Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

pec growth

Scrumtulescence

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
For a while I tried to build up my pecs, particularly my upper pecs, because I've got a bit of fat in my chest that just doesn't go away and that could be offset by bigger upper pecs. But recently I've heard and read that targetting a specific area of your pecs is pointless because it's just one muscle (well two obviously) and can only grow one way. So, which is it? Is it pointless to focus on upper pecs (incline bench presses), or can you really build up one area of your pecs more than another? It just seems as though my pecs are growing in a way that isn't exactly helping with my slight moob problem.....they're growing in sort of a pointy 'cone' shape that just pushes out and accentuates the fat instead of "filling it out", if ya know what I mean.

semag

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
>Pectoralis Major
http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

-->Clavicular Head
http://www.exrx.net/Muscles/PectoralisClavicular.html
Clavicular Head hit by exercises -- Incline bench, incline DB, incline etc...

-->Sternal Head
http://www.exrx.net/Muscles/PectoralisSternal.html
Sternal Head hit by exercises -- Dumbbell Bench Press, Decline Bench Press, Decline Fly, Fly, Pullover, Bench Press, Decline Bench... etc.

All info stripped from exrx.net.

To answer your question, lower your bodyfat.

EDIT: This is chest separation http://www.musculardevelopment.com/new/sept03p226.jpg and the reason people say chest is all one muscle is because the top one is really small (just look at the exrx link to see the difference in size)

Scrumtulescence

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks, so there really is another pec muscle on top. I guess I keep doing those incline presses then.

To answer your question, lower your bodyfat.
Obviously I've tried that already. I lost lots of fat all over, and very little fat in my chest. I've come to the conclusion that even if it were possible for me to lose the fat in my chest (without surgery), it would require so much cardio and calorie-deficit dieting that I'd lose all my muscle gains and it wouldn't be worth it. After all the cutting I've done with no results in my chest, a fat-free chest is nothing but a pipe dream for me.

Shiftkey

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I can think of worse places for bodyfat. You should count your blessings.

bcherb2

Don Juan
Reaction score
You cannot spot reduce fat, the only way to get rid of it is cardio/diet/whatever else.

Scrumtulescence

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by bcherb2
You cannot spot reduce fat, the only way to get rid of it is cardio/diet/whatever else.
Where in my post did I ever say I was trying to spot reduce any fat? My chest fat will not go away no matter how much cardio and dieting I do, I've already established that. It's probably a slight case of gyno. The only thing I can do is build muscle around it, and that doesn't seem to be working out too well to reduce the look of the chest fat.

DonJuanMonk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I know what you're talking about bro, I had somewhat of a cave of a chest and then I just kept doing pushups, chest muscle workouts, eating more protein and it slowly "filled in" to a much better physique, not only that but my shoulders/chest are pretty wide for my body type which is attractive.

My regiment:

Eat protein
Do 50 pushups every other day
Do chest muscle workouts for 15+ min twice a week.

It'll fill in, trust me. Skinny people generally have this problem, I'm moving towards Medium body type so I can see it coming off nicely.

Shiftkey

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Scrumtulescence
Are the pushups really necessary, or even beneficial at all, if you're doing weight exercises twice a week?
Not really. Infact you're better off doing heavy weighted chest exercises (bench press, and variets) only once a week. Muscles grow in kitchen and the bedroom not in the gym. It also takes much more than protein to grow muscle. Sleep is very important to muscle growth - you should sleep 8 or 9 hours a day.

NYtomb

Don Juan
Reaction score
Are the pushups really necessary, or even beneficial at all, if you're doing weight exercises twice a week?
it depends on the person. In highschool I did a lot of high rep exercises. I exercised my chest/tri, back/bi and legs twice a week. I really didnt give it time to heal so my results, while not bad, couldve been better. I was also abnormally sore.
In the past 2 years I exercise each muscle group once a week. Every monday is chest/tri, wednesday back/bi, friday shoulders, saturday legs. In the mornings I do cardio and BW only exercises. I will give at least 3 days rest from the weight set before doing the BW exercises in the mornings. Results have been pretty good with a 2.5-5 pounds gain in strength in the bench press and squats each week and similar results on my lats. I also believe the BW exercises help me to retain some flexibility and endurance that you could lose from a lot of heavy lifting.

semag

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Because obviously this guy's chest doesn't look good.
you're trying to tell me that Flex Wheeler doesn't have an amazingly proportional body? Go do a search on that....

... pre "building up" to compete with the current monsters of the olympias, flex had an amazing physique. His waist was super thin with giant shoulders, and he was chillin pretty at like 220 lbs or something... I think you're just "turned off" by the fact that he's in the middle of a set, with everything flexed. Go find some posing shots, the guy is a legend.

Criminal Mind

Don Juan
Reaction score
Scrum, are you referring to gynocomasta?

It'll go away eventually (for most people) who have it during their teen years.

If you want your pecs to grow, hit the dumbell pench presses, they're WAY better.

If you worried about it, visit your doc.

Scrumtulescence

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Criminal Mind
Scrum, are you referring to gynocomasta?

It'll go away eventually (for most people) who have it during their teen years.

If you want your pecs to grow, hit the dumbell pench presses, they're WAY better.

If you worried about it, visit your doc.
I'm not so sure it just "goes away" for everybody. People who have it seem to have it well into adulthood. I am doing dumbbell presses, though, since dumbells are all I got at home.

Scrumtulescence

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Criminal Mind
It could be just body fat. Lift heavy, eat well, get your rest.

If you're concerned about it, just visit your doctor. If it is gyno, then there are operations available that can remove it.
Do the operations remove it permanently? I mean, does the fat just not grow back? What the hell is it anyway, fat that's just trapped in your boobies and can't be burned off?

RaWBLooD

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks, so there really is another pec muscle on top. I guess I keep doing those incline presses then.

Yes but when a muscle is 2 different heads, it means they work as one, and grow as one.