Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

On tipping.

DogFashionDisco

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Before I tell you what happened to me today, I just have to say, always tip. A waiter that is...

Today I went to a restaurant called On The Border with my friend. I like this place because of their good chips and salsa. Our waiter was a pretty cool guy. He was humorous and just plain cool and looked like he got laid everyday. At the end, after we payed for our meal, before we tipped, we saw the guy walk out of the restaurant (we were sitting outside), with a girl, to his car, which then drove away. Now being our stupid selves, we thought that the guy was either being cool about tipping, or just plain leaving for something. So we thought, this could be a chance to get away without tipping! Considering we were gonna tip him $10 for a $28 meal. That's exactly what we did. Well on our way back (we walked there), my friend forgot his skateboard at the place. So we're like "oh ****" and we run back. Only to not find it. We look around the restaurant (the board was like $150), but unable to find it (we even asked the waiter, but he said nope... but I later saw a smirk on his face), finally we go to the manager and he says he'll ask the bartenders and stuff. Finally our waiter comes out, makes a scene about how "maybe next time you should tip your waiter" which then ends in an "ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" by the people near us. So we walked out of there, I felt like the biggest ****ing jackass in the world, and I only saved $10. Not worth it I say. :down:

Ricky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well what you did wasn't cool, but what they presumably did wasn't cool at all either. I'd crack some skulls over that lost skateboard. They are hiding it.

Alot of restauraunt workers aren't so trustable here in the US.
I know because I've dated alot of girls that work as waitresses.

The thing is, in other countries being a server is seen as a good profession. But here alot of the lazy dingbats who didn't try in school are the ones and that's why we get ****ty service in restaurants.

That being said I generally tip well anyways.

Phyzzle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Karma's a bych.

oakraiderz2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So you didnt get your skateboard? Hell, id tell the manager or file a complaint with someone higher up. Im shocked he made a scene and the manager didnt do jack.

insanity

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
that's the great thing about having a woman. they are the ones to usually spot how crappy a waitress is and if she is the one complaining about the service than i just hand her the bill and give her the money and she doesn't leave a tip... because women don't leave other women tips. its just their nature. my girl always thinks the waitresses are flirty with me hence they get no tip.

and sometimes i think that why should you leave a tip when thats their job. hell when i fix someones crappy pipes i don't get a tip for wading in poop...why, because its my job.

DogFashionDisco

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Oh, no, the waiter did bring out the skateboard right before he made the scene, so we did get it back. But he did hide it I think. All I know is that I made a mistake, and I know I'm not gonna do it again. Cause this is the first time I've never tipped. And I usually tip like 20%. 15% for ****ty service (unless it was terrible or the waiter was an ass, then they get zip).

dj ben2

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
lol fuking tipping is a bich... here in AUS not many ppl tip cos waiters and **** get ample wages but wen i waz in thailand we ordered room service and the price was so fuking high we had to pay 10% service charge 7% tax on top of the alredy jacked up price.now coming for AUS we didnt tip and u shoulda seen this guy he stormed out of the room and threw the bill on the floor. well it was then we learned that when in rome do as the romans do.

Shiftkey

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ricky said:
The thing is, in other countries being a server is seen as a good profession. But here alot of the lazy dingbats who didn't try in school are the ones and that's why we get ****ty service in restaurants.
Bull****. Sometimes servers will give ****ty service when the customer is an ass, or when other customers are hogging attention with stupid requests or a refill every 2 minutes (you know who you are), but it's rarely out of laziness. Maybe you just need to remember that you're not the only table in the server's section.

In fact I'd argue that there are less lazy people who are servers than most other jobs. Do you have any idea how much we have to run around in a shift? That does not attract the lazy personality like many desk jobs do.

I also want to add that 2 of the servers in my restaurant have master's degrees, and (I think) 6 have bachelor's. The majority of the remaining servers are still in college. Most servers are college students who need to pay rent while they go to school.

oakraiderz2 said:
So you didnt get your skateboard? Hell, id tell the manager or file a complaint with someone higher up. Im shocked he made a scene and the manager didnt do jack.
Most restaurant managers were once servers, so they know what it's like when someone doesn't tip even though you gave good service. I've even had managers run into the parking lot to ask a customer why they didn't tip when the service was good.

insanity said:
and sometimes i think that why should you leave a tip when thats their job. hell when i fix someones crappy pipes i don't get a tip for wading in poop...why, because its my job.
It's part of the cost of eating in a restaurant. You do get a paycheck for wading in poop right? Well that's what a tip is to servers. You know what my paycheck was from minimum wage after taxes for the last two weeks? About $50. And I live in California where minimum wage is $7.50 (formally $6.75 before Jan 1).

As for the OP, serves you right you son of a *****. I would've kept the skateboard and sold it on eBay for my tip. Next time get fast food you cheap ****.

musclyjerk

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Shiftkey said:
You know what my paycheck was from minimum wage after taxes for the last two weeks? About $50. And I live in California where minimum wage is $7.50 (formally $6.75 before Jan 1).
Try working more hours.

