Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Protein/Eggs Question

DaveUK

Reaction score
Hey Guys

I've been viewing this board for a while now and only today started posting, I've already got a good routie and diet, however, I have a question I was hoping someone on here could help with.

I try to keep my protein intake high thus I have two protein shakes a day one normally consisting of Whey Protein and the other raw eggs, however I've read raw eggs are a much better source of protein than boiled eggs, so of recent I've wanted to work out exactlly how much protein I'm getting a day the problem being I know a boiled large egg has 8.2g of protein but I don't know what a raw egg contains, does anyone on here have any ideas?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Dave.

donjuanjovi

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
When a protein is denatured from heat or acid the amount of protein doesn't change. Just it's structure. So you can still accurately use the nutritional guide on the carton.

There are much better sources of protein out there. Whey protein shakes have much more protein than eggs and will absorb much quicker. Just something to think about.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There are much better sources of protein out there.
Eggs are the ultimate lifting food, and their BV is higher than whey even - I eat between 6 and 20 every day. Far superior to whey. There's nothing more anabolic than the whole egg.

donjuanjovi

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Biological Value:
Whey isolate - 110 +
Whey concentrate - 104
Eggs - 100

I agree eggs are very beneifcial for your health. But I think it would be better to take a whey shake or two instead of racking up on eggs to make your protein quota for the day.

simon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Whey gives you an insulin spike. Eggs give you calories and lots of vitamins. Whole food > supplements. But yeah, if you can't get all your protein from wholefood, by all means supplement.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
donjuanjovi said:
Biological Value:
Whey isolate - 110 +
Whey concentrate - 104
Eggs - 100

I agree eggs are very beneifcial for your health. But I think it would be better to take a whey shake or two instead of racking up on eggs to make your protein quota for the day.
Eggs also contain (very anabolic) good fat and micronutrients. Whey is just protein, which has its place (mostly pre, post and during workout) but I'd go for eggs over whey any time. Remember whey wasn't around ten years ago, everyone just drank eggs with a bit of milk. ;)

Both have their place - but eggs would always get my vote. Plus they're dirt cheap.

rob686

Don Juan
Reaction score
Warboss Alex said:
Eggs are the ultimate lifting food, and their BV is higher than whey even - I eat between 6 and 20 every day. Far superior to whey. There's nothing more anabolic than the whole egg.

Warboss,

I'm also consuming roughly 4-5 whole eggs per day. I read somewhere that this sort of consumption could send cholestrol & LDL levels sky high ! Somehow I think this is exaggerated , but what do you think about this?

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i heard that cooked eggs absorbs better than raw eggs.

4-5 eggs will increase your cholestorel, so try 1-2 whole eggs and then 4-5 egg whites only. I heard that half the protien in an egg is in the whites.

Bvbidd

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Eating raw whites gives you a vitamin D def, eat the whole the thing if you eat it raw.

And if your not a fatass a few eggs a day probally won't mess your choleorel too much.

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You heard these things, huh? How about citing them? Or at least guessing where you might have heard them?

On cooked eggs absorbing significantly better than raw:

http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/128/10/1716#Discussion

Regarding whole eggs vs. whites: it really, really depends on your goals and the rest of your diet. If you're bulking, go for as many eggs as you like. Emphasize whites if it makes you feel better. You can get MORE than half the protein with little of the fat or cholesterol by eating the whites alone (http://www.nutritiondata.com/). But a whole egg is nutritionally well-rounded, if a bit high in saturated fat.

If it worries you, go nuts on whole eggs like Alex for a while and get your cholesterol level checked before & after. But recognize that the amount of cholesterol in them won't affect your level nearly as much as the saturated fat, and the saturated fat in them pales next to most other sources.

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Whey is higher BV than eggs. Eggs at 100 is the standard.

I don't know what large eggs you have but all the ones i've seen have 6g protein per egg written on the carton. I forget how much "extra large" have.

Eggs won't screw with your cholesterol since dietary cholesterol has little effect on body cholesterol.

Saturated fat from eggs raises bad cholesterol but monosaturated (or was it poly?) which you should have a ton of in your diet lowers bad cholesterol so it's probably a wash.

I don't think raw eggs give you a vitamin D deficiency. I've never seen that before. The deficiency that could be caused is biotin which is a B-vitamin. I researched this a bunch before when i was eating 6 raw eggs a day. Biotin is $2 or so for like 200 pills at walmart.

