Quagmire911 Lifting Journal

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Quagmire911 said:
I think it was pretty much all of them. I can't remember why this is an issue again. And I'm not sure that it is if I'm not competing. I think part of the reason I do it is too stay tight when taking the weight out of the rack, cause it has massive J hooks. It isn't as much of a problem in my other gym with the smaller hooks.
When you bridge, you're taking work away from your upper body and shortening the ROM. IMO, if you're going to do something you may as well do it right, same reason we don't bounce deadlifts or do quarter-squats.

What does the size of the hooks have to do with what happens after the weight is already unracked :confused:

This probably explains why my bench seems disproportionately low compared to other posters here. I keep my ass on the bench. If you strapped my hips down, I could still bench the exact same amount of weight.

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Because of the large J hooks I have to make my upper back less tight when unracking the weight, which ****s things up. And you can't get into position once you have unracked the weight.

Here is me doing 102.5x1, with the ass planted :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1FxQ2mbC4o&feature=channel

You'll notice in the video I posted earlier that my ass is on the bench right up until I unrack the weight. I'm confident that I can do this weight with my ass on the bench, indeed my chest doesn't look any higher once I have taken my butt of the bench.

And the powerlifting bench is all about shortening the ROM as much as possible, which is why I prefer the overhead press as a test of upperbody strength.

I-tallionStallion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Nice lift man. I remembered when you hit 200 lbs for a rep a while ago. Keep it up man.

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Quagmire911 said:
Because of the large J hooks I have to make my upper back less tight when unracking the weight, which ****s things up. And you can't get into position once you have unracked the weight.
Awhile age I bought some thick leather straps that I wrap around the pegs to raise the bar up about 2 cm, so the J hooks are just barely keeping the bar in. Some cardboard + duct tape would work just as well though.

Being_the_Don

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Quagmire911 said:
Wednesday

Felt pretty funny today having been out last night. Once I got there it went alright. Had some gatorade during the workout, whether that helped, who knows. Here it is:

Overhead press 77.5kgx1 PR (171lbs)- Pretty happy with this. Bw is 185ish. so near bw for a rep. Need to lose 10lbs I reckon to be lean and that would put me closer. Here is the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL0LAHNLOt8

Squats 75kgx5x5x5- Big difference on last week, a lot easier. Could have done more, but im sticking to my plan of putting on 5kg a week. Note that this is me coming back from an knee injury- bad tendonitits. The knee is feeling good now though. I anticpate getting back to 100kgx5 pretty quickly and then I'll really have to concentrate on maintaining form, which was the problem in the past. Form felt great today, here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRctInZxaCw

I left at that. I actually felt like I could have done more today, but I had stuff to do. No cardio afterwards as I had done a lot of brisk walking beforehand, probably amounting to about 45 minutes.

Anyway that is all for today, until next time...:up:

Quagmire
Good job on the OHP, Quagmire. I haven't done clean and press in a while. It looks like I've got work to do in order to catch up to ya on the overhead press.

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Wednesday

Great day today, although I'm a little pissed as my camera died- some problem with the batteries. I actually had the set of OHP rolling just for Kerpal but the camera shutdown before the end of the set and it didn't save. This also meant I couldn't monitor squats, or get my conventional deadlift on video. Not going to use those ****ty batteries again. Anyway without further ado, here it is:

Overhead press 60kgx10 PR (132lbs)- Good stuff. Had 10 in mind when I started the set. My best to date was 8.

Squats 80kgx5x5x5- Harder than last week, but everything seemed alright. Up to 85kg next week and with a functioning camera.

Conventional deadlift 182.5kgx1 (PR) (402lbs)- This is a conventional PR, my sumo PR is 185kg. This was the first time I pulled 400+ conventional, I've done it twice sumo. Pretty damned pleased with this, I wasn't expecting it. I was just going to work up to a heavy single and 160x1 felt pretty good so I decided to go for it. I reckon I still had a little left as well, not to mention it was after the other work. Its strange I seem to go through periods of preferring sumo or conventional, today conventional felt great form wise. Of course the lack of knurling complicates sumo. This was testing the limits of grip, but I had the knurling. This is great as I haven't done heavy conventional in a long time and this is a 10kg PR I believe. I honestly see a 190kg+ pull in the near furture based on today.

