Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Power Clean Stall

LoneSilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Any suggestions on how to overcome a Power Clean stall?

I can't seem to get pass this stall for the likes of me and been at the same weight for ever.

LoneSilver

LoneSilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I am good at bringing it up but I loose it right at the point of racking or bringing it to rack or to shoulders and have to drop it.

Not sure what lifts to do to fix it.

LoneSilver

LoneSilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Good points, I have been hittin' the Deads lately like 2 times a week. I'll give the High pulls and Snatches a try as well.

Any idea how long it will take after doing these before I get pass this stall?

Thanks

LoneSilver

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you can pull it high enough but just can't finish the racking portion, it sounds like more of a technique problem then a strength problem.

LoneSilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay.

The last two comments got me to studying and it might be cause I can do the weight once but when I try to do it again I am not able to do it for at least a week to two weeks very frustrating and can never go beyond this weight.

I have even tried increasing the weight by 5lbs to get a feel of a different load and that failed as well.

I will try and watch how I am doing this a bit later when I work out I want to get pass this soon and I don't think I have hit my genetic potiental yet and if it is how would I know?

Tbanks again men.

LoneSilver

Smack

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
LoneSilver said:
Good points, I have been hittin' the Deads lately like 2 times a week. I'll give the High pulls and Snatches a try as well.

Any idea how long it will take after doing these before I get pass this stall?

Thanks

LoneSilver
Deadlifting twice a week is probably too much for your CNS. Most pro powerlifters don't even train the deadlift once a week; often they do it fortnightly or three times a month.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah but that's because they use such heavy weights. If you're a beginner you can squat 3x a week and deadlift 2x a week no problem, at least for a while.

LoneSilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
OK I was able to rack it successfully last evening and was careful to take care of form to be sure it wasn't to far from my body I apparently was getting ****y with this Power Clean and not watching this being to big of a hurry.

But here is what I did I used 35lbs plates instead of 45's for the first few sets increasing the weight as I went then on my stall weight I used the 45's and when I did I exploded and yelled the weight to rack it and surprisingly it felt pretty good. I have heard differing opinions on yelling while lifting that help power up heavy weights so maybe this helped. Now my challenge is to break pass this weight by 5lbs hopefully soon.

As far as the Deadlifts 2 times a week I had been laying off doing deads for awhile and basically what I am doing now is getting back using beginner weights to get to the heavier poundages I am use to.

I will still try the High Pulls and Snatches as I feel I might could still benefits from doing them.

Anymore suggestion would be appreciated but appreciate the tips from Quiksilver and Kerpal this seemed to be my biggest problem as I can tell.

LoneSilver

Smack

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Kerpal said:
Yeah but that's because they use such heavy weights. If you're a beginner you can squat 3x a week and deadlift 2x a week no problem, at least for a while.
No, not always. Some people are simply not built to squat 3 times and deadlift 2 times per week, despite what you might hear from Mark Rippetoe.

Flyer

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
... are you doing the jerk part as well?
I'm not sure if i understand what you mean by bring it back to the shoulders.

Remember (for oly clean & jerk anyway) that you're not actually using your arms to pull the weight up, rather, you are pulling your body down beneath the bar.

Who taught you how to do powercleans?

Remember to keep the bar close to your body for leverage.

LoneSilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Maybe it's just a Clean. I Clean it from the floor like a Deadlift but bringing it up to the shoulders and depending on weight I will press it overhead then back down to floor.

It was the part getting it to the shoulders or racking it was where I was stalling or sticking.

I always considered it a Power Clean am I mistaken?

LoneSilver

Flyer

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Okay, so you are doing the 'clean' movement and throwing in a OHP at the end.

Lets break the clean movement down to its components -->

1. Deadlift to thighs.
2. Shrug + Jump.
As you jump, you pull your body down beneath the bar.
3. High pull + push down.
4. Rack on shoulders.
(all done in half a second or so)

Assuming that your technique is fine, this is what I'd suggest.

As you are stalling on the racking part i.e. steps 2 and 3; I suggest you also do shrugs, and Hang Power Cleans (cleaning from thighs) to work on your max jump.

You can also work on the speed in which you do the deadlift, as that will help you do the transition into the jump.

P.S. This isnt important, but power cleans is simply a clean where you don't go down into a full squat, instead you land on your knees at approx 90degrees. It's a more power based movement.

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Smack said:
No, not always. Some people are simply not built to squat 3 times and deadlift 2 times per week, despite what you might hear from Mark Rippetoe.
Of course he never actually claimed that, but ok.