Why would whey give an insulin spike that much bigger than any other protein? One of the main points in whey+simple carbs after working out is the insulin spike to help quick absorption.

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
donjuanjovi said:
There are much better sources of protein out there. Whey protein shakes have much more protein than eggs and will absorb much quicker. Just something to think about.
There's no reason to want protein to absorb quickly except after your workout. Especially before bed when you want a very slow digesting protein to last all night.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
rob686 said:
Warboss,

I'm also consuming roughly 4-5 whole eggs per day. I read somewhere that this sort of consumption could send cholestrol & LDL levels sky high ! Somehow I think this is exaggerated , but what do you think about this?
Throttle has it covered re the cholesterol issue. Everyone should stop worrying and eat their eggs.

simon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
mrRuckus said:
Why would whey give an insulin spike that much bigger than any other protein? One of the main points in whey+simple carbs after working out is the insulin spike to help quick absorption.
I wasn't talking about taking whey pre or post-workout, where you want an insulin spike, but taking it at any other time of the day.

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/80/5/1246

Whey gives a bigger insulin spike than any other protein because it remains soluble in the stomach, hence the insulinotropic BCAAs in the whey get into the blood stream quicker and stimulate a larger insulin response.

Wee

Don Juan
Reaction score
Haha I love it. "You would be better off taking a whey shake than eating a food". Whey shakes are supplements. Not a meal, they are ok if you can't do anything better, but they aren't ever better than eating real food. I have whey shakes - I add them into my diet on top of what I'm eating, but I would never base my whole diet around them. 1 whey shake a day, post workout. A protien bar if I CAN'T make a meal. I would take a meal of eggs over a shake any day. I've been eating egg whites almost every day for the past couple months. I'm not dead yet. Don't over analyze what you read, and remember that eggs are one of the best sources of protien you can get.

Whey shakes can't replace them.

manuva

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Warboss Alex said:
Everyone should stop worrying and eat their eggs.
:crackup:

Said beautifully, as always.

PRMoon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I like boiled eggs becuse youcan get rid of the yolk really easily. Actually they're already boiled at my job and I get as many as I want for free. I'm sure there are plenty of people who have an egg white seperator and can drink down just the whites or cook them up whatever but I've always found it easier and faster simply to just thin slice a boiled egg and chuck the yolk. I only eat 5 or so whites a day but I eat a lot of fish, which is also free at my job and that's where the bulk of my protein comes from.

A-Unit

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re:

If you want an understanding of cholesterol, get Dr Gregory Ellis' Diet Secret Pdf booklet. A doctor, so his opinion is well worth it. Over 600 pages, so it's chock full of great nutritional info. There's a host of sites that fight the heresy on cholesterol. In most cases, it's the LACK of fat and cholesterol. Cholesterol itself doesn't harm a person. We all have a certain genetic predisposition to one level, and when it fluctuates, it means you're not getting ENOUGH.

More people who's diets are whacks are more CARB-aholics, than EGG/PROTEIN/FAT aholics. Sure, they get fat, but they get it from McD fries, or chips, or salad dressing. Bad fat b/c it's manufactured fat. NATURAL, from other animals, is ok.

I know a 17 y.o. kid who's been put on meds already for high cholesterol. 1) His family has a history and his dad has high cholesterol. 2) His diet had carbs in it, such as soda, bad meals, and good meals.

High cholesterol of the BAD NATURE can harm you and lead to heart problems, but TAKING fat out of the diet is more a guarantee of death than anything. But research THIS. It's your body. Don't buy it from some guys online at a NON-nutritional website! I'm constantly researching it.

The biggest problems hails from the FDA pyramid, which the foundation was quite arbitrary. They just elected to have carbs, in major quantities first, to obviously sell boatloads of cereal. If they weren't the primary source of calories, then companies really couldn't innovate products for sale. They might sell SOME carb stuff, but the soda, chips, cereal, cookies, candies, etc, wouldn't dominate the center aisle of grocery stores.

I eat carbs still, but they don't dominate my diet. Nor will I let my kids fall into that trap when or if I have any. I'm not going to hit upon it extensively, but if you needed to live, AMINO acids are required, and very often, you can find the vitamins needed in those protein sources. However, you cannot find amino acids that are required IN carb sources, making protein sources important over and above carbs.

A-Unit