Pre-workout meal?

Fender

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Eating Mcdonalds before working out is NOT a good idea. I learnt this the hard way. I felt like **** the entire workout and my performance plummeted.

Anyways, I was wondering what you guys suggest I eat before my workout and the timing of it. I usually workout at around 4 so the last meal I had was lunch (at 12).

Ideas welcome. Btw, I was hoping to be supplement free so unless its absolutely neccesary, protein shakes are a nono.

-fender-

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I always have a hearty pre-workout meal .. well, actually, all of my meals are hearty but anyway.

It's always red meat (important, prime time to eat your beef if you only have it once a day) and low GI carbs until my stomach can't hold anymore - my favourites are oats and basmati rice.

If you do have a heavy meal though, remember to have it a good hour, hour and a half before the workout, otherwise you'll be spewing everywhere. :D

EDIT: just read that you go four hours between lunch and workout in which case you MUST eat something before man. I know you said no supplements but a small protein shake (just one scoop) in fruit juice/dextrose/whatever would help get the blood sugar back up and get some protein in your system - I don't recommend a big protein drink because you might throw it up.. but I've never had a good workout on empty, which is basically what you're doing..

dirtysanchez

Don Juan
Reaction score
The aim of a pre workout meal is firstly to make energy available for your workout by increasing glycogen levels and secondly to prevent muscle catabolism during the workout. Due to this, the nutrients you will require will primarily be medium to fast digesting proteins and low to moderate GI carbohydrates. Fat intake is only of necessity if the workout is longer than 1.5 hrs to slow down nutrient digestion and absorption.

Sample meals (only have 1):

Solid Meal – ~60 minutes prior to working out

- 1 serving of lean meat (e.g. chicken, beef, fish etc.)
- 1 serving of low to moderate GI carbohydrates (e.g. starchy vegetables, legumes, oats etc.)
- 1 cup of fibrous vegetables (e.g. broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, spinach, cabbage, onions, carrot)
- Plenty of water

Liquid Meal – 30 minutes prior to working out

- 1 scoop of whey protein
- 1 serving of Low to Moderate GI Fruit
- Blend with water/milk

Fender

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Lol, thanks guys for the advice. So heres my plan:

12:00- Lunch. Hell loads of red meat or chicken.

3:00- Wholemeal bread with tuna/chicken sandwich.

4:00- Whey+ dextrose shake.

4:30- Work my arse off!:cheer:

Question though...I'm a student so I can probably only afford 1 protein shake a day. Should I drink it all b4 my workout? Or should I drink half of it b4, and finish the rest after my workout. Thx.

-fender-

fatkins

Don Juan
Reaction score
30-1hr before i eat a reg meal, i always fart when lifting can be destracting sometimes

but i read an article with a tip that said not to eat so it will make you finish your workout faster because of the urge to eat, bb.com has the weirdest stuff sometimes

[S]alvatore

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Fender
12:00- Lunch. Hell loads of red meat or chicken.

3:00- Wholemeal bread with tuna/chicken sandwich.

4:00- Whey+ dextrose shake.

4:30- Work my arse off!:cheer:
The 12:00 meal is incomplete, eat it with some form of carbs/EFAS.

The whey/dextrose shake should be consumed PWO to cause insulin spike.

diablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Fender
Eating Mcdonalds before working out is NOT a good idea.
No offense, but eating McD's period isn't a good idea. The only exception to this might be their new premium grilled chicken sandwiches, but your best bet is to stay away completely.

It looks like everything else has been answered, but I've got a tip for you regarding not being able to afford protein powder.

Now, please bear in mind that the following advice is completely THEORETICAL and in no way should it be followed. It is simply for intellectual discussion only. In fact, you may go to hell if you attempt to do it.

That being said, many convenience stores now have protein powder (some even have Get Nothing Cheap powder). If you purchase a large tub, run to the grocery store and buy a 10lb bag of flour for $2. At that point you could IN THEORY go back to your house, empty the tub of protein into a container of your choice, then empty the flour into the tub - taking a few scoops of protein and putting them on top of the flour in case anybody looks or smells inside. Then IN THEORY you might just happen to bring the "protein powder" that you paid CASH for (since this doesn't leave a paper trail like a credit card does) back to the store, telling them you no longer wished to own it, and get a full refund on your purchase.

In theory.

semag

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
LOL... good idea diablo, but those tamper seals are tough to get around... :p

Legend

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I usually have some simple carbohydrates and a protein shake.

diablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by semag
LOL... good idea diablo, but those tamper seals are tough to get around... :p
Theoretically, the people who work at placed like Rite-Aid and CVS Pharmacy don't care if the seal is broken or not. In an imaginary world, I've brought back a few bottles now who's seals have been broken and told them that the powder inside tasted terrible, and they've given me a full refund on the whole bottle of baking flour without even looking inside (though if they had, the 6 scoops of whey on the top would have satisfied their curiosity...)

Theoretically.

Fender

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
lol, Diablo gets my vote for the "Best Mod of sosuave."

el diablo you are.

I'll probably refrain from your theoretical method of ripping off the company. Don't want any bad karma bouncing back at me.:rolleyes:

-fender-

organizedconfusion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i prefer a light meal consisting of chicken breast,green beans and a bowl of rice and some Gatorade to wash it down.
For me personaly,when i eat anything too fatty or heavy on the
stomach-it tends to make me really lazy and i just winde up
laying around watching The Simpsons then falling asleep
afterwards.
Just as a guildeline ,anything dark or 'heavy' is harder to
digest. Anything 'light' in color and texutre , is easier to digiest-
making it both readily availible for nutrients and easier on your
digestive system. Excersize forces blood into muscles..
if it's all flowing through your digestive system,it's not gonna be going to your muscles where it should be. :(