.

Resident Evil.. the first one wasn't half bad, i'll admit.. but they ****ed the 2nd one up royally, had nothing to do with the damn game.

Now, Hotel Rwanda i'll give to you... very good movie. Crash was different but pretty good, sin city batman begins are pretty good movies.

The rest you can have, and there is no way I am paying 10 bucks to see them.

The Godfather 2 comes on at least 1 time a month on REGULAR tv, and I watch it every time like I have never seen it before.. I just can't NOT watch it.. it's THAT good.

Even movies like Candyman are better than the crap that they put out now.

movies are so low now, I still have to watch New Jack City on HBO... New Jack City probably came out when I was 6.. I am 22... and it's not a GREAT Movie.. good movie, but not GREAT.

Carloto's Way, Shindlers List, Boyz in the Hood, Friday(the first one only) were good movies.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by backbreaker
it's sad when video games have better plots than movies.

There aren't too many movies out that have a plot on the calibur of the MGS series..hell if you are going to make a movie that's the one you need to make.

then, when they decide to get smart, and make the classic Resident Evil game into a movie, they drop the ball by changing the plot from Resident Evil 2, hands down the best one in that series and one of the best games ever to come out on the playstation.

...umm.. half of thoose movies suck ass, they are good compared to each other, but in the overall scheme of things, they aren't all that good.

Resident Evil.. the first one wasn't half bad, i'll admit.. but they ****ed the 2nd one up royally, had nothing to do with the damn game.

Now, Hotel Rwanda i'll give to you... very good movie. Crash was different but pretty good, sin city batman begins are pretty good movies.

The rest you can have, and there is no way I am paying 10 bucks to see them.

The Godfather 2 comes on at least 1 time a month on REGULAR tv, and I watch it every time like I have never seen it before.. I just can't NOT watch it.. it's THAT good.

Even movies like Candyman are better than the crap that they put out now.

movies are so low now, I still have to watch New Jack City on HBO... New Jack City probably came out when I was 6.. I am 22... and it's not a GREAT Movie.. good movie, but not GREAT.

Carloto's Way, Shindlers List, Boyz in the Hood, Friday(the first one only) were good movies.
seriously, if you haven't seen Casablanca, do yourself a favor and rent it... you will be suprised how much you like it, and this is coming from a 22 year old

diplomatic_lies

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I dont know if its just me, but I'm not really into the "great" movies. I thought LOTR, The Matrix, Harry Potter, and Planet of the Apes all sucked ass.

Most movies I watch tend to be the dodgy B-movies, like Das Boot or Jackie Chan's old Hong Kong flicks. Or anything by Adam Sandler before he started doing sappy romances (anyone remember Happy Gilmore?)

seanchai

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The Wedding Crashers movie was probably the funniest movie ever made. This year sucked as a whole for movies, but I defy 2006 to produce something funnier than Wedding Crashers, as 100 previous years of cinema have failed to do so.

Stud

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
dude i know exactly what your saying. i go see a movie with my gf or friends and most of the time its the same stuff, presented in a new package. Wedding Crashers was a damn good flick. The excorcism of emily rose scared the hell out of me. i'll give props to saw 2, merely because the ending kept me on my toes. other than that, nearly every movie sucked.

this is doubly true for television. every show is the same thing with a different backdrop and politically correct characters. check out The Sopranos (the first couple seasons), Deadwood, and the Wire. All of these are on HBO and i don't think it's a coincidence that these shows are above the others.

StrangeButTrue

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Wedding Crashers was absolutely hilarious, but the funniest movie of all time? You've got to be nuts.

What about all the classics, like Animal House, or Happy Gilmore?

I think movies have gone downhill, too. Dukes of Hazzard? Like it didn't suck enough as a TV show. When you have all these stupid talentless singers playing movie parts, you know it's the beginning of the end.

King Kong was good, but they put too much emphasis on special effects and not enough on the story.

I think CGI may have ruined moviemaking forever. Back in the 40s-80s they had to use plot and characters to drag you into a movie, they didn't have the luxury of multi-million dollar special effects budgets. For example, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, one of the greatest movies ever made, probably had enough special effects money to cover stunt doubles and some blank rounds/fireworks. The movie Easy Rider had no special effects at all, really, but it's still an amazing classic.

When did movies stop being another form of telling great stories and begin to be a cash cow for the idiot masses?

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The funniest movie I have ever seen, is Friday.. that's just me, and you probably wont' agree, but why Chris tucker never did the sequal is beyond me, by FAR his best movie, it's not even close.

I have a thing for political/war movies.. I love the sum of all fears and Deep impact.

I love Seabiscut.. I am a huge horse racing fan, but I don't think you have to be a fan to appricate that movie.

NOw that i think about it, I can't think of a BAD horse racing movie.. Let it ride is hillarious, probably one of the 5 funniest movies I have ever seen, espically to me because I have caught myself doing some of the stuff in the movie.. like there is one scene towards the end, when he is on this 5 race winnig streak, and has won like 80 thousand dollars, and this horse, a HORRIBLE horse, is in the paddock and just gives him this look, dead in the eye, like "i'm going to win this race, trust me" lke seabiscut gave his trainer the first time he saw him galloping, and let's it all ride on the horse... and the horse wins.

Bourne

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Some recent films I recommend:

"2046"
"WeatherMan"
"Broken Flowers"
"Crash"
"Lord of War"

cinephile

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Part of it is that movies are getting worse. In the old days, the film industry was a very exclusive club. Literally only the best of the best could be a part of the industry. While there were still crappy movies being made, it was more due to lazyness and lack of money than ability. Now any idiot can go out an make a film and get at least a direct to video deal.

Another problem is that we are comparing the movies of today to the very best that history has had to offer. So naturally it is going to be very hard to compete.

Bourne

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Explore beyond hollywood. There are many excellent films made by independent studios and from other countries.

MightyMate

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by seanchai
The Wedding Crashers movie was probably the funniest movie ever made. This year sucked as a whole for movies, but I defy 2006 to produce something funnier than Wedding Crashers, as 100 previous years of cinema have failed to do so.
Bad Santa is the funniest.