Well that was it. Cardio was waxing a car which was a pain in the ass. My arms are dead after it. Waited too long to eat as well. Pretty pleased with how things are going in the gym I have to say. Bumping these numbers to 3/4/5 as soon as possible is the goal, including 200 on the OHP. I'm not sure how long the squat will take, although the above numbers are returning from injury and well below parallel. I'll guess we'll see what happens. Well that is all for today, until next time...:up:

Quagmire

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Quagmire911 said:
I actually had the set of OHP rolling just for Kerpal but the camera shutdown before the end of the set and it didn't save.
:cry:

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Monday

Not a bad day today. Drinking was down again last week but still a bit high, particularly on Wednesday night. Waist was still pretty much the same, had a few more carbs than I would have liked but stayed away from sugar for the most part. Activity was still higher though. Slow and steady I suppose on the fat loss front, with some muscle gain hopefully. Anyway here it is:

Bench press 95kgx7 (209lbs) PR- Pretty surprised I got 7 here, the gains on bench have been great the last few weeks. This was really hard though and pretty much destroyed me. I could feel form starting to slide in the last few reps. It is nearly time to deload and build back up, I'm thinking another week or two and then the deload, but as ever I'll see. I really want to hit 250+ as soon as possible, and I don't reckon its far off. I think I'm good for 240, 250 is around the limit I reckon but we'll see.

80kgx10- 15kg off and only three more reps, this shows how much that first set hit me.

Pullupsx6x6
Chinsx6-Couldn't be bothered with the DB rows.

That was it. As I say, the first bench set really nailed me. Felt pretty run down and tired afterwards. I think its been 5-6 weeks since the last deload so its nearing the time for one.

That's all for today, until next time...:up:

Quagmire

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Wednesday

Yeehhhh buddy. Great day in the gym today. Felt sluggish I have to say, drank quite a lot last night and woke up in the night with indigestion or something. Felt sick. Slept it off though although as I say I felt sluggish. What I mean by that is that I get out of breath more easily than usual, its strange. Sometimes my endurance is a lot better than at other times. Like walking up hills can be fine one day and then the next it gets me panting- its strange. Maybe its the drinking that does it. Anyway here it is:

Overhead press 72.5kgx3 (160lbs) PR- Good stuff, although the warm ups felt heavy. I felt like a 4th might have been there. Theres just no letting up with the overhead press. And as I've said, if this is going up, my bench is going up.

Squat 85kgx5x5x5- These were very deep today, I got the first set on video. The last rep on the first set was a bit too much back for my liking. Another week I think and then I will be deloading anyway and building back up again.

Deadlift 187.5kgx1 PR (413lbs) DAMN, there ain't nothing like a deadlift PR :D This is an overall PR for conventional and sumo, this was conventional. The rep felt great, I hit the groove on it and my grip handled it well. This has been a long time coming. Hopefully no more big gaps in training like at the start of the year for a long time. 500, will be mine. My first hurdle I have in mind is 440lbs or 200kg. And I want to reach that soon. Had a little bit more in me here, 190+ is doable I reckon. I think I'll attempt 190/192.5 next week and then the deload. Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOCaMrx4G7Y

That was all for today. You know all I've been doing recently is the main lifts and very few sets on each, and it seem to be working very well. I suppose conditioning is the only potential problem, but I have been doing a lot of walking (playing golf). I think 1-2 GPP sessions may be in order.

Anyway that is all for today, until next time...:up:

Quagmire

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Monday

Pretty good session today, here it is:

Bench press 110kgx2 PR 115kgx1 PR (253lbs)- Can't believe what has happened with bench over the last month, it has taken off. Closing in on 300, its suddenly looking a lot closer. It seems a lot closer than when I was at 225lbsx1. I've got it in my mind that this progress can't be stopped, I know it will, but the extra confidence is pushing me hard. I originally decided too try 110x1 for a PR but got 2 and went for the 250+.

80kgx12 PR -Not bad considering it was after the other work too. Not sure what I'd be good for fresh. It feels so much lighter after the heavy sets though, CNS priming and all that. Here is the 115x1 video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK1qrbrEy04

Kroc rows 42.5kgx15x15 PR - Weight not including collars or bar. Hard.

And that was all. I reckon I will deload next week, its been about 6 weeks so it should be about right. I've got this weird pain in my upper back that I have had since I wolk up on Thursday morning. Well thats when I remember it starting. It must have been either the deadlift, or playing golf, I can't think what else it could be. So I'll have to see how that is for the next session of the week and decide whether to deadlift heavy or not.

Well that is all for today, until next time...:up:

Quagmire

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks man.

So I'm taking the day off today. My upper back is quite tight and theres a lot of soreness in it. I wouldn't go as far to say its an injury, but I don't think there would be any point in going in today, it needs rest and I think a deload might put undue stress on it. Currently I'm thinking to go in on Monday and deload on bench and then start heavy again next Wednesday with squats/oh press again, but I'll see how it is and maybe just take Monday off. Benching seems to do better with a deload rather than time off though. We'll see.

The old birthday tommorow, I'll be getting old. Stats for 18 are 253/308/413 for 974, no equipment, no belt. And the 171 oh press. I want 3/4/5 before a year today, and If I stay consistent I know I can do it. I also want 200+ on the oh press, and then two plates a side.

