Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

question about bech press

Hot Ice

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey quick question.
I saw a guy at gym who lifted something like 440 pounds and he had stuck his butt all the way so he was on the bench just with his upper back.
I was just wondering that can you stick your butt up off the bench so much? or is it somehow different then?

Thanks.

B.A.

Don Juan
Reaction score
Creating an arch in the lower back (where your backside is more or less off of the bench) is a technique usually employed by (competative) powerlifters to decrease the range of motion. This is something that should only be reserved at powerlifting meets, as when you train the idea is to develop a full range of motion in all exercises. Don't try to imitate this person's technique when you are training your bench.

Additionally, below is a "checklist" which may aid in improving your benching technique:

1.Take 2.5-3 seconds to lower the bar to 1-1.5 inch below the nipples.
*2.Make a bridge/arch in your lower back so the bar has less distance to travel (always think decline)
3.Use your lats to help drive the bar off your chest.
4.Then push your upper back into the Bench as hard as you can throughout the whole lift.
5.Keep your elbows tucked in at all times trying to pull the bar apart!
6.Push in a straight line.
7.Drive the bar into lockout as fast as possible.
8.Keep your shoulder blades back at all times.
9.Keep feet planted firmly flat on the floor at all times.
10.Fill your lungs with as much air as possible as you lower the bar and exhale when the bars 2/3's of the way up.

* Powerlfting tip. Employ no.2 only at a meet. Only use a slight arch in the back when training.

- B.A.

Reaction score
Originally posted by B.A.
Creating an arch in the lower back (where your backside is more or less off of the bench) is a technique usually employed by (competative) powerlifters to decrease the range of motion. This is something that should only be reserved at powerlifting meets, as when you train the idea is to develop a full range of motion in all exercises. Don't try to imitate this person's technique when you are training your bench.

Additionally, below is a "checklist" which may aid in improving your benching technique:

1.Take 2.5-3 seconds to lower the bar to 1-1.5 inch below the nipples.
*2.Make a bridge/arch in your lower back so the bar has less distance to travel (always think decline)
3.Use your lats to help drive the bar off your chest.
4.Then push your upper back into the Bench as hard as you can throughout the whole lift.
5.Keep your elbows tucked in at all times trying to pull the bar apart!
6.Push in a straight line.
7.Drive the bar into lockout as fast as possible.
8.Keep your shoulder blades back at all times.
9.Keep feet planted firmly flat on the floor at all times.
10.Fill your lungs with as much air as possible as you lower the bar and exhale when the bars 2/3's of the way up.

* Powerlfting tip. Employ no.2 only at a meet. Only use a slight arch in the back when training.

- B.A.
your a ****ing moron dude. That guy benching 440 was not a ****ing powerlifter. NEVER take your ass off the bench, thats why they call it back arching and not ass arching.

dbot

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by 14yearoldmonster
your a ****ing moron dude. That guy benching 440 was not a ****ing powerlifter. NEVER take your ass off the bench, thats why they call it back arching and not ass arching.
I have yet to see you make a contributing post that doesn't insult someone or refer to homosexuality. Get the fck off these boards if you can't show some respect for people.

Soshyopathe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Actually, BA is exactly right. I hate how the competitive powerlifters get away with that formless bench press.

Reaction score
Originally posted by Soshyopathe
Actually, BA is exactly right. I hate how the competitive powerlifters get away with that formless bench press.

heres a good example of another ****ing retard. competitive powerlifters do NOT take their ass off the bench, they arch their back while keeping their but flat on the bench and drive with their legs. get a clue you faggots.

Saine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The only people that know what they are talking about are B.A. and Soshyopathe. I have seen Soshyopathe for years so I know.

The rest of you, go **** the trees outside of your house.

B.A.

Don Juan
Reaction score
IPF Worlds 2002: Competative Powerlifter with backside off of the bench whilst employing arch:

wolfie

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
lol
14 years olds shouldn't be allowed on this forum.

Neo

Don Juan
Reaction score
thats nuts BA, me and a friend were arguing the other day about how ass up, bar travelling in straight line would reduce range of motion a lot.