Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Overtraining?

il_duce

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey all, I started a bulking routine about 4 months ago at 6'0" 163 lbs., and about 6 weeks ago I reached 175. So far, so good. But since I hit 175 I am stuck. With the exception of my legs, I can't seem to up the weight on any of my exercises, and I can't gain a single pound. I've switched up the order of my exercises to no avail. I've added in a couple days of rest. I've been drinking a lot more water than usual. None of this is helping, so I'm guessing I might be overtraining a bit? Here are my main symptoms:

-Haven't gained any weight for 6 weeks
-Can't increase my lifts
-Feeling weak/fatigued during workouts
-It's harder to eat enough calories for some reason, like my stomach gets full way too quickly

Here's my current routine, I lift heavy and go from 6 reps to failure on each set(which makes it roughly 5-8 reps per set depending on the exercise):

day 1 legs:

2x6 leg press
2x6 leg curl
2x6 leg extension
2x6 calf raises

day 2 chest:
3x6 dip
2x6 pec flys
3x6 bench press

day 3 back:
3x6 pullup
3x6 seated cable row
2x6 narrow grip cable pulldown

rest

day 4 shoulders:
3x6 arnold press
3x6 lateral raise
3x6 shrugs

day 5 abs/core:
3x6 weighted crunches
2x6 reverse crunches
3x6 stiff-leg deadlifts

day 6 arms:
2x6 db curl
2x6 bb curl
3x6 skullcrushers

rest

So I know that I'm probably going to have to drop some exercises or sets and combine some of the days so I can get more rest and recovery for my muscles.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what exercises I should drop or what changes I can make to condense my program so I can get in some more rest time? And maybe suggestions for recovering from my current overtrained state?

Thanks

Lifeforce

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You should try a 3 or 4 day split just to see if it make any differnce. Training heavy 6 days a week, that's pretty hard on the body as you say youself. Especially if the body tells no with these signs you have. Try taking a whole week off the gym and start a 3 or 4 day split.

Routines you can find here:
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=143006

If you don't gain weight you should really try to eat more.

il_duce

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. Yeah, I guess since a lot of the lifts I'm doing right now are compound movements, I'm probably tiring myself out by going 6 days a week.

Just curious Lifeforce, how much do you eat when you're bulking? From reading your thread I see you're about the same size as me (you're maybe a little more cut though, cause this bulk is giving me a nice beer gut)...

Lifeforce

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
No prob. I like the legs+shoulders, chest+bis and back+tris one. It seems to work for me.

I guess it's around 3000 to 3500 cals per day. I want to gain weight a little slower now so I don't add absurd amounts off fat. How much do you take in?

il_duce

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I haven't been keeping track lately, so probably not enough.

I just try to eat normally, with the addition of 2 whey shakes that give me about 50g protein 70g carbs and 15g fat each. No idea what my other totals are, but I'm thinking ~150-200g protein per day. What pisses me off is that I would have to drink at least 3 of those shakes to be getting enough protein, and it's damn hard to fit in 6 meals a day with my schedule. I wish lean meats were a lot cheaper around here.

coolguy676767

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
For the guy said he had 2 protein shakes for 50g of protein and likt 50g of carbs or something, try EAS brand, it tastes good and doesnt have so many carbs, but then again your bulking so for you maybe its better, but I have 2 shakes at 2 scoops per shake, for 100 grams, but I weigh more so I need more, but if you need more protein, just add in an extra scoop, and only add in a little more milk, with the milk instead of water to make the shake you will gain considerably, you will get more protein and lots of milk is very important to gaining weight too.