Until next time...:up:

Quagmire

I-tallionStallion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
F*** yes Quag. Excellent numbers! You've made some great improvement. Easily the longest and most dedicated journal on here. My non-existing hat is off to you. Have an amazing birthday! Time for 300 club

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks Stallion.

Was working last night so I did a quick deload after work while I was up there. I was pretty wrecked from working, and now fully appreciate how useful being well rested and having eaten is to a a good workout. Here it is:

Bench 92.5kgx1, 60kgx8- That was it. I had little energy left, this felt really heavy.

Just left it at that. My back is feeling better, so I should be good to go later in the week. Until then...

Quagmire

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Wednesday

Were over 20,000 views! Lets keep the ball rolling. Today wasn't bad. Pretty standard training to be honest, nothing special. Here it is:

Overhead press 75kgx2 (PR?)- Technically a PR, but not really any better then 72.5x3. Failed on the third about halfway or so. Will probably try again nexy week.

60kgx6- Did these after the squats.

Squats 90kgx5x5x5- I felt like I held my form well. This was pretty difficult. I am doing these very low, "ass to grass". Significantly below parallel anyway, as low as I can go. I actually think I've gotten even lower over the last few weeks as flexibility has improved.

That was it. I'm going to start some kind of morning regime for cardio. Burpees is what I've started doing, but I'm also thinking of skipping. I did 100 reps with a rope after the weights and it was killer. I need something more extreme to really bring my cardio back up so I'm thinking a morning regime upon waking is a good idea.

This phase I'm aiming for 5-6 weeks same as last time, which seems to be what I can do fairly well and then deload. I'll add deads in on week 2-3, haven't decided. Starting near max and then ramping over the weeks for a PR.

Well that's all for today, until next time...:up:

Quagmire

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Monday

Not a bad day today. I'm sick of this lethargy, getting tired easily. I've said before though its seems to come and go. I actually felt a lot fitter after the training today. During and before I felt like a sloth. I'm really stepping it up cardio wise though, I've truly had it with this belly and feeling like an old man. Anyway here it is:

Bench 60x5 70x5 90x1 100kgx5 PR (220lbs)- This is what I was aiming for, pretty pleased. Aiming for a 5/3/1 approach this cycle. Last cycle I was trying the 5% solution but my gains out did the program.

Pullupsx8x7- I've decided these should be a lot better after watching this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boLl8rGhJvE&feature=related

Konstantinov is giving me a lot of motivation at the moment. Strong, excellent endurance and in shape, all at 275lbs. I wonder why I can only do so little at 185-190. I keep blaming the extra 30 or so pounds I've gained on fitness and stuff like a lack of pullups, really I've just been doing as little as possible and focusing soely on strength- which has been a big mistake. I'm not really adverse to the idea of getting bigger although it has never been a focus of mine- as long I have the kind of athleticism I did at 155. The reason I don't is simply a matter of my being a lazy couch potato. If I was this weight at 10% though, that would be a big difference in itself.

Another man, Ross Enamait, who is 175-180 last I checked, has phenonmenal fitness and can do 3/4/5 without even focusing on the big three.

Its time to step it the **** up. I've been doing 15 burpees still the last few mornings and am going to up it to 20. This isn't really meant for much, just to get me started in the morning. I also did 100 rope turns after today's weights and I recovered a lot faster than last week, although lower day does take more out of you. Little boosts to keep the metabolism up and contribute a little to fitness. I am weary of doing too much if I'm going to be doing this every morning. The reason I want to do a little every day is that there that would become routine, and if I slip up with the main sessions at least I won't get back to where I am now.

On top of these small changes, which I'm sure will have a noticeable affect from doing nothing at all, I'll be adding in two higher intensity sessions as a minimum. I'll also be doing stuff like cutting the grass etc, which should contribute a little as well.

Hopefully I can do this whilst getting stronger, but to be honest its probably more of a goal over the next 3-4 weeks, maybe more to get the fitness up. And it may take the CNS time to adjust to the workload. I'll see what happens. In the end the extra work capacity will benefit the weights. I'm not looking to be insanely fit, although that would be good. The goal is to get to a reasonable level and then build on that slowly whilst getting stronger. A part of this as I've said is also getting back down to 10-12% or so. I don't know where I am. I've slacked in the last few weeks, but I didn't really have anything set out. What I'll be doing is:

Mon-Upper
Tue-HIIT
Wed-Lower
Thur/Fri-HIIT

I've been drinking less when I've been drinking although the frequency is still to much some weeks. It's still down on the start of the year, so I'm heading in the right direction. I'm also keeping any cheat meals to mainly post workout, and If I do cheat keeping the portions smaller. That's a reasonable step in the last week or so, enjoying the odd cheat meal but not going overboard. You can still enjoy some junk, just not 500+ calories of junk. I need to also make sure and hit the carb cut offs which can be a problem. I'm very zig-zaggy with that.

