Posture - how to keep correct posture

Magnatolia

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been trying to pull my shoulders back and sit straight, but it seems to be almost like I'm using muscles to keep my shoulders back. And I end up tired. Is this normal?

Are there any techniques for improving this?

Thanks
Jason

noneother

Don Juan
Reaction score
i have a slight turtle neck from studying too much, does anyone know any exercises to correct this?

jive

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Look up the Alexander technique (practiced and recommended by Neil Strauss aka Style)

Cruise

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Try circuit training workouts... this could simply just be a product of a weak frame.

or

Yoga (I know I know...) is known for producing excellent, firm, flexible, sturdy posture... (I deserve a check for the ad)...

Think confident, project confidence...

George Gordon

Banned
Reaction score
jive said:
Look up the Alexander technique (practiced and recommended by Neil Strauss aka Style)
Do you practice Alexander Technique, or have you ever gone for a lesson?

Vandermast

Don Juan
Reaction score
If you have insurance and the money, go to a chiropractor. I was going for posture reasons and b/c my neck was toooo stretch forward like a dinosaur. Within the 4-6 months I was standing at a wonderful posture without putting any kind of effort into it. I was told I got taller but really my slumped shoulders were actually in the place they needed to be and I was standing str8 with my head up and not leaned forward.

I went to a chiro for one year. I fell back a lot though but that's b/c I haven't put into practice the things I learned to keep maintaince but it is well worth it in my opinion.

Vandermast

Don Juan
Reaction score
noneother said:
i have a slight turtle neck from studying too much, does anyone know any exercises to correct this?
Lye on your back at your bed and at the edge, let your neck and head hang in the air for 5 minutes. 2x daily everyday. When I was going to a chiro I had weights that started at 2lbs and increased very, very slowly until I was at 10lbs. Never use more than 10lbs if you have something to add weight.