ONEITIS - Lets Be Honest

Serg897

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A few months ago was the third time in my life I had become so attached, so dependent on a woman for psychological well being that I was unable to let go when things went awry, my inner AFC was unleashed and it led to great suffering for me.

This IS oneitis. That unhealthy attachment, that dependency. You are so invested into the relationship that withdrawal from it literally causes you to have symptoms, like a drug addict who is not getting his fix. Your emotions are extremely hard to control and you will do things that seem incredibly stupid afterwards, things that are ultimately counter-productive towards the relationship AND towards you. Very self-destructive. I know, because I've done it. Multiple times.

Its possible to get to the point where you get a sense of emptiness without your oneitis, a feeling that your quality of life is somehow diminished. Its a TERRIBLE disease!

We all see these memes in popular culture, music, media about "true love", about "the one", "soulmates", "my one special girl I'd do anything for", etc. I cant drive around listening to the radio without hearing a song that carries these memes.

It makes me sick, because I know that I've been fed these ideas since childhood and I've always been susceptible to them. Some men are naturally more/less monogamous than others, it seems - but I've found that I am naturally drawn towards sexual exclusivity, for whatever reason, and that has cultivated an unhealthy pattern of attachment towards whoever girl Im seeing that I am very attracted to. I've seen it happen in my life - repeatedly!!

I think this was the final kick I needed to seriously re-evaluate my mindset, my overall mentality when it comes to me and relationships with women. Obviously, whatever I was doing is causing me to crash and burn emotionally many times, and change is needed. I am going to evict my inner AFC after this experience, once and for all.

Last edited:

Unprez

Don Juan
Reaction score
lalahaha said:
my one-itis took a long time to cure
but basically what i did was make my working out into a habit, it makes you feel good whether you do it late at night when everyone's sleeping or right early in the morning when you just get up or whatever, it gives you like a temporary high that makes the rest of your day seem better

i also started hanging out more with my friends, going to birthday parties, becoming more social instead of just obsessing about a girl and in the process i've even improved my social skills, and my going on these outings i even met a few girl friends of my friends' and we flirt a little, and although i didn't really do anything to push it forward, it really helps when curing your one-itis and improving your self-esteem
And yet its interesting that when one is really affected with this desease one of the main symptoms is being anti-social which only makes it worse!

Thomas20

Don Juan
Reaction score
Having read the whole thread, I feel the need to add a few things that I think are still missing.
The subject which is not covered at all here is the difference between love and oneitis. Some people tend to think that if they got their "missed opportunity" or Ljbf Oneitis, then it would end. That the cure to oneitis is getting the girl. This is not true.
If you would actually get her, you would very soon scare her away, because this awful disease makes you not think clearly at all. You are a freaking mess, to a point where it could be almost described as insanity.

The thing is, you made her in your mind to this beautiful goddess that embodies everything you live for, if you could just be with her everything would be great. She is, in your mind, the ultimate way to your happiness, to everything you want and dream of. How could any person live up to that? She can't. And that is why she will, in your opinion, do everything wrong and you would constantly critisize her, blame her for everything that goes wrong in your life.

The reason you do that is, because you want a quick fix. A magic pill. You are absolutely not satisfied with your life and want a way out. There she is. You come to a point where every energy, everything you do is connected to her, because ultimately, in your mind, she is the key to your happiness. The really really bad thing is, in your mind, she is the ONLY key to it.

That is why you cant stop thinking about her. That is why you cant risk losing her. That is why you cant kiss her and you cant tease her and you cant talk to her like a normal person. You cant screw it up. You cant kill the only chance you'll ever get to be happy!
Tyler Durden says that your mind is constantly steered to what has the most value to you in every moment.
What could have more value than her?

So this is the first thing that needs to be understood.

She is not what you picture her to be. She is just a girl. Just a human with flaws.
Even if you got her, there would still be a million struggles, a million things bothering you. You would still strife for your goals.
You don't love her. You love an idea. An idea of easy happiness, an idea of a quick fix, an idea of the ideal girl, that has everything you could ever dream of, that is "the one".

You do that because you are incomplete. You are not satisfied with what you have, your life is not what you want it to be. You cant get other girls. And you have deep routed problems with your inner self.
There are certain things to draw you to your oneitis, that are deep routed wishes you got, like childhood stuff you never got over. For me, I felt unloved, so one big thing for me was just wanted to be loved. I was also loney, didn't really have a social life and a lot of friends, so she should be my buddy and make up for that. I never have had a girlfriend before, so she should end that, give me the whole experience and also the social status I missed.
A buddy of mine had a broken family, divorced parents, alcohol, stuff like that. One reason he was drawn to his oneitis was her big happy family.

So that's a big one. If you do not want to fall in Oneitis again, go soul searching. Ask yourself what it was that drew you to your oneitis, what was it that she embodied and that you so desperately craved?
Then give it to yourself.

You want sex. Get some. You want to get loved, love yourself. You are lonely, join a sport, meet new people, do something about it. Try to cover that hole inside yourself and try to give yourself everything that your oneitis should have given you.

We all strive for perfection. Every single one of us wants to be complete.
I don't know if it is a process that can truly be 100% completed, but at least you can try to get in that region. As this incompleteness fades, so does the oneitis and it will never come back again. Because there is just no reason. Why would you want someone to make you happy and complete yourself, if you already are complete?