Anyway this has turned into a novel. I'll probably update with the HIIT. That is all for today, until next time...:up:

Quagmire

Being_the_Don

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Quagmire911 said:
Monday

Not a bad day today. I'm sick of this lethargy, getting tired easily. I've said before though its seems to come and go. I actually felt a lot fitter after the training today. During and before I felt like a sloth. I'm really stepping it up cardio wise though, I've truly had it with this belly and feeling like an old man. Anyway here it is:

Bench 60x5 70x5 90x1 100kgx5 PR (220lbs)- This is what I was aiming for, pretty pleased. Aiming for a 5/3/1 approach this cycle. Last cycle I was trying the 5% solution but my gains out did the program.

Pullupsx8x7- I've decided these should be a lot better after watching this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boLl8rGhJvE&feature=related

Konstantinov is giving me a lot of motivation at the moment. Strong, excellent endurance and in shape, all at 275lbs. I wonder why I can only do so little at 185-190. I keep blaming the extra 30 or so pounds I've gained on fitness and stuff like a lack of pullups, really I've just been doing as little as possible and focusing soely on strength- which has been a big mistake. I'm not really adverse to the idea of getting bigger although it has never been a focus of mine- as long I have the kind of athleticism I did at 155. The reason I don't is simply a matter of my being a lazy couch potato. If I was this weight at 10% though, that would be a big difference in itself.

Another man, Ross Enamait, who is 175-180 last I checked, has phenonmenal fitness and can do 3/4/5 without even focusing on the big three.

Its time to step it the **** up. I've been doing 15 burpees still the last few mornings and am going to up it to 20. This isn't really meant for much, just to get me started in the morning. I also did 100 rope turns after today's weights and I recovered a lot faster than last week, although lower day does take more out of you. Little boosts to keep the metabolism up and contribute a little to fitness. I am weary of doing too much if I'm going to be doing this every morning. The reason I want to do a little every day is that there that would become routine, and if I slip up with the main sessions at least I won't get back to where I am now.

On top of these small changes, which I'm sure will have a noticeable affect from doing nothing at all, I'll be adding in two higher intensity sessions as a minimum. I'll also be doing stuff like cutting the grass etc, which should contribute a little as well.

Hopefully I can do this whilst getting stronger, but to be honest its probably more of a goal over the next 3-4 weeks, maybe more to get the fitness up. And it may take the CNS time to adjust to the workload. I'll see what happens. In the end the extra work capacity will benefit the weights. I'm not looking to be insanely fit, although that would be good. The goal is to get to a reasonable level and then build on that slowly whilst getting stronger. A part of this as I've said is also getting back down to 10-12% or so. I don't know where I am. I've slacked in the last few weeks, but I didn't really have anything set out. What I'll be doing is:

Mon-Upper
Tue-HIIT
Wed-Lower
Thur/Fri-HIIT

I've been drinking less when I've been drinking although the frequency is still to much some weeks. It's still down on the start of the year, so I'm heading in the right direction. I'm also keeping any cheat meals to mainly post workout, and If I do cheat keeping the portions smaller. That's a reasonable step in the last week or so, enjoying the odd cheat meal but not going overboard. You can still enjoy some junk, just not 500+ calories of junk. I need to also make sure and hit the carb cut offs which can be a problem. I'm very zig-zaggy with that.

Anyway this has turned into a novel. I'll probably update with the HIIT. That is all for today, until next time...:up:

Quagmire
The guy seemed to be using his lower body to propel himself upward, but it is impressive nonetheless. I did them that way for a long time. But about five months ago I began locking my ankles ie keeping my legs straight and locking one ankle around the other. Doing it this way makes the exercise harder because all of the work is done using my upper body. I noticed the difference immediately and I'm doing the same number of reps as I had previously.

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Tuesday

That wasn't very fun. What I was meant to do was:

GPP Workout 5 from Ross Enamaits Infinite Intensity:

Burpeesx30s Shadow boxingx30sx2 - One minute rest- x4

I subbed shadow boxing for jumping jacks which may have been a mistake. I'll maybe do the boxing next time. Anyway what I ended up doing was:

Burpeesx30s Jumping jacksx30sx2 1 minute rest
Burpeesx30s Jumping jacksx30sx1 1 minute rest x3

Total time: 9 minutes (not including the 5 minutes or so after which it took my heart to stop crapping itself)

Basically after the first set I had to cut it in half, because I was dying. And this is meant to be the beginners routine. I'll see if the shadow boxing makes a difference, but I don't think it will be that big.

I was doing around 12 burpees in each 30 s.

My arms are sliding all over the table as I'm writing this. Oh well, time to suck it up.

Until tommorow,

Quagmire