The Muscly Jerk

diplomatic_lies

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This is why I prefer to eat at cheaper restaurants, rather than the snobbish upscale places. Most small restaurants have $5 meals, you give them 20% tip. Total cost of your food is only $6. And quite often, the only difference between an expensive and cheap restaurant is how expensive the decor is.

oakraiderz2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Shiftkey said:
Most restaurant managers were once servers, so they know what it's like when someone doesn't tip even though you gave good service. I've even had managers run into the parking lot to ask a customer why they didn't tip when the service was good.
Well when i used to serve my managers were pushovers i guess. They would comp meals if the cust complained about anything. If we got stiffed...that sucked. If the cust said we did something and we explain, we were usually wrong. They were b*tches.

PRMoon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
oakraiderz2 said:
Well when i used to serve my managers were pushovers i guess. They would comp meals if the cust complained about anything. If we got stiffed...that sucked. If the cust said we did something and we explain, we were usually wrong. They were b*tches.
Hehe, that sounds like some of the managers I've had. Did they really do anything in the end though other then yell? Usually at my jobs, I could talk back to them becaue good help is hard to find and I was a good employee and they knew it. I remember working register and when I was quitting because I decided to go into sales, they offered me raises during my two weeks even though they use to get on me all the time. Turns out my register was two the penny every day for longer then any other register worker they had since they opened the restarunt.

That's one thing I'll never agree with in terms of bosses. They sometimes think by negative reinforcement and no rewards they're going to keep smart people who can do better at mediocre jobs. Ah well I'm sure the didn't miss me THAT much after I left.:p

Shiftkey

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
musclyjerk said:
Try working more hours.

The Muscly Jerk
Oh I do try. I'll frequently pick up extra shifts from servers that need the day off. The thing about restaurants is that all servers are part time. They don't offer full time employment because it would cause people to burn out too quickly and because of the way shifts are divided up. There's a lunch shift and a dinner shift. Each is around 5 to 6 hours and centered on the lunch/dinner rush. So it's impossible to work your regular desk job 8 hour shift. Either you're in overtime, which shoots labor costs through the roof, or you take a single 5-6 hour shift. Generally servers don't work more than 4 or 5 shifts a week because, like I said, it causes most people to burn out too quickly. Serving is a very stressful job. You have no idea how rude and demanding people can be until you work as a server. The people who can handle it have two jobs, but then instead of 1 $50 paycheck every 2 weeks, they get 2 $50 paychecks, which is obviously still crap.

Oxide

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
**** being a server. Let the women do it.

Become a bartender, a bouncer at a cool place, a DJ (or just the guy who cues the music) or the promoter. Other than that, get some other job that will help down the line with business (if you are into that)

RedPill

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Shiftkey said:
Serving is a very stressful job. You have no idea how rude and demanding people can be until you work as a server. The people who can handle it have two jobs, but then instead of 1 $50 paycheck every 2 weeks, they get 2 $50 paychecks, which is obviously still crap.
Everyone should be made to work in a restaurant at some point point in their youth, so they can see things from the other side of the coin. It's amazing when you see people in restaurants, hotels, etc treat the staff like dog sh1t.

If someone wants a staff member who serves them exclusively, is highly trained, and is paid well enough that they're not enduring the constant stress of making ends meet, then they should be frequenting five-star joints where there's no prices on the menu and meals start at $25 a plate.

EDIT: And to the original poster, the skateboard is a small price to pay for this life lesson. I've seen much larger dollar amounts lost over similar A-hole behavior.

Reaction score
you got what you deserved

Mjazz

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Moral of the story: If your going to be a b itch, make sure you can get away with it.

The Forms

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
First off, I waited tables for a little over a year, so I DO know what I'm talking about here (for anyone who's going to think I don't know what you're going through).

I think it is hilarious how waiters act like they have the hardest jobs on earth. They complain about how busy it gets, as if no one else on earth has a busy job. To be honest, most of us do have busy jobs. The difference is guys like me are busy for 8 solid hours, whereas waiters are actually BUSY busy for maybe 3 or 4 hours.

Waiters are so indignant about their jobs because every restaurant is like a high school. This cool kids, the not cool kids, lots of gossip, who ****ed who, et cetera. And they all sit around and ***** about how hard their job is. Which is fine and all, but don't assume that anyone else cares. Trust me, there are jobs that are plenty harder. I've had a few of them.

On the subject of the post, hate to break it to you guys, but a tip is not a thing you are owed. People don't HAVE to tip. If it was it would be automatically included in the check. People tip because it is a social convention we (in America at least) have decided to adopt. But since it is only a convention, if someone decides they don't want to do it, they have that right. You can call them *******s, or make incoherent, empty statements about karma, but at the end of the day you're not changing anything.

seanchai

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The Forms said:
Waiters are so indignant about their jobs because every restaurant is like a high school. This cool kids, the not cool kids, lots of gossip, who ****ed who, et cetera. And they all sit around and ***** about how hard their job is. Which is fine and all, but don't assume that anyone else cares. Trust me, there are jobs that are plenty harder. I've had a few of them.
I love it. Clothing retail is just like high school too, except clothing retailers don't seem to b¡tch as much.

This leads me to believe waiters have a harder job than me.

At least I hope they do.