And that is the road to love. That is the turning point where Oneitis ends and love begins. As you become complete, you become immune to oneitis and as you become immune you can now truly love a person for what this person really is.
Without wanting anything, without the NEED to be with her. You are complete, you are with her because she is great and gives you a good time and for that you truly love her. But love without fear, love without need, love without wanting something, all the good stuff without negativ emotions.

Yeah, as you might never make it to a 100% there will always be some negativ emotions, but compared to the hell you went through as an afc it will be nothing.

Some other thoughts:
One thing that really helps and conveys what I wrote is reading Eckhart Tolle. The power of now is great and gives you insights of how you are constantly unhappy because you cant stop thinking and living in the past or the future.

Another thing. Don't meet your Oneitis unless you have recovered fully, unless you are absolutey positive, that there is NOTHING you feel for her anymore. In which case there is really no point in seeing her, but if there is, for whatever reason, make sure every emotion is dead. She is like a black hole, if you haven't fully recovered she will suck you back in and you will start at the beginning.
The way I see it, it is almost like being an alcoholic. I once read someone who compared it with heroin addiction and everyone that had oneitis know how hard it can be to not text, not call and not see her.
So if you are an alcoholic you would not touch alcohol ever again (or at least for a long time), because every bottle of beer is dangerous and would probably be the reason you start drinking again.
Imagine seeing a sober alcoholic buddy of yours drinking a bottle of beer after being sober for 2 years. You would be shocked and feeling sorry for him, maybe you would hit that bottle out of his hand asking him if he is totaly stupid. Some thing goes for the guy and the oneitis.

One thing that's interesting to me is the following. My oneitis was sexually more compelling than anything I could ever imagine. If I have had the choice of every woman and her, I would not even had to think about it. Just looking in her eyes, being near her, smelling her breath, dancing, it all gave me an instant boner. She was like a really heavy fetish for me. I wonder if someone could feel so sexually compelled to someone without having Oneitis?
So this might be the only good thing Oneitis brings to the table, if you are able to have sex with her that is.

For all you guys in oneitis, ask your self this: how many other guys have oneitis for your chick? i bet its only YOU!
Actually it was me and two of my best friends. Which is really strange, because she really wasn't that pretty. Good thing no one got her. That would have been a really messy situation. :)

This IS oneitis. That unhealthy attachment, that dependency. You are so invested into the relationship that withdrawal from it literally causes you to have symptoms, like a drug addict who is not getting his fix. Your emotions are extremely hard to control and you will do things that seem incredibly stupid afterwards, things that are ultimately counter-productive towards the relationship AND towards you. Very self-destructive. I know, because I've done it. Multiple times.
That is so true. The dumb stuff I did when my emotions got the best of me...
Also, you are so invested, that the oneitis becomes part of you. You start to change as a person. You become bitter. And you start identifing yourself with the oneitis, with that sad numbing desastrous extremly painful feeling.
I have had it for such a long time, that it became a part of me. I couldn't even imagine how it must be not suffering, I didn't even know who I was anymore.

Serg897

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thomas, thanks for the post. Insightful.

One more thing I'd like to add that may be of help to some with this problem.

I have found a lot of eastern philosophy to be personally helpful. Buddhism isn't a religion in the traditional sense - it has nothing to do with accepting faith claims and doesnt have any theist memes.

It deals with suffering, and the cause of suffering. The second noble truth is that the origin of suffering is attachment, or craving. Once this attachment is eliminated suffering ends.

I have found this to be very applicable to oneitis. You have an attachment to something (a girl), and the loss of this girl causes you great suffering. Eastern philosophy and meditation has provided me with some profound insights that have changed the way I view consciousness and the world the past few months. It has been personally transformative.

May not be for everyone, especially if you subscribe to western religion, but I have found it to be very helpful!

Chromeo

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Havent read thru this whole thread so maybe someone has brought it up.

But what happens when you dont have a problem getting girls and better girls but you still have a desire to get that one that got away (still oneitis but...). Like the one problem you cant solve, the one mountain you cant climb. Sure youve been on many fun adventures, but there just some challenges or adventures you cant seem to beat.

for example lebron james, hes about to not win another NBA championship in cleveland. Should he stick it out? or move on? say he moves on and wins a championship or two, thats gonna be great fun and a huge goal accomplished, but he still has that need to bring one to his home town....

a good family friend of mines parents just got divorced, the wife had an affair with a high school sweat heart that she claims to have "still been in love with". I thought they had the perfect marriage, very succesful, fun loving, good looking family. Makes me question marriage at all, people always changing....

my oneitis has said to me even "i like the idea of you" and "in a perfect world i would love to run away with you"
now that I think about it, that was the whole reason our relationship was so terrible. We both liked the idea of each other but didnt actually like each other, there were big things missing but big pieces present. But that just doesnt make sense, how we could both like the idea but just not make it work....

monishad4

Reaction score
Unprez said:
And yet its interesting that when one is really affected with this desease one of the main symptoms is being anti-social which only makes it worse!
Sometimes a person affected with the disease can become very introverted as well. I had a friend who completely shut himself off from all contacts, even his best friends, as soon as he found the "love of his life". Sure enough, the relationship did not last long :(