Problems involved with being very slim

Solomon79

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi everyone...

I wondered what everybody's thoughts and experiences were about this.

I think perhaps my only insecurity is the fact that I am very slim, and to be honest quite skinny.

Now, in my own skin, I am quite happy about this. It means I do not have to worry about weight gain, about certain health issues, and so on. It's one less hassle.

On the other hand, I sometimes feel a bit awkward, and feel that it impacts sometimes on my attractiveness towards women. I mean the skinniness itself is not a problem, it's more how you carry and move your body. And sometimes, as a slim person, you will slip up with the odd awkward or gawky movement.

The thing is, I really don't want to bulk up. Firstly because it would take a real effort and I could do unnecessary damage in making myself fatter, and secondly, because of the possibility my weight could explode after taking that initial step up (think of ex-rugby professionals in their 40s and 50s - i.e. huge with heart disease problems).

The problem here is the REALITY of women in general seeing very slim or skinny men as not sexually exciting. I have my height going for me (over 6 feet) so I am not overly out of proportion.

I have pretty much made up my mind that I am happy with my current weight. However, I guess I am looking for advice on body language and visible confidence etc. from other slim guys who empathise with this problem and know where I'm coming from.

insidious

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I got your problem too man but I'm not sure I really follow your reasoning for not "bulking" up. Look, my body was coded genetically with the "skinny twerp" gene and I look at the bright side: at least I'm not some gross fat-a$$ with a mountain-sized rump.

I lift but not with the sole purpose to "bulk up" (besides, with my frame, that would require enormous amounts of training which I don't have the time nor energy for). I have a steady, reasonable program that gives me that "lean, mean" look which is much better than just looking like a pile of bones.

I'm certainly not the one to tell you how, but go into the health & fitness forum and search around. Just cause you're thin doesn't mean you need to look emaciated. If you don't feel like taking part in any weight training, there is nothing you can really do, except get married, that will do wonders for your weight! :crackup:

Macgyver

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I'd rather be skinny than some fat ass lard. But yep, skinny in most societies is seen as effeminate/weaker. I've been bulking up and muscling up for the past couple years it's slow but it's getting there.

Weak_Game

Don Juan
Reaction score
i graduated highschool as a weak ass skinny bean pole 145lbs at 5'10

With EFFORT yes ALOT of EFFORT wich it sounds like alot of you arent willing to put in, ive managed through working out and eating right im a solid 195lbs and by solid im talking girls approach me at clubs. I jsut stsand there. Read the article by pook about working out, weight and his on field report. Opened my eyes and i wouldnt have it any other way. Just feeling big confidence seeps out everywhere.

After spending the majoirty of my life skinny, picked on, even beat up all through my younger years, into first year of college, and now living my life as a beast. I would never go back. Id rather die early then live a long life as a stick figure.

just my 2 cents

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There is a solution to skinny...

Dude, I used to be right there with ya. I was about 130-140 in high school. At 21 I grew into about 155, then I started lifting seriously. Last fall I got up to about 215, now I'm back down to 200. It takes a long time, like growing a tree, but the benefits are immeasureable.

Pook's thread in the bible is good. Big guys really do get away with more. More respect, more approaches (from all women), more confidence. Not that size and strength should be the basis of your self esteem, but i believe it's an important part.

Jippii

Don Juan
Reaction score
- I had to stop "working" and "stressing" so much about getting girls
- Anxiety and downer thoughts vanished with the weight/muscle gains, I figure it's because of your body's biology changing
- GUYS respected me much more, in the way I got treated and I made good friends much easier. I understand this because now I dont really become close friends with skinny guys, it just doesnt happen.
- Numerous other benefits after I got over this pu*sy mindset of its ok to be skinny blahblah

Check out what every skinny guy should know by Pook like suggested. and you don't have to be that anal to drive yourself to the point of being neurotic about this, but you will have to learn to discipline yourself and to keep records, take pictures, journal, eat, weight train 3x a week to get bigger. A good place to start is write down everything you eat for 3 days and add up the calories to see where youre at.

From my experience: A skinny guy on the masculinity scale is like a chubby girl on the femininity scale.

Sure you might sleep with them when an appropriate opportunity arises... But thats not who you'd go for on first impulse.

Reaction score
chickenlegs03 said:
Yeah, this guy is right, try the Anthony Ellis gaining mass program. Pook recommends it too.

It does take "effort" but so does anything else in life. Stop being lazy and do it. You'll thank us later.

Good program to start with... you can get it off *****, eMule, BitTorrent... etc. It is in pdf format.

Julian

Banned
Reaction score
organizedconfusion said:
theres skinny and then theres ripped and totally shredded..be totally shredded,muscle with the absense of fat it always appealing IMO and you DON'T have to be a muscle bound freak to get that way...

http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.y...ms/american_psycho/christian_bale/psycho4.jpg

You speak as if attaining such a physique is an easy feat.

To the original poster. Start lifting and eating its the best thing you can do for yourself. The fact that you look down upon it taking "effort" disgusts me slightly. Of course it does. Everything worthwhile does..

Shiftkey

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Now, in my own skin, I am quite happy about this. It means I do not have to worry about weight gain, about certain health issues, and so on. It's one less hassle.

The thing is, I really don't want to bulk up. Firstly because it would take a real effort and I could do unnecessary damage in making myself fatter, and secondly, because of the possibility my weight could explode after taking that initial step up (think of ex-rugby professionals in their 40s and 50s - i.e. huge with heart disease problems).
Stop fooling yourself and educate yourself on nutrition.

You can bulk up without increasing heart risk (in fact this can greatly decrease it). Those rugby players most likely either ate too much saturated/trans fat as they bulked for easy calories, or they were genetically predisposed and would've had a heart attack no matter what, or they juiced. If you eat a clean high calorie diet and stay away from certain suppliments, you will have a much healthier life.

Staying thin also does NOT mean that you are not at risk for heart and other health problems! Someone who has a high saturated/trans fat, low calorie diet can very easily have high blood pressure and cholesteral, but look thin.

Bvbidd

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Jippii said:
From my experience: A skinny guy on the masculinity scale is like a chubby girl on the femininity scale.

Sure you might sleep with them when an appropriate opportunity arises... But thats not who you'd go for on first impulse.
Bull****

Then what the hell is a fat guy? An extremley skinny woman?

ShizamDaMan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Look at all the heroin-chic rockstars. Skinny as rails. Bang more women than most third world countries.

My best friend is 6'1, 150. I'm 6'1, 225. We can both pull hot girls when our game is on. It's all about being comfortable with yourself.

I'd kill to look like any of the guys in the Strokes, they're all whippet-thin.