Peacocking in College

XANEUS

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Any thoughts on peacocky type apparel for a college environment and on a college budget?

Two ideas I had...

1. Glow in the dark shirt, if I can figure out how to get/make one...

2. Top hat

Are these ridiculous?

Any other ideas?

alboh

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Unless I've got the wrong idea altogether, this sounds sort of dumb looking. A glow in the dark shirt with a top hat?!? Are you a member of Outkast? I can't imagine anyone being able to pull that one off.

I don't mean to be a fashion nazi but if you only have so much money I'd focus on getting some nice simple clothes (ones you can wear for several years without them going out of style) and spring for a few smaller items to accent and stand out.

XANEUS

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I didn't necessarily mean together, but if you could get an otherwise classy enough looking glow in the dark shirt (like a single color polo shirt), I guess you could. I was just looking for ideas.

As to the simple classy clothes thing, I do that now. I'm looking for something that will stand out at a party or bar, so that I get noticed (social proof) when I'm with girls. As I understand it, that is (roughly) what peacock theory is all about. You get noticed, girls get intrigued. If you're lucky, you might even get approached, although that isn't necessarily the goal.

Another Idea I had was to wear a flowy white shirt AND pants AND shoes, but If I get spilled on that's just asking for trouble.

XANEUS

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Specific situation: College Bars and Frat parties. Usually pretty crowded. People either standing around talking and drinking, or dancing. Talking in lit areas. Dancing in the relative dark.

Ragnar

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Well you certainly don't want to be the abercrombie/gap/express guy but just wear what YOU want to. Don't be fake or ridiculous.

XANEUS

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
again, thanks, but you're missing the point.

alboh: what sort of "smaller items" would you suggest?

XANEUS

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
what have you seen guys wearing/carrying at clubs and parties that got them attention? C'mon all you frat guys... you must have some ideas from all those theme parties...

SexPDX

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't think you are going to get good peacocking advice on this board. I am probably the only one who does it and I literally just started. Shoot me a PM with your email in it and maybe we can throw some pics back and forth and put together some ideas.

-PDX

diplomatic_lies

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just go naked. Stick your d*ck out. Thats REAL peacocking, specially if you have a 20 incher!

alboh

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have a Kangol newsboy hat that girls seem to love. If you can pull it off (it helps if you're slim and have a bit of jaw) it looks great and you can really stand out.

I also own a pair of classic white Reebok sneakers (http://www.zappos.com/n/p?dp=210741&c=14) that help me stand out. I only wear them out on weekends so I can keep them clean.

Finally, see if you have an Urban Outfitters store near your house (http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/). They have all kinds of good stuff for guys.

More ideas here: http://www.viceland.com/issues/v10n2/htdocs/dos.php

usandthem

Don Juan
Reaction score
A flouro shirt would be a bit '80's, a top hat would be a bit John Rockefeller/Monty Burns. Maybe some other sort of goofy hat, but not a top hat. Unless you had the entire pimp ensemble to go with it - purple suit, walking cane, gold chains, platforms with goldfish inside them, ho's etc

We can't guess your tastes for you, so you'll have to just copy off some other guy who looks good to you wearing something unusual.

One day at uni I wore weirdo retro space age red glasses, a puke-gree 70's track top, 3/4 length white pajama pants with spaceships on them, and bare feet. Girls actually did yell out at me & stuff, but i was too much of a stoner/afc to capitalise. so ymmv.

Pimp For A Living

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Peacocking...

Alright dude, if you are looking to peacock on a budget then Ebay is going to be your best friend.

Go on Ebay and do a search for the following items:

1. Dolce & Gabbana sunglasses men
2. Versace shirts men
3. Gucci sunglasses men
4. authentic vintage belt buckles
5. vintage necklaces men

...and things of that nature.

Necklaces, sunglasses, and the occasional cool shirt coupled with clean clothes, a cool hairstyle, and a confident attitude can get you peacocking in no time.

Think "celebrity" or "male model" when you are looking to purchase items for peacocking.

Go pick up a few fashion forward men's magazines and study the styles that the male models are wearing. Usually you can recreate these styles without having to purchase the original, outrageously expensive clothes.

Verbal

Don Juan
Reaction score
Verbal

ok listen, it doesnt sound like to many people in this forum peacock. well this is something that im good at and i yes i went to themed partys in college, i went to chico state, big party school. however there is a difference, you dont have a specific theme. now what you wanna do is stand out obviously. a top hat is kinda funny, you might wanna look into fadora hats. now when mystery first took out niel strauss aka style out he made him wear a red cowboy hat. he was approached by chicks. i just posted a thread on peacocking. you might look silly but i use what i call the "cool face" just look like you know what your doin and comfortable and dont give a f*ck who likes it or not.

a place you might want to try is a thrift store. they have alot of vintage clothing that chicks dig. me i never ever evr go out to a bar or party or club looking like all the other preppy guys. if i saw a guy in the club who was peacocked out like me i would have to suspect he was a PUA. BE DIFFERENT. i have never had failure in this department. wear watches and bracelets and necklace and glass's and rings and what ever excesory you want to. people will approach you if not it still is an easy conve starter. any questions e mail me.

Phrozen

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
What do you guys think of the belt buckles with a scrolling marquee? If you put something clever on there I think it would be a good idea.

Smooth Player 056

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You can get a glow in the dark shirt online...you can even cusomize stuff on it. Get some odd earings if you wear them, get a facke lip piercing (like mystery did once for peacocking), get an odd HUGE belt buckle, wear craZy shoes.

ScrewIt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Im not sure if it's peacocking. But i have a few nice shirts that i normally get complimented on by girls. They even ask me where i got it from.

One has a design on it like a big receipt. with the items listed and prices.

Another shirt i have is a brown grungy shirt with..hope & chaos written on it with a red flower.

It doesnt have to be anything bright/blinding or extravagent, just something unique/different from usual t-shirts that gives them a chance to compliment on it.

Derek Flint

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Marin County, CA - just North of San Francisco
Originally posted by Phrozen
What do you guys think of the belt buckles with a scrolling marquee? If you put something clever on there I think it would be a good idea.
How about "I'm a Try Hard"

PeoplesChamp

Don Juan
Reaction score
Get your ass in the gym and get ripped. That's the best way to get noticed in college. Trying to stand out by being a thoughtful, discriminate consumer is just indicative of how narrow-minded people are today. Observe how many guys on campus have guts or look like a good wind could knock them over like a bowling pin. Get in shape and you are already putting yourself ahead of all those AFCs.

(warning: doesn't not apply to those who look like they ran the 100 yard dash in a 90 yard gym.)